Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Blown speaker

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown speaker

Recently I blew a door speaker and the sound is getting worse. The sound system is factory does anybody know were I can find a replacemnet or should I just buy a better speaker from somwhere? Any reccomondations thanks?
Old 06-24-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you go to the parts for sale section or parts wanted section you will find somebody selling their stock speakers...I replaced all of my door and sail panel speakers at least twice before I went to after market speakers and head unit..the head unit is what is blowing all your speakers it is junk and sends out a distorted signal that kills the speakers..you can usually buy them cheap I think that the most I ever paid for a set was like $30..
Old 06-28-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

check out the stickies--a lot of people are using alpines
Old 06-28-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

this just happened to me too, my passenger door speaker and the one right behind the driver both are going out. can the door speakers be used from any model or just monsoon? and if i get a new head unit it should help prevent this?
Old 07-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Teching In

on the camaro you have to use the stock connector on the door speakers. the door speakers are double wired (pos and neg for tweeter and pos and neg for mid). The trans am is different because the tweeter is separate. if you replace the speakers with aftermarket ones, twist both positives together and both negatives together then wire up the aftermarket speakers to the wires that r twisted together. This ensures that you will get both the tweeter signals and mid signals. the speakers behind the front seats i recommend just getting good factory ones. They only receive a mid signal.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

The ones in the sail panel are crap get some good ones and you will not be disapointed..I replaced the head unit, the door speakers, the sail panel speakers, and kept the monsoon amp and hatch back area speakers...the stock amp is not bad but the head unit is **** and will blow speakers time after time because of the distored signal it sends out...my stereo sounds a million times better than the monsoon system...the monsoon speakers are not very good quality ..
Old 07-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Teching In

I just replaced both of my door speakers with GM replacements. They run about $90 each, but GMparts direct has them for about $47 each and I just have the local service dept. order them and match the price so I don't pay for shipping. The bummer with the door speakers is removing the entire door panel to replace them, I struggled for an hour before I found out that removing the door lock tab allows the entire panel to come off.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have several options to replace your door speakers and can definetly set you up with something that will far outlast the stockers and outperform the stock ones. I can also guide you through what it takes to install them properly. Not a complicated install but it is different then just throwing a set of new speakers in. As stated above the Monsoon system is wired a bit differently then the average speaker. PM me if I can be of assistance as I have done these upgrades to the stock Monsoon systems more times then I can count for both the Firebird and Camaro systems.
For the kind of money you'd spend on stock units new I can get you a nice aftermarket speaker that will sound much better and last as long as you have the car. I can walk you through the door panel removal which once you've done one is easy to do the other.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
I have several options to replace your door speakers and can definetly set you up with something that will far outlast the stockers and outperform the stock ones. I can also guide you through what it takes to install them properly. Not a complicated install but it is different then just throwing a set of new speakers in. As stated above the Monsoon system is wired a bit differently then the average speaker. PM me if I can be of assistance as I have done these upgrades to the stock Monsoon systems more times then I can count for both the Firebird and Camaro systems.
For the kind of money you'd spend on stock units new I can get you a nice aftermarket speaker that will sound much better and last as long as you have the car. I can walk you through the door panel removal which once you've done one is easy to do the other.
This guy knows what he is talking about..I can't beleive you paid that mcuh for factory speakers..... you paid too much and got too little .. Kee Audio sold me some bad azzz speakers and it was $$ well spent..Ian (owner of Kee) will take good care of you!!