Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What gauge wire for my amp?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default What gauge wire for my amp?

Looking to put a small amp in my TA. It's only pushing like 200 watts RMS, so I don't need nothing big. It came with my previous car and it had a 8 gauge wire with a 40 amp blade type fuse in it. I left all the wiring it that car when I sold it. So now I'm looking at wiring kits. Right now I'm looking at Crutchfield cause I get a discount there. I see the Rockford kits have a 60 amp AGU style fuse? What's the difference between blade and AGU? If the AGU fuse pops and I'm going to have a bitch of a time finding a replacement? Also, since my TA has no wiring yet, should I step up to a 4 gauge wire in case I do want to go bigger with my amp (very unlikely) further down the road? Will a LARGE gauge wire make my small amp unhappy? Thanks for any help!
Old 06-29-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as long as you can get the 4 ga in the amp thats what i would do. you can find thoses fuses at circut city or best buy..maybe even walmart.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

just go to wal mart and get one of the kits from there.
they have 4ga amp kits cheap.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:40 PM
12 Second Club

yeah i would go with the 4 gauge, cause if u want bigger subs/amp later an 8 will starve them. theres no harm in going with a bigger wire then what you need. Also when shopping for wire make sure the wire is AWG. if its not AWG certified wire you'll need to go one size size bigger to get the same amount of wire. EX- cheap 4 gauge wire has about as much actual wiring as a AWG 8 gauge wire, the cheap wire simply has a bigger jacket covering the wires to make the outside diameter 4 gauge.

Helpful Illustrations:

Old 06-29-2008, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a great illustration. The "Brand X" around here like at Murray's, or Meijer or Wal-mart is made by Schoshe. I've never heard of them, but have been kind of weary of using it. I would trust Rockford Fosgate or Streetwires. I believe even the EFX that Crutchfield sells is basically Schoshe in a different packing. So would you guys touch EFX / Schoshe or should I just coin up for the Fosgate. Streetwire seems top notch and really overkill for my application.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got Rockford Fosgate 4 gauge from best buy. That **** is thick! I'm about to buy another one for my DD. I'd say just spend the extra money on rockford wiring you won't be disappointed.