Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

External sub amp to factory Bose head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default External sub amp to factory Bose head unit?

i did a search 1st and came up with alot of info but nothing that i could use easily.
I've got a C5 with the factory Bose cd player and i want to add a sub amplifier to the car but not sure how to get the signal since it obviously doesn't have RCA sub out lol - Do i have to use one of those gay line inverter things where you tap into the rear speaker wires and its a box that converts it to RCA's???

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on a c5 there is actually line level output behidn the headunit, you just need to splice in rca ends and you are set, no need for any boxes. A Line out converter actually wont work in a vette either because the speakers are high passed. PM me your email address and ill get you the diagram and give you a quick how to
Old 07-08-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

PM Sent
Old 03-02-2014, 11:48 AM

Default help with Bose

Could someone please message me and tell me how to do this? I installed a sub and amp last night and used a Scosche line converter but it just doesn't work. The instructions I found to do it were to wire the converter in behind the head unit into the front speaker wires. Obviously I did something wrong because no sound comes out of the sub. Also, I was told not to run it from the rear speakers because they do not have any bass, it is filtered out in the head unit? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Why send the instructions in a PM? No secrets, post it here so others searching for the info can find it!
Old 03-03-2014, 07:15 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by cliff04
Could someone please message me and tell me how to do this? I installed a sub and amp last night and used a Scosche line converter but it just doesn't work. The instructions I found to do it were to wire the converter in behind the head unit into the front speaker wires. Obviously I did something wrong because no sound comes out of the sub. Also, I was told not to run it from the rear speakers because they do not have any bass, it is filtered out in the head unit? Any help would be appreciated.
First of all, what kind of car and audio system? This thread was specific to the Corvette version of a Bose system which is very different from any 4th generation f-body including the Camaro Bose system that was available 93-96 (and already included a sub).

If you have a C5 Corvette then no line level converter is necessary because the Bose HU already produces line level signal. If you have a Monsoon system then you should first read the Monsoon FAQ at the top of the section. The best place to use a line level converter is directly behind the head unit (or at the INPUT side of the Monsoon amp) because the signal has not been amplified as much. Failing that, signal at the sail panel subs is entirely bass (filtered by the amp).
Old 09-18-2020, 04:48 PM

Default Help pls

no sound sony MEX-N5100BT bose 1995 check coupe

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
on a c5 there is actually line level output behidn the headunit, you just need to splice in rca ends and you are set, no need for any boxes. A Line out converter actually wont work in a vette either because the speakers are high passed. PM me your email address and ill get you the diagram and give you a quick how to
Old 09-18-2020, 05:40 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Jessica Harr
no sound sony MEX-N5100BT bose 1995 check coupe
Is this some spam bot? I don't understand what I'm reading here.

Quick Reply: External sub amp to factory Bose head unit?