Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Keep blowing amber bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Keep blowing amber bulbs

I installed a set of clear corners with the amber bulbs, but since I installed them I' ve already blown 3 bulbs. I' ve only had these for a few months now, and have already burned more amber bulbs, that clears during the 130k miles I' ve put on the car. I' m thinking it has something to do with the damn bulbs burning so hot, and possibly the glass of the bulb is weakened by the amber tinting. The area around the bulb on the light socket itself is burned and partially melted. Is it common for the socket to get so hot that it melts the damn plastic? Is there anything I can use to lower the power of these sockets? Some kind of resister or something?
Old 07-26-2008, 01:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the socket is burnt it is probably from years of moisture and corrosion getting into the plug causing resistance in the connection which is making the connector get hot which is turning it brown or even black. This could be why you are blowing bulbs. You should be able to buy a replacement socket and cut the old socket wires and solder in the new socket and you should be good to go.

Also with some bulbs if you touch them with your hands you get grease from your fingers on them and it shortens the life of the bulb. Try not touching the bulb with your bare hands as you put it in. This could also be the problem.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm, sounds feasible. The sockets don' t look corroded, and there is still some of that electrical contact grease in the contacts. I' ll look into replacing the sockets though. I' m also pretty careful not to touch the bulb, then wipe off the oils from my hands that I put on them. Thanks for your help!
Old 07-26-2008, 02:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

low blinker fluid.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
low blinker fluid.
Does Mobil 1 or Royal Purple make a synthetic blinker fluid??
Old 07-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you getting water inside the housing? The housing isn't water tight seal. So when you wash your car or drive through the rain water will get in there. My solution or what I did to mine is: drill a small hole at the bottom corner or lowest point of the housing where the water can drain. Its the blinker fluid that F***s up your bulb.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure you use dielectric grease too.