Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Windows won't roll down if stereo not on!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008 | 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Default Windows won't roll down if stereo not on!?!?!?!

My stereo is an aftermarket deck and lately, the power has been flashing on and off...well when the stereo is being gay and not on, my windows are disabled and wont roll down....WTF?!?!?! Please someone fill me in on that the hell is going on...Thanks

Joey
Old 07-28-2008 | 04:58 PM
Banned

That is the BCM (body control module) doing that to you. From what I've gathered their is a dark blue wire that goes to it that sometimes gets strained and can do exactly what you are describing. It may need to be replaced or the wiring may need to be repaired.
It is located under the glove box. Check the harness that goes into it and see if the wires are ok.
Correction, behind the glove box.
Old 07-28-2008 | 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Is that dark blue wire go to my stereo deck in any way?? Ill go check it out to see what going on with it...
Old 07-28-2008 | 06:59 PM
Banned

This should help explain the RAP and BCM further from a post Whitebird did:

"The radio and windows are powered by the RAP (Retained Accessory Power) circuit which continues to provide power for several minutes after the ignition is turned off until a door is opened. The RAP circuit is controlled by the BCM (Body Control Module) - a black box about the size of a paperback mounted to the ductwork under the dash behind the glovebox.

Several members have experienced intermittent cut-out of the RAP circuit causing the radio and windows to stop functioning even when the car is running. This can be caused by a loose connection of the RAP wire at the BCM, a loose pin in the BCM connector, or a faulty BCM. The first two conditions can be repaired but the BCM itself is not serviceable - it can only be replaced.

Check for a loose wire or pin by moving the dark blue wire in the black BCM connector to see if the radio cuts out. If you don't find a loose connection then you'll have to replace the BCM. A new BCM will program itself to match the resistor in your ignition key when it is first activated. This programming can only happen once - once set, the BCM can not be reprogrammed. A used BCM has only a 1 in 15 chance of matching the resistor in your ignition key so you probably will need to bypass the VATS Pass-Key II system. VATS bypass is a fairly common procedure used when installing remote start systems so most good car audio shops can do it for you. You can do it yourself for the cost of a few resistors if you have some electrical experience."