Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Upgrading Monsoon Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Monsoon Speakers

Would you be able to upgrade the speakers by just replacing them or ive heard that can be a problem with the monsoon setup. thanks.
Old 08-31-2003, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Upgrading Monsoon Speakers

You can replace them, but you need to use 2 ohm speakers (or 4 ohm, dual voice coil speakers). Other than that you can replace them without any problems.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:56 PM
wrencher

Any recommendations as in brands?Model #'s etc.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt
Old 09-03-2003, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any recommendations as in brands?Model #'s etc.
Image Dynamics. But I think powering those with the stock amp is a federal offense in some state.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Orion has some really cool 3ohm, dual voice coil, 5 1/2", door speakers. They have a really nice 'Heavy Duty' look to them and have a little 'directional' tweeter so you can sort of 'tune' the direction that your high's travel.
They were about $140 a pair, but seemed much nicer than stock. Easy, drop in replacement... I think the part number was the CS130???
Old 09-27-2003, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

you dont HAVE TO use 2 Ohm speakers, and in fact standard 4 ohm speakers CAN sound better than the factory speakers. Why??? Because while you are losing power by running a 4 ohm speaker from a 2 ohm source, a GOOD aftermarket speaker is MUCH more efficient than the factory speakers are. So while they get less power, they can put out with what they have better. I just replaced the speakers on my TA and you can definitely hear the difference with my new ones, they do sound better. I installed Rockford Fosgate RFP4406 6.5 subs in the back, and Alpine SPS-170A 6.5's in the front AND Alipne S seris Tweeters in the factory tweeter location. I didnt bother with the rears as they are small and just filler anyway. The Fosgates thump HARDER than the factory subs, and they are SVC 4 ohm subs.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

when you say back, which location are you talking about....the speakers by the rear seat or in the hatch?
Old 09-29-2003, 06:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Why??? Because while you are losing power by running a 4 ohm speaker from a 2 ohm source, a GOOD aftermarket speaker is MUCH more efficient than the factory speakers are. So while they get less power, they can put out with what they have better.
Actually 99% of the time a factory speaker is more efficient than a aftermarket because a factory speaker is usually made of paper while a aftermarket is made of polypropelin or other "heavier" materials requiring more power to move the same distance. They will sound nicer usually which can confuse some people to believing that the are more efficient.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why??? Because while you are losing power by running a 4 ohm speaker from a 2 ohm source, a GOOD aftermarket speaker is MUCH more efficient than the factory speakers are. So while they get less power, they can put out with what they have better.
Actually 99% of the time a factory speaker is more efficient than a aftermarket because a factory speaker is usually made of paper while a aftermarket is made of polypropelin or other "heavier" materials requiring more power to move the same distance. They will sound nicer usually which can confuse some people to believing that the are more efficient.
MMMMM not really, while yes aftermarket speakers are made of heavier material, they also have better magents, better more efficient voice coils, that are vented properly, and can therefore (assuming you have the right speaker) sound better, and run more afficiently than a stock speaker with just as little power.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:57 PM
TECH Veteran

MMMMM not really, while yes aftermarket speakers are made of heavier material, they also have better magents, better more efficient voice coils, that are vented properly, and can therefore (assuming you have the right speaker) sound better, and run more afficiently than a stock speaker with just as little power.
For the most part there are not better or worse magnets just bigger and smaller. A bigger and smaller magnet driving the same size speaker will have the same output levels. The larger magnet can handle a higher level of power so in turn it is capable of being louder but is not louder if all else is equal. Voicecoils are just a carrier that moves the speaker, there are larger ones for higher output setups and smaller ones for lower outputs. Most aftermarket voicecoils are larger and heavier than factory speakers, why? Because they are moving heavier speakers so it has to keep up with the heavier cone and surround or it will fail. Venting a voicecoil in no way affects efficiency, it mearly is used as a cooling device to prolong the life of the sub or speaker. :p
Old 10-02-2003, 01:55 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

For the most part there are not better or worse magnets just bigger and smaller.

There are magnets made from different materials that produce magnets of different stengths. Ever compare a cheap refrigerator magnet to one found in a harddrive? The one from a harddrive may be about the same size, but its much much stronger (and more fragile). I have a roughly 1/4 x 1/4 X 1/4 inch piece of a "rare-earth" magnet holding up a bunch of paper on my refridgerator. It broke off a larger magnet (1/2 X 1/2 X 2 inch) that I once had two of. You cound put one on either side of your hand and they would stongly pull together and make a sandwich with your hand in the middle. It was fragile though. I accidently let them collide and they cracked (kinda shattered), but of course there was no mess since they all attracted eachother.

You are right in that most speaker magets are the same and only differ in size, but some companies are more innovative and use different magnets.

Now as to which is more efficient -- cheap stock paper speakers or aftermarket polypropelene -- I don't know. You can probably find out through a search on google.

--VIP1
(sorry for the long reply)
Old 10-02-2003, 07:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What's a good replacement for the rear passenger speaker?(not the hatch)