Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need Help With Hookup!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 10:08 PM
***Scammer Alert!!!***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help With Hookup!!

I have the stock radio and bought a sub and amp but do not have the hook ups. What wires do I need to splice into?? anyone have pics to show what it should look like hooked up?
Old 09-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you buy a hi/lo converter and amp kit? The hi/lo level converter converts your speaker level signal to low level so you can run your RCA's into your amp. The amp kits have all the necessary wiring: power, ground, remote turn on, speaker wire, inline fuse, misc. crimp connectors, etc.
You can't just splice into existing wire to power an amp. The reason is that the stock wiring is not thick enough to handle an aftermarket amp. Power wire is usually 8awg or more depending on the power of the amp. Ground is the same gauge as the power wire.
You may have known this already but it wasn't mentioned so I'm just covering bases.
Buy yourself an amp kit and a hi/lo level converter and you'll be good to go on your install. Also a battery terminal adapter make things easier to. This is a replacement terminal that has an extra bolt on the end to attach your power cable that runs to your amp. Makes for a cleaner install and easier on you.
I have all of these things if you need them. I would need to know what amp you have to get an idea of which amp kit you'd need though. You can also purchase these items at places like Walmart but expect to pay more money. The last amp install kit I put together was about $50.00 for everything needed (ALL of the above listed) including extra 12awg speaker wire and shipping. It was a nice 8awg amp kit with twisted double sheilded RCA's and true 8awg wire.
Hope this helps some!! Good luck!