Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Camaro steath box in a Cadillac . . .

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Camaro steath box in a Cadillac . . .

Sold my Camaro, looking to put my amp and sub in my new Cadillac(its a 91 Brougham, the big boxy one).

Getting rid of the factory stereo, putting in:
JVC headunit
Nertz 5.5" coaxial door speakers(stock location for this car)
Alpine 6x9s in rear deck
JL 300/4 amp(300 watts four ways)
Alpine 10" sub in the camaro stealth sub box(it orginally went in the left rear portion of the camaro's trunk).

When I had my Camaro, I had the amp wired up to the front 6.5" door speakers(componet speakers), and the rear channels were bridged to power the sub. Rear sail speakers ran off the headunit power.

I plan to wire everything up the same way in my Cadillac, but I'm wondering if it will sound as good since the sub will be in the trunk, and the door speakers won't be as big. Thinking about getting a sub amp as well, but I don't know if it'll make that big of a difference.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

personally, i'd just sell the stuff you have to someone else with a camaro/firebird, then get stuff that fits the new car.

up front, just get whatever fits in the stock locations, and i'd personally get a couple of subs and mount them in the rear deck with some speaker grilles, so that they fire right inside the passenger compartment, with a custom sub box that mounts underneath the rear deck inside the trunk.

it may be a little bit more work (if you do it yourself) or a little more expensive (if you have someone else do it), but i think the payoff would be well worth it. you don't have to go huge on the subs, maybe just a couple 8" or 10" subs, or even a single 8" or 10" sub right in the center of the rear deck, with a pair of 6.5" coaxial speakers in the rear deck to replace the 6x9's, with some 6x9" speaker grilles to cover them to make it look as stock as possible.

6x9's suck

if you put enough power to the 5 1/4" speakers up front, they should sound just fine....or you could just enlarge the opening of the front speaker locations and put 6.5" speakers up front also.

if you go with a pair of speakers up front and a pair of speakers in the rear, plus a single or dual subs, definitely get a sub amp to drive the sub(s) separately. if you just go with a single pair of speakers up front and a single sub or pair of subs in the rear, just keep the amp you've got and run the front pair in stereo, and bridge the rear 2 channels to power the sub(s).

Last edited by 02Z28LS1; 09-30-2008 at 02:43 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just curious as to why 6x9's suck . . .

Also, I'm not going to hack up the car by mounting subs in the rear package shelf. I guess I'll put all this in and see how it sounds . . .
Old 10-02-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know why but I've always viewed 6x9's as the bastard children speakers, lol! But I have heard some decent sound come out them and a lot of earlier models come with them so I would just replace them. I'm sure you could come up with a way to mount the stealth box in there but with that huge trunk I would think it would be drowned out with all that space.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

An oval speaker (any size - not just 6x9) can't reproduce sound as accurately as a round speaker because the voice coil can't drive the cone evenly around its entire surface (unless the cone is made from very stiff material which introduces other sound quality issues).

However, most of the time when we object to people installing 6x9 speakers it's because they are replacing round speakers ("can I put 6x9's in my sail panels?") - basically a dumb thing to do because you have to modify the car to mount a speaker that would be inferior to what would fit there without modification. But if your car already has 6x9 speakers then there is nothing wrong with replacing them with the same size. The sound may not be quite as good as the equivalent round speaker but the difference will be small and it's not worth modifying the mounting for.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just get a new box for the sub. maybe a slot ported type if you sub will work in that box.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:34 PM
9 Second Club

If you end up selling the stealth box, i'll buy it. Sent PM