Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Hidden Tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hidden Tail lights

Is there any way to put a switch in to cut on and off the rear lights(brake light, blinker, running lights) but still have the headlights on? If so can someone point me in the right direction with it and details on it......Thanx
Old 10-01-2008, 05:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Sure, but it's illegal as hell on a street car. Make sure it's well hidden if you do it to a street car. Other than that I have no idea exactly how to do it.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you could wire in a N/C contact of a relay on the Brown wire , Pin C of the tail light harness connector.
Attached Thumbnails Hidden Tail lights-taillights.jpg  
Old 10-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

Thanx! What kind of switch would be the best to use?
Old 10-02-2008, 12:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just curious, why would you want to do that?
Old 10-02-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ilovemywhitepony
Thanx! What kind of switch would be the best to use?
The switch doesn't really matter as much as the relay does. The relays contacts need to be able to handle the amperage of the circuit.

Originally Posted by bill12690
The only reason I could think of is illegal
Old 10-02-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bill12690
to bust out the Batmobile super stealth trick!!!!!...lol... To the OP just dont be stupid and forget to turn them on at night or else your gunna end up with a salvaged car and a lawsuit when they check out the neat little switch thats hidden, or wire cut and rerouted for you tailight...
Old 10-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I going to leave the switch closed always and have the switch to open the circuit. I mean I have a black car so no tail lights runnin from the popo's would definetly help if I ever get in that situation. I thought it would be neat just to try and see how hard it would be to do it.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

I mean I have a black car so no tail lights runnin from the popo's would definetly help if I ever get in that situation.
Dumb...turn a speeding ticket into a criminal charge. And no matter how fast you think you are, you can't outrun police radio - they don't have to chase you, they can just radio ahead for somebody to block the road.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

True there but if they cant see what kinda car it is to begin with. I was just askin a simple ? about it. Ive heard of people doing it and I was wondering how hard it was to do. I dont go out to run from the cops Im just sayin I think it would be neat if you was put in that situation.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

True there but if they cant see what kinda car it is to begin with. I was just askin a simple ? about it. Ive heard of people doing it and I was wondering how hard it was to do. I dont go out to run from the cops Im just sayin I think it would be neat if you was put in that situation.
Please sell your car before you kill somebody.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

I know it's bad, but I give you props to take on a pig.

Too bad you have no real chance . . . . . Well maybe 1 out of a 100 or so.

I would run a separate switch to power the headlights through a relay. . . It would hit all the lights - brights, fogs and low beams.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, ive never actaully run from the cops, but a couple of my buddies back in high school did, and they got away everytime. just saying.....
Old 10-03-2008, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

not smart man.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:14 AM
12 Second Club

I've ran and got away twice. Wouldn't really recommend it but hey if you're going to do it sometime they say you have about a min. to be gone. Once was on the highway and another time I gave a cop the slip-a-roo getting on the highway..
Old 10-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Banned

I've actually seen one episode on TV where the cops started chasing a gun metal LS1 Trans Am and he was of course faster then they were until they radio'd ahead and smashed into his car and totaled it before dragging him out. Completely destroyed his car. So not only did he end up with felony evading but his car was trashed to.
Running from the cops is about one of the dumbest things you can do. Talk about opening up a hornets nest. Cops live to take down a fast car and get more wound up when they are chasing a performance car like that.
I've also seen an episode where a fox-body Mustang and an LS1 Camaro were racing with a cop sitting right behind them and they didn't notice him right from a stop light. They both pulled over and the cop was actually cool about it. He did write them tickets but he could've impounded the cars and took them to jail right then. He just cited them and was asking about the cars. He also was joking withthem about "didn't you guys see me?" These were older guys. As I recall he wrote them a couple of speeding tickets and that was it.
It's just not worth the additional fines and potentially getting your trashed or impounded. Take the ticket and move on. Just my opinion.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

if you DONT stop you dont get tickets..JMO..state troopers get props from me and will see my brake lights...but the rest..well..good luck to the almighty * CRAPOLA* intercepter crown vic...anyways...i think it would be a pretty neat mod to have..users discretion of course..but hey everybody wants to do different stuff to their cars regardless what it is..its worth a thought..

and thats kinda like saying Nitrous is only for the track when there are a ton of guys/gals running it on the street...
Old 10-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Wink

He could pull that trick from Redline where he shuts all of his lights off and uses nightvision to drive around. I know, it was a movie, and a REALLY cheesy one at that, but a part of me always wanted to mount big infrared flood lights in the grille and use night vision goggles to drive around on back country highways with all of my lights cut off.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
I've actually seen one episode on TV where the cops started chasing a gun metal LS1 Trans Am and he was of course faster then they were until they radio'd ahead and smashed into his car and totaled it before dragging him out. Completely destroyed his car. So not only did he end up with felony evading but his car was trashed to.
Running from the cops is about one of the dumbest things you can do. Talk about opening up a hornets nest. Cops live to take down a fast car and get more wound up when they are chasing a performance car like that.
I've also seen an episode where a fox-body Mustang and an LS1 Camaro were racing with a cop sitting right behind them and they didn't notice him right from a stop light. They both pulled over and the cop was actually cool about it. He did write them tickets but he could've impounded the cars and took them to jail right then. He just cited them and was asking about the cars. He also was joking withthem about "didn't you guys see me?" These were older guys. As I recall he wrote them a couple of speeding tickets and that was it.
It's just not worth the additional fines and potentially getting your trashed or impounded. Take the ticket and move on. Just my opinion.
No, not for me. Not once have I been pulled over and let go. It's not like I'm a dick to them, it's just the car. Everytime they just spit on the nightstick and go to town. I've gotten tickets for 75 in a 70 and 35 in a 30 for ***** sake. Did I mention I now have a restricted license. So If I just so happen to be racing a rocket on the highway and we blow by a stopped tahoe cop, I will just keep going. True story.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

OP, what kind of car do you have? make/model/color, etc?

i wanna know so i can keep an eye out on the cop chase shows on TV, because you'll end up being on one of them if you pull a stunt like running from the cops.

i'll be sure to get a copy of it and upload it so everyone here can laugh at you.

i don't care how bad the situation is, you're only going to make it worse by running from the cops, and possibly end up killing someone in the process.

Quick Reply: Hidden Tail lights