Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Installing Replacement Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing Replacement Speakers

Ok, well I've got the stock speakers out of my car, now I'm ready install the new ones that I got from KEE Audio. The new speakers obviously don't come with a clip for an easy plug in to the stock wiring. So what do I do now? Would it be a problem to just cut the clip off the stock wiring and then just use the bare wire to wire up the new speakers? It seems kind of half assed but idk, what do you guys do? Is there a place to get these stock clips that I can solder to the new speakers? Sorry for such a newb question but I don't have alot of experience with car audio. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

cut the plug off the stock speaker and use wire nuts to slice them to the new speakers. Use electrical tape over the wire nuts.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

foregt wire nuts, get some crimp connectors
Old 10-04-2008, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Hell, break out that soldering iron and liquid rubber!
Old 10-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually mention this when I sell a system but I always reuse the stock connectors if possible when dealing with a system upgrade and not a full replacement. This way you know you can plug back into the stock harness with no issues.
Soldering is the best way to do it but crimp connectors will work also. I would not use wire nuts as they are too bulky and can come off potentially.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, so pretty much - re-use the factory connectors off the bad speakers, wire em up to the new speakers using solder and/or crimp connectors, and then it's plug & play time!!

I have done this for all of my mods that involve electrical - from fog lights to even the aftermarket power antenna... Assuming the stock wiring is up to it.

Re-running wires or finding OEM wiring harness clips can be a bitch if/when the time comes to return to stock.

Last edited by ZexGX; 10-05-2008 at 01:55 AM.