Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Conversion

Hey guys I am pretty new to this site. I have a '66 GTO that I am looking at doing an ls conversion on. The car is an automatic and has air conditioning. I am kinda wondering what I am going to have to do to make this all work out. Also wondering if I should cut the floor and make it a 6 speed or just stick with automatic? I am also not sure what to do with the air conditioning core? I talked to a guy did a '69 Camaro with the ls conversion and he has air conditioning too and he put his underneath his dash some how. Any ideas?
Old 07-28-2011, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

With a 66 GTO, I wouldn't cut anything, I'd do the auto. Have you looked into a Vintage Air unit?
Old 07-28-2011, 03:20 AM
Teching In

A couple people were telling me about Vintage Air but I do not know what the heck I am looking for when I go on the site. If you could post up a link so I know what I need that would be great.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats on the car! i love that year of a gto..metallic purple?? haha jk
as far as the car if you want to make it a long term collector don't cut it up...if you really don't give a **** cut that bitch and make it a gear grinding fun machine. also, if your gonna drag it auto's are more consistent so..depends if you want a sunday driver or a drag car.

as far as a/c goes there are plenty of guys that can restore those old a/c's and even convert them fom r12 to r134. just depends what you want to spend..or you could get a new a/c system that would most likely work better in terms of cooling.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:30 AM
Teching In

lol I was thinking about going with matalic purple after I saw the 04's but I think I am gunna go with a bright red. Ha I don't think I am gunna make this car a drag car after all the time and hard work I am putting into it. Another question I have is if I stick with the automatic, do I have to screw around with changing anything under the dash where the pedals are?
Old 07-29-2011, 10:34 PM
ZV8
12 Second Club

You should move this thread over to the "conversion-hybrid" menu.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/

Anyway what specific LS motor are you thinking of using? You should have plenty of room in the engine bay for a complete motor with accessories and A/C. If its the newer IV gens then you could use the automatic 6speeds and make a really nice cruiser out of it.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is look onto finding a wrecked f-body or even a truck and get the whole thing so you will have all the little parts and wiring that you can pull out of the donor vehicle
Old 07-30-2011, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZV8
You should move this thread over to the "conversion-hybrid" menu.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/

Anyway what specific LS motor are you thinking of using? You should have plenty of room in the engine bay for a complete motor with accessories and A/C. If its the newer IV gens then you could use the automatic 6speeds and make a really nice cruiser out of it.
I am looking at getting a 04-06 wreaked GTO but everyone thinks they are worth gold even if they are wreaked.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

I have done a few of these on GTO and chevelles. The 66-67 have really small humps in the floor for the trans. I have done a few with the 6 speed and its not that bad. Just finished one with a 6 speed auto too. I say cut it. AMD makes nice replacement panels for the trans tunnel if you change your mind. As far as the Vintage Air, if you want I can get you a price on piecing it together. I did the very first 67 GTO sure fit kit for Vintage Air. But you will need a few different things in order to make it work with the LS motor, Plus you will need to run a different compressor because the Vintage Air will not work with the variable speed one that comes stock on the motor, (plus it location wont work)
Old 07-31-2011, 06:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmy P
I have done a few of these on GTO and chevelles. The 66-67 have really small humps in the floor for the trans. I have done a few with the 6 speed and its not that bad. Just finished one with a 6 speed auto too. I say cut it.
6L80/90 or TCI 6 speed? The 66/67 have trouble with an A4 let alone an A6. Saw the one V8TV tried and my 68 Camaro with a lot bigger tunnel than the GTO pan needed some additional clearance with the A6.