Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

engine blueprinting tips and engine formulas

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine blueprinting tips and engine formulas

Just looking for good information for a me to use in the future on my first engine build thanks
Old 03-01-2016, 12:09 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your first engine build, suggests you are not a machinist or own a full automotive machine shop. In which case, there is literally nothing that "you" can do.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:25 AM
Teching In

My father's friend worked a cnc machine for 20 years in a shop and is going to teaxh I'm also going to go to school for welding and basically anything engine I'm not talking about what I can do right now I'm trying to learn what I can in my head about everything
Old 03-02-2016, 01:07 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That is not anything you will learn on a forum, especially this one.

Most of the really good engine builders, become good over time........as they learn what works for them. Most is splattered all over the internet for you to read, but the good **** (which isn't necessarily the same for all builders) is learned with time.

We have an automotive machinist school here in Houston, Texas. I never attended (although I worked in an performance oriented automotive machine shop for near 10 years). From being in the business, I did come to know some of the students over the years and some of the instructors. The schools name is School for Automotive Machinist, or SAM. It is not even remotely cheap to go there, but it is pretty much the only fast track to becoming what you want. They have a website. Check it out.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:00 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesley Bostic
Just looking for good information for a me to use in the future on my first engine build thanks
There are a lot of books out that will help you. Building an engine isn't really rocket science but there's a lot to it. Especially when you get into building high performance engines. Try this link and pickup one or two of the books on the list. Then maybe subscribe to a magazine or online magazine and check the articles for "How To" Builds. Engine Masters is one of my favorite publications.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...book-list.html
Old 10-10-2016, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blown06
That is not anything you will learn on a forum, especially this one.

Most of the really good engine builders, become good over time........as they learn what works for them. Most is splattered all over the internet for you to read, but the good **** (which isn't necessarily the same for all builders) is learned with time.

We have an automotive machinist school here in Houston, Texas. I never attended (although I worked in an performance oriented automotive machine shop for near 10 years). From being in the business, I did come to know some of the students over the years and some of the instructors. The schools name is School for Automotive Machinist, or SAM. It is not even remotely cheap to go there, but it is pretty much the only fast track to becoming what you want. They have a website. Check it out.
Well Put !!!
Old 10-10-2016, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't think we need to jump down the kids/guys throat. A bit of a silly, vague question? Of course it is.

The "How to Hotrod....." books were around when I was young. Probably still a good start. But what skill level are you at? Do you have a car? Work on cars? Need more info.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:10 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default EAP Engine Model

Your an engine "re-builder" as are the above stated "experts".

How to learn :

1. Buy/demo EAP from Performance Trends, the ability to do a "cloud" rebuild would then exist.
2. ALL the manufactures of the items needed provide engineering specification on the sites.
3. The ability to Google ALL questions, with current correct answers is another good method.

Lance, BTW you could ask for my help.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:27 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can work over your oil passages, oil return holes, screen epoxy/deburr if you like clearance cam gear all kinds of stuff. Read up on it first cant put metal back. Then drop off to your machinist. Fun stuff. Have your machinist get on top of your oil pump 1 or 2 things that can be done. Prefer std volume hig pressure
Have an older melling HV and get a lot of chatter cant get a steady timing mark ugh.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

UGH... Wesley, dont get discouraged... check out the engine labs website to start... I would suggest a subscription to the various car magazines and or check out their websites... engine masters on you tube is also a good start. this is how I "started" when I was very young... now I build the most powerful, reliable engines in the world...

and before you guys get crazy...

I build Jet engines for General Electric... Attention to detail is critical....
Old 05-07-2018, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Some great builds on YouTube FWIW.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Balanced and Blueprinted" 70s/80s nostalgia floods back. Engines were sloppily built at the factory. For a build, an engine was sent to the machine shop where reciprocating assembly was balanced per specification for the engine.
Blueprinting was ensuring casting flash removed, tolerances with in specification for that particular engine.-using plastigauge and feeler gauge set. Check spring pressures. etc. Ensuring the block and deck are straight, connecting rods ends properly sized,etc.
Some items you can do. Some require a machinist with appropriate equipment. Some also require considerable experience.
Generally titles are "How to Rebuild....." Ah, mentioned above. Plenty of good advice.
Here is one I used back in the day for Pontiacs:
https://www.amazon.com/Pontiac-Engine-Design-Blueprinting-Hendrickson/dp/B0028A1LUI/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1525723615&sr=1-3 https://www.amazon.com/Pontiac-Engine-Design-Blueprinting-Hendrickson/dp/B0028A1LUI/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1525723615&sr=1-3

Do not forget the ****-hair ruler

If it is an LSx engine then a junkyard 5.3 or SBC 350 would be ideal to start on and do a rebuild. The builds are the fun part of a project.

Last edited by Felix C; 05-07-2018 at 05:40 PM.

Quick Reply: engine blueprinting tips and engine formulas