Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Horsepower Calculation

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 10:38 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Horsepower Calculation

I know air flow grams/cylinder does relate to the amount of horsepower the engine is making. Is there a formula to calculate roughly how much horsepower an engine is making by knowing the air flow in grams/cylinder?
Old 04-13-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this:

Horsepower is not easily calculated, but online calculators can get you close.
Instructions

STEP 1: Horsepower is a measure of output: one horsepower is the amount of power required to lift 33 thousand pounds, one foot off the ground, in one minute. It is defined by a formula: load times feet per minute, divided by 33,000.

STEP 2: If you know these numbers, you can plug these into the formula and calculate your horsepower.

STEP 3: If you do not, it is probably easiest to calculate your horsepower using a horsepower calculator. Find one by typing in the phrase "horsepower calculator" into a search engine like Google or Yahoo!.

Like that helps. sheez

Here's a couple calculators but none of them are cyl mass

http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/calc.htm

http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_hp_dp.htm
Old 04-13-2007, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

CFM flow at peak lift in heads x 0.255 = hp per cyllender x 8 = Possible peak engine HP N/A

This is estimated only at 100+ Ve%
Old 04-13-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From fluid/thermodynamics, the power a motor generates is pretty much based only on the air mass flow into the motor, heat added through fuel and combustion, and work produced as a result. Now, basic laws of thermodynamics of systems will allow you to solve for power, however, the number of variables is incredible and they are difficult to account for. The power calculators online are extremely inaccurate because they don't take into consideration several variables of engine design and theory and they make several gross assumptions. It would be nice to have an accurate power calculator, but frankly you're better off comparing your build to others' to guess your power. As of now, this is the most accurate method to guess your engine's power.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:57 PM
9 Second Club

Most of you all are reading way too much into my question. I know there are specific formulas to calculate horsepower. To understand my question, I guess you need to be into turning our engines and looking at the logs. If you watch the air flow in grams/cylinder it will give you a rough idea of how much power you are making. If you are only doing .90 grams/cylinder then there is no way you are making close to 500 rwhp. I was just wondering if someone has done alot of dyno tuning and watched the air flow and had a good idea of how much power was being made to different air flows.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you looking for a table that compares mass flow to power?
Old 04-14-2007, 05:58 AM
9 Second Club

No I am just logging the air flow pid out of the main spark table. The higher you go in that table the more power the engine is making. If everyone that dynoed their car reported what the highest air flow/cylinder was it does relate to the amount of power the engine is making.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

No it doesnt work like that John. You would be closer if you used the lb/min reading off a stock car with stock cal From 300-550 or so its in the ballpark of 10*lb/min from what Ive seen.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:35 PM
Teching In

If you can convert it to grams/minute, head down to "FUEL FLOW" here and you can input your grams per minute.

Might not help at all, but a good resource; (authored for 3/S engine, but standard rules apply)

http://www.stealth316.com/2-air-fuel-flow.htm
Old 04-16-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure what program you are using, but I have already done this. The trick here is that you need to have the airflow model correct, meaning the tune needs to be done the proper way. No tuning by IFR, or PE only ... the VE table needs to be spot on, and the MAF table needs to be spot on and enabled (this may not work with SD modes). Quite a few people have reported (to me) great results. Read below for info.

http://www.hptuners.com/FORUM/showthread.php?t=10358

Quick Reply: Horsepower Calculation