Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going to detail my car this weekend

will the following steps be good?

1. wash car with dish soap.
2.dry car with the absorber.
3, clay bar the whole car (meguiars clay kit)
4. does this part consist of spraying it with meguiars ultimate detailer? or do i put the meguiars gold glass liquid wax first?

also I want to use scratch x but at what step will I do that? right after I clay the car? if so will i have to rewash the car then use scratch x?
Old 10-30-2008, 09:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After step 3, wax then detail spray at the end. Scratch X right after you claybar if you're going to do that.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyd
will the following steps be good?

4. does this part consist of spraying it with meguiars ultimate detailer? or do i put the meguiars gold glass liquid wax first?

also I want to use scratch x but at what step will I do that? right after I clay the car? if so will i have to rewash the car then use scratch x?
Or you asking about using the detailer as a lube while you claybar? I think the directions recommend that, but being its just basicaly a lube for the the clay bar I use soapy water...it works just as well and is basicaly free.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
After step 3, wax then detail spray at the end. Scratch X right after you claybar if you're going to do that.
so like this
4. scratch x
5. wax
6.meguiars ultimate detail.

so no more re washing the car after scratch x?

thanks again
Old 10-30-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
Or you asking about using the detailer as a lube while you claybar? I think the directions recommend that, but being its just basicaly a lube for the the clay bar I use soapy water...it works just as well and is basicaly free.
nope the detailer (lube) that u use with the claybar is a little different than the ultimate detailer.

i was just wondering if i had to use the detailer before or after applying the wax
Old 10-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Mcguires Ultimate detailer isnt supposed to be used with the Clay bar. And this is not coming from my opinion. its coming from Mcguires. So I would just use their quik detailer or like 97ramsst stated and use soapy water
Old 10-31-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty much what's been said in this thread is what I follow.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

this is my ocd religious following:

1. wash (with microfiber sponge making sure it is clean)
2. wash again
3. dry with the absorber
4. clay bar
5. polish with meguires step 2 polish
6. wax with zymol
7. remove wax with mircrofiber towels
8. go over entire car with meguires quik wax

lol im a wierdo
Old 10-31-2008, 06:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Here is my preferred method:
  1. Wash with CAR WASH soap - The idea behind using dishwashing liquid is to strip all the wax off. However, dishwashing liquid is hard on the clearcoat. The claybar session in step 3 will remove all the wax.
  2. Dry with a waffle weave microfiber towel - Unless your Absorber is brand new or fresh out of the washer, there is too much chance of dirt getting rubbed all over your car, scratching the clearcoat. The Absorber has no nap (depth of the "fingers" of a towel), so if it's dirty, the crud has nowhere to go but against your paint.
  3. Claybar - instead of using detailing spray, use a solution of car wash and water in a spray bottle. Much cheaper and just as effective. This is another reason not to use dishwashing liquid, as that will dry out the claybar.
  4. Wash again with CAR WASH soap - This will remove any residue left by the claybar.
  5. If you're going to use ScratchX or a polish, this is the time to do it.
  6. Wax/sealant
  7. Detail spray
-Mike
Old 10-31-2008, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
  1. Wash with CAR WASH soap - The idea behind using dishwashing liquid is to strip all the wax off. However, dishwashing liquid is hard on the clearcoat. The claybar session in step 3 will remove all the wax.
  2. Dry with a waffle weave microfiber towel - Unless your Absorber is brand new or fresh out of the washer, there is too much chance of dirt getting rubbed all over your car, scratching the clearcoat. The Absorber has no nap (depth of the "fingers" of a towel), so if it's dirty, the crud has nowhere to go but against your paint.
  3. Claybar - instead of using detailing spray, use a solution of car wash and water in a spray bottle. Much cheaper and just as effective. This is another reason not to use dishwashing liquid, as that will dry out the claybar.
  4. Wash again with CAR WASH soap - This will remove any residue left by the claybar.
  6. Wax/sealant
  7. Detail spray
-Mike
Thanks i will try that instead of using detailing spray with clay
Old 10-31-2008, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
  6. Wax/sealant
  7. Detail spray
-Mike
I have found that the perfect concentration of claybar lube is 1oz or 4 capfuls of Gold Class car wash per about 16oz of water. It will be a little soapier than a normal car wash bucket but will have plenty of lube.
I agree completely with Mike on everything but 1 thing I don't wash the car afterwards because it takes to much time and then you have to worry about water spots again. You do however have to worry about clay residue so I have 2 towels and 2 spray bottles one spray bottle has the clay lube one has just water. Spray the clay lube on, then clay the pannel, then wipe the panel clean with a microfiber. Then spray the panel down with water and then use the other microfiber to dry. I find it's a lot faster and you don't have to worry abput water spots and water leaking out of the hatch for another half an hour and any water spots that were left after your first wash just get wiped away.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

You don't really have any reason to wash the vehicle with dish soap. Regular car wash soap will be fine when claying and polishing.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZaneO
You don't really have any reason to wash the vehicle with dish soap. Regular car wash soap will be fine when claying and polishing.
Thanks thats what i will go ahead and use meguiars car wash soap

thanks for all teh responses guys
KenrickCustom - i will try that
Old 10-31-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KenrickCustom
I agree completely with Mike on everything but 1 thing I don't wash the car afterwards because it takes to much time and then you have to worry about water spots again. You do however have to worry about clay residue so I have 2 towels and 2 spray bottles one spray bottle has the clay lube one has just water. Spray the clay lube on, then clay the pannel, then wipe the panel clean with a microfiber. Then spray the panel down with water and then use the other microfiber to dry. I find it's a lot faster and you don't have to worry abput water spots and water leaking out of the hatch for another half an hour and any water spots that were left after your first wash just get wiped away.

The only time I use a claybar is when I know I'm going to polish and wax again. Polishing will remove any water spots, so I tend not to worry about them in this case.

-Mike