Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Buffer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buffer?

Okay, first off, the search function isn't working for me, and hasn't been for several days, on either of my computers.

I'm wondering what are some alternatives to Porter Cables. I've seen plenty cheaper multi-speed orbitals out there, so it makes me wonder why does everyone swear by the Porter Cable?

Does the name on the orbital really make that much of a difference?
Old 11-09-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Junkie

The only alternatives I would consider are a good quality rotary or an Ultimate Detailing Machine, both of which cost MORE than the Porter Cable 7424. It isn't about the brand name, it's about the longevity and torque of the motor. The thing you have to remember is, it's not a buffer. It's a polisher. This means there is a lot more torque involved, and a standard 10" orbital (like a Craftsman or a cheap Chinese knock-off) just doesn't have the power to do much more than smear the product around on the surface.

Yes, you can buy a cheap knock-off at Harbor Freight (if you can find one), but if you buy a replacement every six months, have you really saved any money?

-Mike
Old 11-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Launching!

What kind of torque difference are we talking about between a PC and a knock off?
Old 11-09-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

All depends if you want to thank yourself for buying a quality tool that will serve you for many years to come (and pay for itself over and over), or if you don't mind wasting time and money on an inferior tool.

The PC and similar machines have a much stronger motor, variable speeds, the ability to change backing plates and pads, etc., etc. The PC itself reaches it limits quickly when correcting any severe defects, much less some cheapie parts store orbital polisher.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PC all day long. There is a reason that everyone uses them, its because they work.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Save yourself the headache. The PC is a great investment. I have used the same PC in my business for the last four years and it hasn't skipped a beat. I usually average a 100+ vehicles a year. At less than $200, thats a steal. It will pay for itself quick!
Old 11-09-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

There is a site selling Portercable 7424's for $119... PM for name of website
Old 11-10-2008, 04:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kamauxx
Okay...

I'm wondering what are some alternatives to Porter Cables. I've seen plenty cheaper multi-speed orbitals out there, so it makes me wonder why does everyone swear by the Porter Cable?
Does the name on the orbital really make that much of a difference?
4 words: reliability and safe performance.

I have been using the same PC since summer of 2002 without any incident. Yes, it takes longer and may not give total restoration but it is best suited for the beginner or novice user on their own personal vehicles.

For those who are more anxious in achieving results, you can look at a Flex around $270 or a high speed rotary polisher such as a Makita or Dewalt around the $200 range. The rotary units provide much faster results but with increased risk of damage in inexperienced hands.

If you decide to stick with a PC, feel free to contact us about our kit specials.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buffers cause swirl marks. You could get a normal buffer for like $15..but when you try to do anything on your car, you gotta keep in mind theres a much MUCH higher chance of causing swirl marks on the finish compared to the chance of a porter cable doing it because it doesn't swirl like a buffer. I got my PC for $100 im sure if you check ebay you could get that AND pads with it for somewhere around there.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

Stay away from the UDM-it's junk. Get a PC or a Flex.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fccs
Buffers cause swirl marks. You could get a normal buffer for like $15..but when you try to do anything on your car, you gotta keep in mind theres a much MUCH higher chance of causing swirl marks on the finish compared to the chance of a porter cable doing it because it doesn't swirl like a buffer. I got my PC for $100 im sure if you check ebay you could get that AND pads with it for somewhere around there.
Buffers do not cause swirl marks. Someone that don't know what they are doing with a buffer will cause swirl marks.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ agree. personally ill stick with a rotary and the mini rotary for right areas and small spots. the pc and udm and flex are just much more user friendly and its a lot harder to mess your paint up where as a rotary can easily burn your clear if you dont know what your doing.

Quick Reply: Buffer?