Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wanting To Use Rubbing Compound

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting To Use Rubbing Compound

I have a lot of swirl marks in my car, along with some paint overspray and I tried the ICE liquid clay bar to get it out, and that didnt work (go figure)Im trying to avoid wet sanding. But Ive heard people using rubbing compound. Anyone with good results? and what brands did you use?
Old 03-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Pollishing compound or tooth past, rubbing compoung will just make it worse. A good low speed buffer and wax may take them out I would try that first.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Liquid clay bar isn't worth a crap imo. Try an actual clay. Meguiars makes a good one. And i've had good results with 3M rubbing compound, but i'd try a clay first.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

If you're serious about getting swirls out, you will need to get a Porter Cable 7224 or a Flex buffer. Both are good for starting out in the detailing world. You can pick those items as well as the Menzerna line of polishes and lakewood pads. Talk to Steve at Tropicare. He can explain much more in detail about how these things work. Also, it wouldn't hurt to do a search on the Porter Cable buffer. You can get a hell of a lot of info by reading a few threads.

As for the clay bar...take that liquid crap and throw it in the trash can. Go ahead and get yourself a real clay bar and hit the overspray again. If it doesn't get it off, wet sanding would be your next option. With that, you'll always want to start off with the highest grade of sandpaper and lots of lubricant. I'd say to start out with 2500 grit and see where it gets you. The less you sand, the less you'll have to correct by buffing.

Let me know if you need to know anything else.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ X2^^^ A "real" clay bar should remove the overspray. A buffer is needed to take care of the swirls.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

try Meguairs Ultimate Compound. It's designed for amateur use and isn't overly aggressive.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02BlackBullet

Let me know if you need to know anything else.
Thanks brotha, and yeah I know that liquid stuff is really a glorified cleaner. I was thinkin of using a real clay bar, and have done it before with good results but this overspray is tough.
Would rubbing compound really make it worse? what does it exacltly do? And as far as wet sanding myself....ehh..I dunno. I mean I know how to take care of a car, and use of sandpaper, but man im really afraid something is gonna get screwed. I love my car waaaay too much.
Plus, one other thing Ive gotta to figure out...My car got keyed at work, not too bad, but it wont buff out. any tips on using touch up would be great! thanks guys!

Last edited by DrumrReagh13; 03-02-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Rubbing compound applied via machine polisher would likely remove many of the swirl marks and spiderwebs, but it will also leave behind finer grit scratches that you need to remove with a less abrasive polish. It's a step-by-step, often time-consuming process.
As far as the key marks, I've heard of people having good results by filling a medical syringe with the touch-up paint and "injecting" it into the scratch. Of course, you'll probably need to follow up the touch-up with some wet sanding and polishing.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't use ''rubbing compound'' there's far better products available.Menzerna & Meguiars to name a few. Megs 105 can be used by hand and ALOT of elbow grease if you don't have a D/A, an orbital buffer won't cut it so don't waste your time. And get some better clay,there's no reason to have to wet sand overspray. They make different grades of clay fine-heavy,heavy can cause micro marring so be careful.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Forgive me but when I heard these 2 words "rubbing compound" mentioned. This is the picture I imagine.

All of the hazing and scratches is a result of using a harsh rubbing compound by hand to address a 3mm chip just to the left of the tape line. The action of using the compound by hand does not discriminate if you are just trying to remove existing scratches. See how much more hazing and fine scratches have been inflicted.

It is better to start with a lesser aggressive chemical and work your way up until you get the desired result.

As for the clay bar, it is a great way to get started in your process of removing gritty contaminants from the paint and glass before you start any paint polishing. However, a clay bar will have no effect in removing any swirl marks or fine scratches.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the insight guys. yeah that picture scares me lol. I think first im going to try claybar to get the overspray off, then work on the key mark with some touch up, and i guess work on the swirls, like steve said, with something lesser agressive. Ill post with results as soon as it warms up(this weekend)
Old 03-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wannafbody
try Meguairs Ultimate Compound. It's designed for amateur use and isn't overly aggressive.
This stuff is great. I wish I had pictures of an 00 Hawk I used this on. I washed, clayed, washed again, used the ultimate compound, and followed with a pure carnuba wax.....car looked amazing when I was finished.

Quick Reply: Wanting To Use Rubbing Compound