Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

5 point harnesses with stock seats??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5 point harnesses with stock seats??

I have an 8-point cage, but wanted the stock seats (I plan to drive the car quite a bit). Can I install 5 point harnesses using the stock seats? My only concern is shoulder straps that would normally go through dedicated openings in a racing seat. I'm not sure if these straps would have a tendency to fall off my shoulders or the back of the seat if I just took them over the top of the seat (on either side of the head rest). Also, I know they are illegal to use on the street, but I'm not real concerned with that. What do you guys think?
Old 04-01-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

what kind of car are you talking about. your sig says the 95 TA is sold. TAs have the adjustable head rest, which is better for using shoulder belts. camaros dont, and will make the shoulder belts run past the sides of the seat, spreading them too far apart to do any good.

you should keep your stock belts for street use. they should still be usuable if you mounted the new belts correctly. check the road racing section for threads and pics of how its done. if you get an H style harness, the shoulder straps wont fall off or spread. also, its been said to never use a 5pt without a real sub belt slot. if you just run the crotch strap over the front of the seat, it wont serve any purpose at all if youre in an accident. in fact, when tightened, it can pull the should/lap straps away from your body, furthermore reducing the effectiveness.

i have heard, however, of using a 6pt with stock seats. you run the 2 crotch straps underneath your legs, attaching them at the same point as the lap belts. i dont think its that comfortable though.

you can look into buying a nice race seat with appropriate slots, and still be comfortable. my arizen is very comfy, and accepts a 5pt safely. mad racing has a version, and 6LE is offering some nice seats as well. looks alot like the older arizens.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sweetred95ta
What do you guys think?
I think this little mod would solve your problem:

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/cu...seatbelts.aspx
Old 04-02-2009, 12:51 AM
10 Second Club

Like this?

I had them done for $150.00 I kept the factory seat belts, because the harness is not DOT approved and if a cop knows that he could be a dick about it.. but it's highly unlikely.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
what kind of car are you talking about. your sig says the 95 TA is sold. TAs have the adjustable head rest, which is better for using shoulder belts. camaros dont, and will make the shoulder belts run past the sides of the seat, spreading them too far apart to do any good.
Yeah, I need to fix my sig. I now have a 2001 WS6. I think I could get away with running the straps over the back of the seats.

Originally Posted by fxgs
I think this little mod would solve your problem:

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/cu...seatbelts.aspx
Originally Posted by Captain InsaneO
Like this?
That looks awesome! I might look into that in the near future. I want to get these things in for now. So, I may just go over the back of the seats for the time being. I really want to leave the stock seat belts out. I haven't made up my mind, yet. I really appreciate it, guys.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Since you have actual headrests, you could fabricate and "bracket" out of abs plastic or something similar that sits on-top of the seat, and then the headrests rods go through to keep it in place...

-Rick
Old 04-02-2009, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

I had an upholstry shop cut off the extra length of belt I had, fold them over and sew them together, and then punch a hole for the headrests..

Kevin D.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

run them in between the seat and headrests if you want, but if you are racing, i'd rather have them come straight through the seat from the roll bar mount to be safe.

My camaro has a slit cut(just one) where the stitching is in the middle of the seat towards the top. It looks like the belts stick out of nowhere, haha
Old 04-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Well, I ordered the harnesses yesterday. So, we'll see how they go in. I'll try and remember to take some pictures and post them. I appreciate all of your responses, guys.

Quick Reply: 5 point harnesses with stock seats??