Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How hard is an interior swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 02:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How hard is an interior swap?

Basically, my car has a graphite interior and I've had thoughts of making it ebony before. How big of a pain in the *** would this be?
Old 04-05-2009, 03:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's not hard just tracking down all the parts takes a while or you can wrap them in vinyl..I'm doing the same thing, seats and door panels and I'm done

Old 04-05-2009, 03:41 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not hard and well worth it. Mine was grey and I switched to ebony. DO IT ALL THOUGH. Dash included. Yeah, it is a PITA but it doesn't take more than an afternoon and you'll enjoy it the life of the car...
Old 04-05-2009, 04:13 AM
TECH Resident

I think you guys have convinced me. It won't be done now or any time soon because there's too many other priorities. But eventually I will need to basically strip the interior anyway for new carpet, a roll bar, and possibly some sound deadening stuff. Probably look for a car that's being parted out around then for all the parts.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Not hard and well worth it. Mine was grey and I switched to ebony. DO IT ALL THOUGH. Dash included. Yeah, it is a PITA but it doesn't take more than an afternoon and you'll enjoy it the life of the car...
How hard is it to take the dashboard out? That seems like the only real big PITA thing to me.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by AronZ28
How hard is it to take the dashboard out? That seems like the only real big PITA thing to me.
just alot of little bolts and screws
Old 04-05-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

yeah it isn't hard at all and you may find some interesting things with the interior stripped

duplicolor vinyl and upholstery paint in flat black looks good on the plastics and even the vinyl on the door panels. look for a thread by devildougws6.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:08 AM
Banned

Like they all said, not hard. Don't even have to remove the steering wheel. Pull the a-pillars, pull the dash pad, pull the center console and then work the edges finding the bolts.

Just takes time disconnecting the wires and then wiggling the beast out and getting the other one in.

Again, I did it in an afternoon without any real experience on it... I take that back, I've pulled a few stripping cars an did a 1993-1996 conversion to a 1997+... Anyways, just do it
Old 04-06-2009, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did my interior swap on mine going from light grey cloth to a full leather graphite interior. Front start to finish i think it was about 6hrs which is a little on the speedy side but i had an idea of how everything came apart seeing as i pulled the new interior from the parts car the week beofre to know how everything comes apart and goes together. Make sure you have all you the pieces needed to do the swap and take you time! Dont rush and end up breaking something.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just finished switching my interior to black. heres my list i made (all i need is door panels and dash
1.Front seats
2.rear seats
3.Dash
4.Dash pad
5.door panels
6.a pillars
7.Upper center console
8.lower center console
9.headliner
10.rear seat panels
11.seatbelts
12.kick panels
13.dome light
14.sunvisors
13.rear hatch speaker pnaels
14.hatch panels
15.t-top holders
16.t-top trim
17.little peices where t-top latches to
18. shifter trim
19.carpet
20.coat hooks
Old 04-15-2009, 02:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
yeah it isn't hard at all and you may find some interesting things with the interior stripped

duplicolor vinyl and upholstery paint in flat black looks good on the plastics and even the vinyl on the door panels. look for a thread by devildougws6.
I buddy of mine that was restoring a GTO had a petrified mouse fall out when he pulled the vinyl top and my dad found a ***** in his 78 Trans Am, so I can imagine

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Like they all said, not hard. Don't even have to remove the steering wheel. Pull the a-pillars, pull the dash pad, pull the center console and then work the edges finding the bolts.

Just takes time disconnecting the wires and then wiggling the beast out and getting the other one in.

Again, I did it in an afternoon without any real experience on it... I take that back, I've pulled a few stripping cars an did a 1993-1996 conversion to a 1997+... Anyways, just do it
Yeah I think I probably will.

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
I just did my interior swap on mine going from light grey cloth to a full leather graphite interior. Front start to finish i think it was about 6hrs which is a little on the speedy side but i had an idea of how everything came apart seeing as i pulled the new interior from the parts car the week beofre to know how everything comes apart and goes together. Make sure you have all you the pieces needed to do the swap and take you time! Dont rush and end up breaking something.
six hours? damn dude, LOL. I'll definitely be taking my time if i do it. I learned my lesson when i messed up one of the screw holes putting my center console back together because I got in too much of a hurry and put one of the big screws where a small one was supposed to go. It creaks now and it pisses me off!

Originally Posted by comanten123
i just finished switching my interior to black. heres my list i made (all i need is door panels and dash
1.Front seats
2.rear seats
3.Dash
4.Dash pad
5.door panels
6.a pillars
7.Upper center console
8.lower center console
9.headliner
10.rear seat panels
11.seatbelts
12.kick panels
13.dome light
14.sunvisors
13.rear hatch speaker pnaels
14.hatch panels
15.t-top holders
16.t-top trim
17.little peices where t-top latches to
18. shifter trim
19.carpet
20.coat hooks
Now this right here is premium. Thanks, dude!
Old 04-15-2009, 04:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe I am blind, but need the trunk/cabin separator also.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nighthawk15
I buddy of mine that was restoring a GTO had a petrified mouse fall out when he pulled the vinyl top and my dad found a ***** in his 78 Trans Am, so I can imagine
hahahha dude no way!!!! i found a pen in my car and it said partygirlsusa.com or something like that and has a little ***** pen topper on it. i kept it i love when people ask to borrow a pen. i also found a toy car and a picture of a little black kid with dreads. i love that stuff.

Quick Reply: How hard is an interior swap?