Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Aftermarket Halo install around Projector fog lights on my Formula...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Aftermarket Halo install around Projector fog lights on my Formula...

Earlier I yanked out my stock fog housings for some projectors (https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...l#post11376478)

The only thing that I didn't like about it was the Hella 90mm housings I used had a gap around them in the Formula bumper. Yesterday with the help of Fastbird, we installed Halo's around them. I must say I am very happy with the appearance of the car now. Much better than it looked before the Halo's anyways.

Here's the pics;

Before the Halo;

After the Halo's

The Halo's came from Ebay and fit snuggly around the projectors. Fastbird and I concluded that the best way to secure these was actually with some clear RTV sealant.

A huge thanks goes out to Fastbird for helping me out with these.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

They look good.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks

I'll post some night pics up of them later
Old 04-05-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Looks great! I need a set!
Old 04-05-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Here are some night pics I just took. Some are taken at different shutter speeds so the quantity of light varies.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Pics make it hard to tell - how bright are they in the daylight? Are they easily visible?
Old 04-05-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Pics make it hard to tell - how bright are they in the daylight? Are they easily visible?
They're not headlights, or even fog lights, at night they won't put off enough light for you to see where you are going, so in the day they are not easily visible like having your fog lights on. But then again, they are Halo's, they are not suppossed to be that visible.

You can still tell that they are on if that is what you are getting at. The couple pictures I took in the day pretty much show them just as they are in the day.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been searching e-bay for halos to go aound my fogs and can't find any! what size did u buy? can u point me to them on e-bay? Thanks!
Old 11-04-2009, 01:06 AM
TECH Junkie

The night time pics looks like the new Camaro.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by waynotcars
I've been searching e-bay for halos to go aound my fogs and can't find any! what size did u buy? can u point me to them on e-bay? Thanks!
Don't remember the exact size (I think 90mm on the inside and 102mm on the outside), or the ebay site exactly.

They fit perfectly around my 90mm Hella projectors though. Strangely enough I bought these Halos with the intention to installing them later. I moved to a different state, and thought they were lost, so I had to order another set. I then installed them, and ended up finding my second set of Halos.

If you are interested I'll sell my second still in the box Halo's. The only thing I might reccomend is getting the size of your fogs first though to make sure it will get a good fit for the look you want. The Halos don't necissarily have to go around the outside of the fog lights like they did for me, they can also go in front of your fogs and it will give it a similar look just around the outside of the fog light.

Anyways, let me know if your interested.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:05 PM
12 Second Club

those night pics look pretty mean. mine dont have a good relationship location-wise to my marker lights to look very good. yours look like evil eyes with eyebrows furrowed. pretty sweet.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

That looks great.

Did you post a thread about installing those projectors? If so, I'd like to add it to the Lighting FAQ.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:54 PM

Thanks, but I actually found a set of fogs on e-bay with 7 color halos that are the same size as my factory fogs. Going to replace factory fogs with them. Appreciate it. all the halo rings only on e-bay are in china.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

^ Mine where made in the good ol' USA.

VIP1, I don't have a right up on it, and I don't know how good it would be if I did one since the brackets were pretty much 100% fabricated. That, and this was all for the Formula front bumper which is quite a bit different than the majority of the guys out there with T/A bumpers and fogs.

Basically I just had to fab up metal peices that would fit on part of the metal bracketry near the bumper and then I put it together with nuts and bolts. Sorry I don't have anything really detailed and step by step for you on this one.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

As far as the Halo installation, I just found halos that fit perfectly around the Hella 90mm projectors, then used a little clear RTV sealant to keep them in place.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
The night time pics looks like the new Camaro.
+1
deffinitly looks like the new camaro in the night pics(obviously to low though)
Old 11-06-2009, 12:37 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
VIP1, I don't have a right up on it, and I don't know how good it would be if I did one since the brackets were pretty much 100% fabricated. That, and this was all for the Formula front bumper which is quite a bit different than the majority of the guys out there with T/A bumpers and fogs.
You'd be surprised. BTW, I also have a Formula. I replaced my stock plastic fogs a while back with some glass & metal housings a while back that use H3 bulbs. I made a minor modification to the stock bracket to install them and grafted the base of the blown old fog bulbs onto the pigtail from the harness so it plugged directly into the stock harness without any modification. The housings output more light than stock and look nicer than stock, but their beam patter is conical instead of a fog beam. So I'm interested in how you installed those projectors. Others may also be interested. It doesn't have to be a full writeup, just a description and pics of the bracket and bumper (if you had to modify it).

Originally Posted by CALL911
Basically I just had to fab up metal peices that would fit on part of the metal bracketry near the bumper and then I put it together with nuts and bolts. Sorry I don't have anything really detailed and step by step for you on this one.
Did you have to do any cutting to the bumper? Did you modify the cut-off shield or is it still stepped.

I also have the Hella 90mm H9 projectors as in my low beam location.

My write-ups are listed in the Lighting FAQ.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:54 AM
TECH Resident

sorry but the halos look horrible on your nice car. Why is everyone trying to halo up their cars???
Old 11-06-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by VIP1
Did you have to do any cutting to the bumper? Did you modify the cut-off shield or is it still stepped.
I had to cut the bumper behind where the stock fogs were located as the Hella projector rears were to big to fit through the small opening designed for the factory fogs. I'm not really sure what the cutoff shield is. Once I cut the bumper (I just used a sanding tool on a dremel) the projectors fit in fine. The projectors had tabs on the back that aided in bolting the metal brackets I fabricated. Then I just drilled a hole in the bumper support and bolted everything in place where I wanted it.

I'll try to get some pics for you, but my camera is large, and the area behind the bumper is small, so I don't know how well they will turn out (if I am even able to get any with the small area and big camera).

Originally Posted by UnVMySS
sorry but the halos look horrible on your nice car. Why is everyone trying to halo up their cars???
I guess its a matter of opinion. So far I've had roughly 50+ compliments, and now 1 complaint. I believe halos don't have to be ricey. I think if done properly (like I believe I did) they can look great. But again, just all about opinions. I'm sure there are probably some people that think F-bodies look ugly all together.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

I like them, the car looks real mean in the night pictures. I wonder if something similar can be done with the camaro fog lights?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Halo install around Projector fog lights on my Formula...