Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What is this milky looking stuff on my TT2s

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this milky looking stuff on my TT2s

I have polished TT2 wheels. I had read on here that a member used some lanes new aluminum wheel cleaner to great success ( its a high acid wheel cleaner, just the smell alone lets you know how strong it is ). I tried some on a small portion of a wheel and now it looks like someone threw milk on my wheel. Did this happen to anyone here before? Is this normal and now I gotta polish it?

The dude posted before and after pics so I figured it was legit ( esp since others said its good too )
Old 06-23-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

You have to neutralize the wheel acid with a degreaser or you'll end up with that mess on clear-coated wheels....you've etched the clear with the wheel acid, you can polish it back out with some light compound on a soft cloth. The trick to wheel acid is to wet the wheel with water first (both to cool the wheel and to give the acid something to work with...it NEEDS water to work), then spray the acid on, let it sit for about 2 or 3 minutes at the most and then rinse it very well with water...THEN spray a degreaser on it (degreaser is a base...it will neutralize the acid in the wheel cleaner) and rinse the wheel very well again to remove all residue
Old 06-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TT2's are not clearcoated.

You sure that stuff you used is supposed to be safe for bare aluminum?

Whatever it is it'll probably come right off with a powerball and some mothers billet.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Teching In

my dad bought some stuff that did the same thing, and he was like this **** sucks however... do what the guy above me said and it works great.. you need a neutralizer, just do what the guy above me said and you should have good looking wheels that keep brake dust off for the most part and so on..
Old 06-23-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

with polished wheels you have to be very carefull with what you put on them! make sure it says for polished applications or something of that nature!
Old 06-24-2009, 12:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't use any of that crap on a polished wheel ... ... unless you like repolishing them ... you just created a bunch of work for yourself...soap, water, and wax are all that is needed to keep your wheels looking good .... the less chemicals your are involved with the better ...
Old 06-24-2009, 01:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^x2. Polished wheels are a PITA the keep looking good. Check the labels where you get your detailing supplies, they usually have stuff that is made for polished finishes
Old 06-24-2009, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Scira
^x2. Polished wheels are a PITA the keep looking good. Check the labels where you get your detailing supplies, they usually have stuff that is made for polished finishes
Yes they do it is called metal polish...Mothers and Wenol and many others offer it...get what ever brand you like and a miniball for your drill and go at it...I usually did mine 2-3 times a year .... with soap & water for cleaning with a little wax once in a while...the less chemicals you use the better of you are ...
Old 06-24-2009, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Oh, and since we're talking about polished aluminum, I would HIGHLY recommend sealing them with ZoopSeal.

I'm in the process of sealing all of my raw-aluminum pieces underhood right now. Been reading about the stuff for years...finally took the plunge.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

so the steps would be....
clean, degrease, polish, seal, wax?
i'm about to strip the clear off my factory t/a wheels and polish them up.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:45 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Don't use any of that crap on a polished wheel ... ... unless you like repolishing them ... you just created a bunch of work for yourself...soap, water, and wax are all that is needed to keep your wheels looking good .... the less chemicals your are involved with the better ...
x 2. soap and water or a little simple green (dilluted) will work just fine. don't use any acid, motor degreaser, etc on an aluminum wheel.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was he person who used it mine was a little milky do a 50/50 mix with lanes and water spray on wait 30 seconds hose off good. clean with soap and water and throw on some aluminum polish and ull be amazed with the results
Old 06-27-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys. I had this happen to me once before and had to polish with eagle one and the power ball for hours to get it off. I made the mistake of using the acid 50/50 mix on a bare wheel that had been sitting in the sun for hours baking.

What is a good degrease for TT2 wheels? Also, if the acid is eating away the dirt and such, why do you need another cleaner ( the degreaser )?

Quick Reply: What is this milky looking stuff on my TT2s