Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

hoods

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default hoods

So I have a question. I'm torn between either a glasstek 4" cowl hood or a vfn cowl hood. I know vfn is a sponsor and most people will say to go with them but I know a buddy of mine has a glasstek hood and it looks really good on his car.

The price difference is about $50 so it's not a big deal but I've heard that glasstek hoods weigh less and don't have as many fitment issues, the only problem is I've tried calling them 4 times and nobody answered the phones. Whereas I called vfn and there was a nice woman who actually talked to me on the phone. I also heard through the grapevine VFN maybe having a group purchase about to happen?

I don't know which one to go with so please help me. I also plan to keep it flat black on my white z28 to go with my flat black tail lights and I think it will make a good contrast.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:38 AM
liqour enthusiest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by am_muscl
So I have a question. I'm torn between either a glasstek 4" cowl hood or a vfn cowl hood. I know vfn is a sponsor and most people will say to go with them but I know a buddy of mine has a glasstek hood and it looks really good on his car.

The price difference is about $50 so it's not a big deal but I've heard that glasstek hoods weigh less and don't have as many fitment issues, the only problem is I've tried calling them 4 times and nobody answered the phones. Whereas I called vfn and there was a nice woman who actually talked to me on the phone. I also heard through the grapevine VFN maybe having a group purchase about to happen?

I don't know which one to go with so please help me. I also plan to keep it flat black on my white z28 to go with my flat black tail lights and I think it will make a good contrast.
i have a glasstek on mine, on my blue car i picked up a sunoco hood from vfn and it didnt fit all that well and ended up selling it. the glasstek on the red car fit like a glove. i painted it onyx black metallic.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Teching In

red car looks nice
Old 11-28-2009, 12:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My VFN fit great. I had even seems on all sides.

Since you are in IL, VFN is real close and you can pick up the hood to avoid shipping cost.

~Jim~
Old 11-28-2009, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

Glasstek is in IL too.... Naperville to be exact.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

I had the same issue with not being able to make my mind up about to same two hoods your talking about and i think i settled in the VFN sunoco.. Good luck on your choice they both look great.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
Learn something new everyday.

~Jim~
Old 11-28-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
sam what would you go with, I know you have the widebody sunoco hood but would you rather have a glasstek cowl hood or vfn? The only reason I can think of to not go with glasstek is just because I can't ever talk to them on the phone.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:37 AM
liqour enthusiest

they could be away due to the holidays.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by am_muscl
sam what would you go with, I know you have the widebody sunoco hood but would you rather have a glasstek cowl hood or vfn? The only reason I can think of to not go with glasstek is just because I can't ever talk to them on the phone.
I have the normal sunoco hood.... the wide version is taller.

I've seen a glasstek hood up close and it didn't feel lighter but it looked better and was definitely more solid and seemed to have more support. One thing I remember seeing was it had to be notched to clear the bolts that hold the fender in place on one car that was about it. Right now my current VFN hood has issues with not clearing my wiper arm and rubbing on the plastic so I had to notch it and IMO that shouldn't have to happen... Nothing I can do or done will get it to clear the wiper arm on the passenger side besides lift it so high that it doesn't line up to the fenders So I have been playing with the idea of switching to a glasstek but wanted to give vfn the doubt and try another sunoco hood cause I like it so much and there aren't many around here but I don't have money to blow so i haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

As far as glasstek I've heard that they were hard to reach and I also heard you need to fax or Email your order in but I could be mistaken. If you still worried you can go through one of the local shops and have them order it.

But to help with the decision search for pics of each hood and see which one looks better.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Launching!

Here is the hood Sam was speaking of. I had to keep him from stealing it.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ended up ordering the 4" cowl glasstek hood and I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. I'm really excited and I appreciate everyone's input. I will post up some pics when I get my car back and the hood on it. I plan on keeping it flat black on my white car so it should set it off really cool looking.

Quick Reply: hoods