Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Undercoating Will it hurt the Value?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 09:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Undercoating Will it hurt the Value?

I think I want to undercoat my Firehawk. If I do it I will take my time tape off things or take them off the car or whatever needs. Would this hurt the value of the car? Its got a few things done to it, and I never really plan to sell it. Just hit 70,000 miles before I put it away this winter. Its just one of those things that bugs me about the car, I want it to be "cleaner" ya know. I wish I could just paint it base/clear but I dont have the time to
Old 12-12-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go with something like POR15 if you can. Undercoating is nasty stuff, and can flake and wear off over time. If you take the time to take off the exhaust shields and such, and do POR15, it will be hard as a rock. Plus it will look like a million bucks, especially since its a black car it will match, plus be lighter than undercoat.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you dont plan on selling it, whats it matter what the value is? but really.....no i dont tihnk it will hurt the value.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:04 AM
10 Second Club

Id planed to use POR15, Iv done truck bed liner for customers and it was OK..but Iv never got to use the POR stuff..but Thats what Iv wanted to use!
Old 12-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

If you were in Minnesota or another state that uses a lot of salt on the roads I would say it might lower the value. It is just to hard to see how solid the car is.
Brad
Old 12-12-2009, 11:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Several fbods that were to be sold up north were undercoated from the factory to protect against the elements. I don't see it hurting your value. Collectors want under 20,000 miles usually anyway, so I wouldn't worry about the undercoating being what does it.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gordo78
I'd go with something like POR15 if you can. Undercoating is nasty stuff, and can flake and wear off over time. If you take the time to take off the exhaust shields and such, and do POR15, it will be hard as a rock. Plus it will look like a million bucks, especially since its a black car it will match, plus be lighter than undercoat.
POR15 is some AWESOME stuff. My buddy did a frame off resto on a '70 chevelle and when we had everything stripped down, he used that to coat everything, and it looks awesome and makes it real easy to keep it clean
Old 12-12-2009, 12:48 PM
10 Second Club

Did he brush it or spray it?
Old 12-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

Yes there were cars sold up here undercoated, but my point was that if I was looking at a car in Minnesota to buy I would not buy an undercoated one because you nave no idea of what is under it.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:53 PM
10 Second Club

I think we get your point about "hiding" crap or somethin like that. How many 4th gens do you see that are needing floor pans and rear quarters because they are all rusted out. Most people on here take pride in there cars like me, Now some taht are like you up north COULD have rust issues. My car doesnt get out too often. Never rain/snow ect. 70,000 miles, I dont plan on selling it anytime soon, I have nothin to hide..these cars are not know for rusting away just yet..
Old 12-12-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 223HAWK
Did he brush it or spray it?
Brushed it. Just don't get it anywhere that you don't want it, pretty much the only the that takes it off is the special solvent they make just for it, or brake fluid lol
Old 12-12-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
Several fbods that were to be sold up north were undercoated from the factory to protect against the elements. I don't see it hurting your value. Collectors want under 20,000 miles usually anyway, so I wouldn't worry about the undercoating being what does it.

Can you elaborate on that? Are you sure and where some 2002s done? The reason I ask is my car is undercoated but the original owner swore she hadnt had it done...so I thought the dealer might have done it but the original owner was there and took the car as it came off the truck...so I didnt know how they would have done it either. Its a pretty decent job but was done with the car assembled because it is (or was) all over the trans and oil pan and all the factory suspension.

BTW my car was sold new in Dayton OH.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Scira
Brushed it. Just don't get it anywhere that you don't want it, pretty much the only the that takes it off is the special solvent they make just for it, or brake fluid lol
sorry feel kind of stupid asking this but when you say brush you mean just like brush it on with a paint brush? and it doesnt leave the lil bristle marks?
Old 12-12-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

OP-Why not just get the car sprayed in a non drip oil?? I use this stuff called LPS Rust Inhibitor and it works great. It has a light, transperent gold color and it prevents rust and corrosion. I dont drive the car in the rain yet alone snow and it works excellent.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 95&01camaross
sorry feel kind of stupid asking this but when you say brush you mean just like brush it on with a paint brush? and it doesnt leave the lil bristle marks?
We just used a mini roller, then for the tough to reach places used a foam brush. It's pretty thick, so putting it on even was the hardest part. Other than that, it looked great after it dried
Old 12-12-2009, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Striker
OP-Why not just get the car sprayed in a non drip oil?? I use this stuff called LPS Rust Inhibitor and it works great. It has a light, transperent gold color and it prevents rust and corrosion. I dont drive the car in the rain yet alone snow and it works excellent.
I dont drive my car much..lol. The reason I want to undercoat it or somethign like that is just clean it up, not for rust or cover any up. The car is solid, I repainted it about 3 weeks ago, gatta love GMs lovely paint! I just like a "clean" car. I plan on painting the engine bay this winter also.but anyway..I dont think Id like a goldish tint..not that you would see it, but it would be in the back of my mind.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

There are alot of f-bodys that were driven in the winter here, why i do not understand but they do it. I just picked up a 95 with a bad motor that came from Florida last week that is real clean but have looked a lot of ugly ones.
If you are keeping it I wouln't see why it would make a difference but when you do sell you may limit some of your markets.
Attached Thumbnails Undercoating Will it hurt the Value?-z1.jpg   Undercoating Will it hurt the Value?-z2.jpg   Undercoating Will it hurt the Value?-z3.jpg   Undercoating Will it hurt the Value?-z4.jpg   Undercoating Will it hurt the Value?-z5.jpg  

Old 12-13-2009, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

por15 is amazing stuff. i mean, your able to paint over rust with it and it doesnt matter. and the stuff, like other have stated, is insanely durable. i would do that instead of undercoating if it were me. but my car isnt daily driven and its in texas so there really is no need to me to do it.

the rear wheel wells in my car are undercoated now that i think about it, unless that is a factory option. maybe the original owner did it.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
Can you elaborate on that? Are you sure and where some 2002s done? The reason I ask is my car is undercoated but the original owner swore she hadnt had it done...so I thought the dealer might have done it but the original owner was there and took the car as it came off the truck...so I didnt know how they would have done it either. Its a pretty decent job but was done with the car assembled because it is (or was) all over the trans and oil pan and all the factory suspension.

BTW my car was sold new in Dayton OH.
I can a little bit. my car was sold in hawaii and i'm pretty sure its got a factory undercoating. it was possibly added to in florida in 02 according to carfax. My rear wheel wells have the same kind of undercoating as the rocker panels.

here is what i think is factory undercoating on the rocker panels. it looks like some of it shifted at one point maybe due to jacking the car up or something? although that is right in the middle of the drivers side under the door so i don't see why a jack would have been used there.

and here is the floorpan itself which also looks to have undercoating on it since it doesn't appear gloss black like the car itself. its got kind of a dull tint to it and looks to have a rough surface

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 12-13-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
I can a little bit. my car was solid in hawaii and i'm pretty sure its got a factory undercoating. it was possibly added to in florida in 02 according to carfax. My rear wheel wells have the same kind of undercoating as the rocker panels.

here is what i think is factory undercoating on the rocker panels. it looks like some of it shifted at one point maybe due to jacking the car up or something? although that is right in the middle of the drivers side under the door so i don't see why a jack would have been used there.

and here is the floorpan itself which also looks to have undercoating on it since it doesn't appear gloss black like the car itself. its got kind of a dull tint to it and looks to have a rough surface
this is the exact same stuff as my car. and my car is a texas car? weird.

Quick Reply: Undercoating Will it hurt the Value?