Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HID question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID question

I am looking at putting HID's in my 01 TA. I am going with 6000k kit. Should I just go with a standard 6000k kit or a slim ballasts kit? Or possibly an open beam headlight kits? Also, do I need a wire relay harness? Thanks.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Slim is usually digital and usually better. I have the slim digital ballasts and they have never failed to turn on even in subzero weather, and that is hooked to the stock harness. Now the birds have the motors so there is more draw on the line when first kicking the lights on, so a relay harness may be needed.

Not sure what you mean by "open beam" headlight kit.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Not sure what you mean by "open beam" headlight kit.
Just going by what is on the site. I would put a link up but I don't know if I am aloud to. With TA's do I need to get a new housing unit?
Old 12-22-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-trans-am.html

There's pretty much everything you need to know. I finally ordered some yesterday.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you. Just to clarify, that is the only thing I need to buy? I don't need to buy separate bulbs or new housings or anything?

Last edited by Garner_96Z; 12-23-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:06 AM
FormerVendor

Slims were only developed because some cars do not have the clearance for the bigger kits. Yes they are digital. You will not be able to tell the difference.

I run both types in my car and have been selling them for 1.5 years now.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

thanks guys
Old 12-23-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure you also buy a relay harness they sell them on ebay for 10 bucks its plug and play it wires you hid's to a 12 volt power source i only had a problem with them both going on in my trans am ive put the same kit in 4 other cars no problem but its a f body always expect the worst
Old 12-24-2009, 10:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by colby72olds
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-trans-am.html

There's pretty much everything you need to know. I finally ordered some yesterday.
Thanks Colby.

Garner, go with a slim ballast. As said, slim ballasts are digital and more reliable (and easier to hide in the engine bay). You will need an HID kit (I recommend www.ddmtuning.com) and you have two options.

The T/A has a sealed beam light housing. Meaning, you can't just take the bulb out of the housing, and put a new one in. Imagine it as that whole housing being your bulb. It's "SEALED" so you CANT just plug in an HID kit.

You can either:

1. (Recommended) Get a sealed beam conversion housing from Euro Lights (http://eurolamps.com/eurolamps/sealedbeams.htm) This is the same as your stock housing, only it's NOT sealed. It has an opening in the back for an H7 bulb. If you follow my write-up Colby posted, you'll probably understand a little more.

2. You can drill out your factory sealed beam housings, and pull OUT the sealed bulb. You would then need to seat your HID bulb inside, and use gray silicon to seal it in place. I don't recommend this but I've seen it done before. My issue with this is, if you seal the bulb in the wrong position, you can't adjust them. And if it blows, I assume you would have to scrape away at all that sealant to get it back out.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Thanks Colby.

Garner, go with a slim ballast. As said, slim ballasts are digital and more reliable (and easier to hide in the engine bay). You will need an HID kit (I recommend www.ddmtuning.com) and you have two options.

The T/A has a sealed beam light housing. Meaning, you can't just take the bulb out of the housing, and put a new one in. Imagine it as that whole housing being your bulb. It's "SEALED" so you CANT just plug in an HID kit.

You can either:

1. (Recommended) Get a sealed beam conversion housing from Euro Lights (http://eurolamps.com/eurolamps/sealedbeams.htm) This is the same as your stock housing, only it's NOT sealed. It has an opening in the back for an H7 bulb. If you follow my write-up Colby posted, you'll probably understand a little more.

2. You can drill out your factory sealed beam housings, and pull OUT the sealed bulb. You would then need to seat your HID bulb inside, and use gray silicon to seal it in place. I don't recommend this but I've seen it done before. My issue with this is, if you seal the bulb in the wrong position, you can't adjust them. And if it blows, I assume you would have to scrape away at all that sealant to get it back out.

Hope this helps.
3.) Hella also makes a Euro light that was put in our cars for overseas shipment since they require it.. That's the route I went and the bulbs in those are H4 I believe.. Figured if it was factory, it was a quality piece.. No complaints at all, what so ever.. I don't have the link or website bc I'm not at my computer, but if I remember I'll post up when I get home, or pm since they're not a sponsor, or however the heck that crap works..
Old 12-24-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just drill and hollow out your old bulb and silicone the new hid bulb in took me about 30 mins each and saved a few 100
Old 12-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the info. Went with the 35w 6000k from ddm.

Last edited by Garner_96Z; 12-24-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slvr00Bird
3.) Hella also makes a Euro light that was put in our cars for overseas shipment since they require it.. That's the route I went and the bulbs in those are H4 I believe.. Figured if it was factory, it was a quality piece.. No complaints at all, what so ever.. I don't have the link or website bc I'm not at my computer, but if I remember I'll post up when I get home, or pm since they're not a sponsor, or however the heck that crap works..
Wow, didn't know that! Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by Garner_96Z
Thanks for all the info. Went with the 35w 6000k from ddm.
Good choice man. let me know if you need any help.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

I ordered the conversion kit from eurolights.com and I have not recieved any shipping info or anything from them but the statement appeared on my credit card. I have called many times and sent them e-mail but no response from either. Are these guys still around?
Old 01-04-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

I ordered the conversion kit from eurolights.com and I have not recieved any shipping info or anything from them but the statement appeared on my credit card. I have called many times and sent them e-mail but no response from either. Are these guys still around?
Its eurolamps.com, not to sure about eurolights.com
Old 01-05-2010, 03:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is this the site you bought yours from - http://eurolamps.com/eurolamps/camaro_headlights.htm?

If so, I also order a set from them a couple years or so ago. And although I never established any kind of communication from them, I did receive my order in about 3 weeks. Took a bit of time, but what I got was in excellent condition.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Thanks Colby.

You can either:

Hope this helps.
To be honest, I wouldn't order from DDM tuning. The communication is terrible, and it's almost been longer then week since I received my order. If I knew it was going to be this bad I would have ordered from EBAY instead.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Strange. DDM did a fine job on my order. I avoided the Eurolights housing and went for the Bosch housing that was done for ECE compliance of Trans-Ams in the EU. Those are available from Susquehanna Racing and the quality seems high. Some folks have had Euro and Bosch and prefered the Bosch.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

i just ordered mine for the fogs last sunday but everytime I check to see if it was shipped it keeps saying "processed".
Old 01-16-2010, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah the same thing happened to me. They came in the time they quoted, but they never gave me any shipping info or anything. Then they emailed me after the housings came in. I'd just be patient, they're probably on their way.