Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New overlay gauge , having problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down New overlay gauge , having problems

Just got the new overlay , looks better than stock gauges , but now I got two problems ,

first problem , pics talk

the problem that my stock gauges are in KM/H and here is what happened when I installed the overlay , I was thinking about removing it again , scratch the old numbers and put the overlay back again , would that work ?? anyone have a better idea ??

and also didn't know how to remove the old lights , i was thinking to replace them with LED's after solving the first problem.

second problem , I removed the needles !!! I didn't put it back yet ?? what should I expect ???
Old 01-13-2010, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Well I got overlays as well, but from 6LE. But if you "scratch" or sand down the numbers so its clear all the way through, then you shouldn't have a problem. Don't sand big spots though, just around the KPH numbers so the light shines.

If that doesn't work for any reason, I suppose buying a used stock MPH overlay would fix it for sure.

As far as the leds go, I'm pretty sure there is a thread on this. I'm positive there is one a different site, since that's what I used when I did mine. Not sure if I'm allowed to put it up here so just PM me if you want it.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

WHEW!!! For a second I thought from the title you were having a problem with one of ours. Sorry, I had to do it.

Okay, now on to help you... Did you take pictures of your gauges at operating temp BEFORE you removed the needles? If not that's your first problem....but it can easily be solved with HP tuners...if you've got it (I sure dont). If not, then you gotta go from memory. Or maybe set your gauges to your friends car, if it's really similar....other than that, I dont know what to really tell ya.

As far as more light: Can you exchange the overlays with the company for correct KM/H ones? If not, then your only choice might be to sand down the areas you need light to pass though on your original overlay...from the back side.

As far as the LED bulbs go, on the back side of your cluster (assuming you have a '98 or newer car) you'll see 8 round black bulb holders. 5 of those are for back lighting of the cluster and the other 3 are for turn signals and the high beam indicator. They simple twist out and then right back in. Really easy. Might be easier with a set of small pliers.

I wish I could help you more, but that's all I can think of to help you. Yes it's a competitors piece, but I dont think you should get screwed by it. I'd be upset if i were in your shoes too. If you're interested in an amazing custom set ever, just shoot us a message and we'll chat.

Our page might help you out with LED's and the install as well.
http://6litereaterdesigns.com/forum/...11225#msg11225
Old 01-13-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sommer86@6LE
WHEW!!! For a second I thought from the title you were having a problem with one of ours. Sorry, I had to do it.

Our page might help you out with LED's and the install as well.
http://6litereaterdesigns.com/forum/...11225#msg11225
Oh yee of little faith lol.

As far as the needle placement, If I didn't have a beginning refferance point I would let the car warm up for about 10-15 minutes, let the thermostat open & let the fans cycle. With the car still running put the temp, oil press, & battery in the straight up position. The gauges are designed to have the needles pointing straight up for an easy glance while you are driving if all is well (assuming it is). Go to the gas station & fill up, then put the fuel needle on. As far as the tach & speedo without a tuner of some kind you will have to go from memory or an estimation from surrounding traffic. Also remember that the gauges from GM off the show room floor werent all that accurate to begin with so........ just keep that in mind.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

Did you take pictures of your gauges at operating temp BEFORE you removed the needles? If
unfortunately No !

then your only choice might be to sand down the areas you need light

I think I'll do that . but what do you mean from the back side ?

As far as the tach & speedo without a tuner of some kind you will have to go from memory or an estimation from surrounding traffic
I have efilive , is that ok ? and how to ? .... without a tuner do you mean I have to drive the car next to other and put the needle while driving ?? sounds strange but idk if you mean this !!!
Old 01-14-2010, 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

looks like its isnt aligned right..
Old 01-14-2010, 01:16 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mohammed
Just got the new overlay , looks better than stock gauges , but now I got two problems ,

first problem , pics talk

the problem that my stock gauges are in KM/H and here is what happened when I installed the overlay , I was thinking about removing it again , scratch the old numbers and put the overlay back again , would that work ?? anyone have a better idea ??

and also didn't know how to remove the old lights , i was thinking to replace them with LED's after solving the first problem.

second problem , I removed the needles !!! I didn't put it back yet ?? what should I expect ???
Sorry, but I have to ask, why in the heck would you go ahead and put them on if you knew they read different (MPH/KPH)?

Sanding them is not going to help, it is just going to make it worse. Those overlays are made to just stick on the top and therefore rely on two things:

1) Manufacturing tolerances being perfect (from factory and from company)

2) Customer installing them perfectly (a little off and light is a little off).

There's no way for them to work properly when the numbers on the overlay face are different than the numbers on the stickers you're putting over them.

The needles are not a problem since you have EFI live, it will tell you where to put everything back at....
Old 01-14-2010, 01:18 AM
Banned

Only thing you can do to really salvage this is make it a two tone overlay. Trim the speedometer white part off and leave it black. It will be like what Ferrari does with the tachometer...

Again though, DON'T SAND ON THIS OVERLAY. The only time sanding KIND OF works is on STOCK overlays when you're just trying to remove a tinted color. You can't "open the holes" up. You'll just totally mess up the overlay.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:25 AM
TECH Regular

Trim the speedometer white part off and leave it black. It will be like what Ferrari does with the tachometer...
u kidding right !!!

I'm doing something right now ,, if it didn't work ,,,I'll be needing new stock gauge
Old 01-14-2010, 03:32 AM
Banned

u kidding right !!!

I'm doing something right now ,, if it didn't work ,,,I'll be needing new stock gauge
There should be tons of people on here now with stock overlays laying around that they removed when they installed ours...

I wasn't kidding either, check this out...

Just trying to offer some optimistic advice as opposed to the obvious, "you just threw away your money, it isn't going to work..."

Last edited by 6LITEREATER; 01-14-2010 at 03:39 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Just trying to offer some optimistic advice as opposed to the obvious, "you just threw away your money, it isn't going to work..."

the reason I have this problem is because I didn't know that these overlays are just sticky layers , I didn't have any idea about it ,thought I have only to replace the stock overlay .

I'm not happy to have this problem and not ready to waste more money, it just the speedo and I'm working on it.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:17 AM
Banned

the reason I have this problem is because I didn't know that these overlays are just sticky layers , I didn't have any idea about it ,thought I have only to replace the stock overlay .

I'm not happy to have this problem and not ready to waste more money, it just the speedo and I'm working on it.
If you don't care about the MPH part then just get someone's factory take off (with MPH) and put your overlay on it and then reinstall it on yours.

Then it will line up and light up...
Old 01-14-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Spd-Kilz might have his old stocker laying around...he's in Canada and has KM/H i think.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sommer86@6LE
Spd-Kilz might have his old stocker laying around...he's in Canada and has KM/H i think.
So if he has a stock KPH overlay. how would that help him? He needs a stock MPH one.

Wish I had mine to give ya, but threw it out. Sorry man.

And I'm really not sure why sanding wouldn't work. Would it look bad? I dont know what the opacity is of those kinds of overlays.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

^^^D'oh!!! You're right, I got it backwards.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AdmAnt13
So if he has a stock KPH overlay. how would that help him? He needs a stock MPH one.

Wish I had mine to give ya, but threw it out. Sorry man.

And I'm really not sure why sanding wouldn't work. Would it look bad? I dont know what the opacity is of those kinds of overlays.

Next time , don't throw anything out , lol

here is what I did last night , so far it looks good , but not finished yet.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:30 AM
Banned

Next time , don't throw anything out , lol

here is what I did last night , so far it looks good , but not finished yet.

Hmmm... You could just take a razor blade and cut those sections out, that will get you the most light.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

Here is the result ,

Old 01-15-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Regular

planning to get LED's
Old 01-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Banned

Here is the result ,

Holy crap that is bright ! Are you going to do the same thing to the other parts of the overlay now?