Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

brake fluid on headlights????

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question brake fluid on headlights????

ok i need some of yalls advice... so my dad is really good friends with this mechanic, he is a great guy and def knows some tricks to make things work... well yesterday my dad was washing his 00 maxima and his headlights were HORRIBLE! they were yellow and hayzzy, well my dads mechanic told him to rub the headlights down with some breake fluid and it'll clean them right up... so i told him i wouldnt count my lucky stars on it working... sure enough it cleaned them up... they weren't wet sanding perfect but they were about 85% clear and could just use some polishing... although it did leave the light kinda sticky, does anyone know any kinda specifics on brake fluid and headlights that could give me some insight if this is bad for you headlights or not... i would put up some pics but i have not before pics of his headlights because i mean it's his DD...
Old 01-19-2010, 11:57 AM
11 Second Club

Its a temporary fix.

Sanding is the best way of actually doing it.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brake fluid will eat up alot of gunk. It'll strip paint, and it'll eat plastic. I wouldn't put it on headlights...
Old 01-19-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its a trick a lot of used car lots use to make the headlights on their cars look good until they can sell them...but it wont last and in fact makes them look even worse in the long run.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Another little trick is using Armor-all wipes. Same kind of idea. You're filling in the microabrasions on the surface and thats why you get a "smooth looking" surface....because it is smooth (meaning level)....plus, you're "polishing" the lenses too. But it maybe lasts a week or so. But you get like 25 wipes in a bottle.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

You can get a 3m kit from wal-mart that has a round pad that goes into a drill and then it has all the sanding pads all the way up to a buffing pad with buffing compound. Its like $20 or so but it works great, i used it on mine.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bthanks
You can get a 3m kit from wal-mart that has a round pad that goes into a drill and then it has all the sanding pads all the way up to a buffing pad with buffing compound. Its like $20 or so but it works great, i used it on mine.
Glad to hear this, I was thinking about getting this kit.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

I would never put brake fluid near my car, unless it was going in the reservoir.

Use a piece of sand paper and a buffer with some compound. It will actually last, and look nice.

If you dont have a buffer, get a kit from walmart and use their wheel in a drill.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
ok i need some of yalls advice... so my dad is really good friends with this mechanic, he is a great guy and def knows some tricks to make things work... well yesterday my dad was washing his 00 maxima and his headlights were HORRIBLE! they were yellow and hayzzy, well my dads mechanic told him to rub the headlights down with some breake fluid and it'll clean them right up... so i told him i wouldnt count my lucky stars on it working... sure enough it cleaned them up... they weren't wet sanding perfect but they were about 85% clear and could just use some polishing... although it did leave the light kinda sticky, does anyone know any kinda specifics on brake fluid and headlights that could give me some insight if this is bad for you headlights or not... i would put up some pics but i have not before pics of his headlights because i mean it's his DD...
Brake Fluid contains numerous Glycol Ethers such as Diethylene glycol monopropyl ether, Triethylene glycol monomethyl ether, Triethylene glycol ethyl ether etc, etc.

Glycol Ethers are pretty strong solvents, used for thinning paint and much more.

What you're doing by putting the brake fluid on plastic is dissolving the outer most layer of plastic it will look level and even more clear. But you are really damaging the plastic. The tacky feeling you are getting is dissolved plastic, it will either harden back up after the solvents evaporate or worse, dissolve right through the lens. If I were you I would wash the headlights off with soap and water to neutralize the solvent and prevent the brake fluid from dissolving the entire lens.

Quick Reply: brake fluid on headlights????