Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Seemingly constant turn signal issues and I'm fed up. Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seemingly constant turn signal issues and I'm fed up. Need help.

I have tried using the search method, as well as google. I feel I have to ask you guys because this has been bothering me for some time.

I have a 2001 pontiac trans am. The car stopped flashing its turn signals when I would turn them on. They would stay lit. I put the hazards on and every light stay lit except the right front. To make a long story short, I finally got into a garage that lets you use their lift and tools and managed to replace it. I left with no problem. But not 10 minutes later it started again!

This time the left front would stay on whether the left or right turn signal was being turned on. I replaced that, and now the left front doesn't come on and the right front comes on whether I turn on the left or right turn signal.

I tried to replace the turn signal/reverse lights fuse that is shown on the manual. Still nothing.

So I go to lock the car/arm the alarm and of course, all of the four signal lights flash. The left front signal still doesn't work when turned on and the rest all just stay lit.

This is driving me nuts. I read a few yahoo answers, message forum posts, and google results. I really don't know what to do. Not having working turn signals for this long has completely taken the pleasure out of driving it for me, because it's constantly on my mind. I'd rather take care of the problem myself than bring it in my shop. Any idea what it is?
Old 01-30-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would be checking all the bulb sockets and all the bulbs. Make sure you have NO bulbs burnt out or any sockets that are cooked (common on these cars for the sockets to get screwed up from bulb heat).

Maybe even check/replace the two flashers under the dash on the driver side (hazard and blinker).
Old 01-30-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 Check your sockets. I burnt out both my front turn signals (Camaro, but same sockets). I replaced them with some regular Autozone sockets that come with heavier wiring. I haven't had a problem yet :knocksonwood:

This....is a bad thing...
Old 01-30-2010, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the responses!

Where could I find directions to replace the turn signal flasher? I will go ahead and do that after I check both from signals tomorrow.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Slow
Thanks for the responses!

Where could I find directions to replace the turn signal flasher? I will go ahead and do that after I check both from signals tomorrow.
remove the panel underneath the steering wheel (panel with hatch button) and they are up there

maybe someone will chime in to tell u the exact location. its been awhile since i had mine apart
Old 01-31-2010, 02:15 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks much! I'm going to try to order a socket for the left front turn signal, as it's the only one that wont go on when the hazards are on, and when the turn signals are on. It appears to be burnt like the picture above. I couldn't get it at the local parts store. Going to a gm dealer tomorrow.

If that doesn't work, I'll try the flasher.

I'm putting more into turn signal parts for this car, than performance! This isn't good!
Old 01-31-2010, 07:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The parts store should have one. It is the standard GM socket located in the "Help" section. It won't show up in their computer as a turn signal socket because their computer is retarded

I had to replace both my sockets in the front because they were twice as bad as what Lotus posted a pic of. Mine were charred black, not just well cooked brown.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah don't go to the dealer to get it unless your comfortable with paying $40 for a $3 part. All the auto part stores have them. They're just the generic GM socket. They fit.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks I found a generic socket. I just need to put it on!
Old 01-31-2010, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Also take out the lens and look at the top of it, It is probably cracked and letting water in. Another thing to look for is if you follow the ground on that side of the light that bolts to the radiator support back to the harness(need to peel the loom back) the point where the 4-5 grounds meet is probably corroded and not making a proper ground. Do not just start replacing parts like flashers until you have checked everything.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah I had the same problem, the sockets end up getting fucked and you have to replace them. or you can play with the socket and bulb until it starts working, but that turn signal thats not working has to be on and you play with the bulb a little.

Quick Reply: Seemingly constant turn signal issues and I'm fed up. Need help.