Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Advice for detailing the Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 01:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Advice for detailing the Camaro

So i've decided to take a few days and really detail the Camaro. All i've ever done is just the standard wash and wax. The car only has 22xxx miles on it and is garage kept, so the paint still looks pretty good. From what i've read, start with a wash, clay bar, clean with 50/50 isopropal alcohol, wash again, and wax. I'm planning on a base paste wax, then a liquid wax to finish using Megs NXT 2.0 products for both. How many layers of each should I put on? Is there a difference between a wax and a sealant? if so, what do you recommend? I don't have the money to get a orbital buffer, this will all be done by hand or using the Mothers ball. Any advice is great appreciated. I'll get some before and after pics up once I get going.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

anyone???
Old 04-28-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK let's start from the top-

Yes, wash the car with PROPER tools. Washing and drying is the most basic thing but people don't realize that this is 80-90% of the reason you get swirls in the paint. *Get a bucket with a grit guard* also, get a nice microfiber glove to wash the car. To dry it, get a nice waffle weave towel. Also for the soap, use a dish soap such as dawn. This will eliminate any other waxes/oils you may have had on the paint.

Next step is to clay bar the car, this is pretty much straight forward so I dont know what to recommend besides two things: Don't press hard on the clay against the paint and two, lots of clay lubricant unless you like having clay marks on your paint and having a difficult time moving the clay back and forth After the clay, you would wash the car again and dry it.

Now you're done the dirty work, time to make it shiny! Before applying a LSP (last step product) you have to figure out what you like the look of the most, and how often you wanna work on the car (when I say work, I mean detailing it, maintaining its appearance) Two main types of paint protection: Sealents and Waxes (for example Carnauba based waxes)

Sealents last longer and provide a more mirror like shine, with clean crisp cut lines . Carnauba's dont last as long but if the car is a summer toy, this is what I'd go for. They leave a brilliant, deep shine and make black look like a pool of ink. This is where I was going with my original question, how often do you like working on the car?

Layeringcan be done with both sealents and waxes alike. How much depends on you. I don't see a need for more than 3 coats IMO. What you can do is if you really want the extra longevity of a sealent but like the rich carnauba look, apply a coat of two of a sealent followed by 'nuba. *ALWAYS remember, you can't add a sealent over a 'nuba. So if you applied two coats of a sealent, than a coat of wax.....no more sealents....just wax!
Old 04-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

You can only do so much with your hand when it comes to detailing. Without a buffer it is hard to really fine detail the car, but the steps you described works good. Instead of using 50/50 IPA, try a cleaner wax or paint cleaner. It works better when you are not compounding/polishing since the IPA is mainly to get rid of left over residue and cross contamination.

Paste wax by hand is generally a little better, but Meg's NXT is good stuff. Be sure to let the wax dry and then wait another 1-2 hours between coats of wax. 2 coats will do.

Sealants generally last 6 months and Waxes will last 3 months. Sealants give it the glossy shine, and Carnauba waxes give it nice depth. It is best to apply a sealant, wait 12 hours, then apply your 2 coats of wax.

Good luck.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

NXT is more of a sealent type product that has a good amount of filling properties. If you have some fines lines in your paint that you would like to hide, I would try that.

As far as durability goes, I wouldn't count on it for the NXT!
Old 04-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks a lot for the info guys! as Striker suggested, I Think i'm going to go with about 2 layers of sealant, then a fine wax to top it off. I wont be doing this till next week, but I'll post up some pics when I do!
Old 04-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Yep just like Striker said always sealant first. I personally like to wait 12 hours inbetween coats of sealant, and 30min-1hr between wax. Then again sometimes it depends on the product used.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

could you apply two coats of carnauba, on top of each other? or does the second layer have no effect because of the first?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Smoke Em
could you apply two coats of carnauba, on top of each other? or does the second layer have no effect because of the first?
I don't see why not. It really depends on who you ask, some people don't think layering is of any effect, if you ask me I say yes it's good. For starters, not only are you assuring that you are getting even coverage everywhere, but you're also going enhance the look of the car slightly.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Striker, what particular products and form of application would you recommend? judging by your sig, i'm guess 'lots of zaino'
Old 04-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Smoke Em
i put 3 coats of wax on top of the sealant. not really noticeable to someone walkin by. but between the 1st and 3rd coat, there is definately enough of a difference to make it worth the effort
Old 04-28-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002_LPE_SS
Hey Striker, what particular products and form of application would you recommend? judging by your sig, i'm guess 'lots of zaino'
I'm currently ditching Zaino for this season in favor of this lil bad boy right here

http://www.pinnaclewax.com/souveran.html check it out, im actually looking forward to seeing how it works!

As for method, I simply make sure that the surface is clean and most of all nice and cool. Never work in direct sunlight! With zaino, I like to have a bottle of clean water so I can moisten the applicator and than this way it goes on better for me. If you have any further questions, just ask.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Launching!

i was lookin at the same thing. ive been using the pinnacle souveran liquid wax over wolfgang sealant. would you layer the paste with the liquid? would it work to apply the sealant, paste, then liquid. i was just wondering cause i like using the liquid so i can use the pc.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls6firebird
would it work to apply the sealant, paste, then liquid. i was just wondering cause i like using the liquid so i can use the pc.
I haven't done any readings on the liquid form of Souveran. I bought the paste version seeing as this is the one that's supposed to be "the ****" if you know what I mean. In MY opinion, I don't see the difference. If they're both a carnauba product, I would go either or. Their site claims it's suppose to work in conjugation with the souveran. IMO I wouldn't buy the liquid stuff, there's no way it would be durable and how much added gloss it would give to the paste is something I would question.

Yes, if you wanted to have a sealent as the base, you can layer the souveran over it and than see how the spray wax accompanies it. If you like it, than keep on doing it. Always try new things, its what makes this fun.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Big Turkey
Yep just like Striker said always sealant first. I personally like to wait 12 hours inbetween coats of sealant, and 30min-1hr between wax. Then again sometimes it depends on the product used.
12 hours?!? Holy crap lol. What kind of product do you suggest for a black car? You seem pretty knowledgeable in this, and I'm trying to take notes... lol. Sorry for the hijack OP.

Chris
Old 04-29-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CHRIZ28
12 hours?!? Holy crap lol. What kind of product do you suggest for a black car? You seem pretty knowledgeable in this, and I'm trying to take notes... lol. Sorry for the hijack OP.

Chris
It depends what kind of a look your trying to achieve and second, how much protection you want. The second part will also dictate how often you work on the car.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

Honestly, the car stays in a garage under a car cover 98% of the time. So really whatever looks the best, really like the deep/rich look on black I guess the most. I'm a newb when it comes to extensive detailing...

Chris

EDIT: So far I've got..
1- dawn wash
2- claybar with lots of lubricant
3- wash again.. this time dry
4- 1 coat of sealent, give 1-2 hours to dry, wait 12 hours for next step
5- 2 coats of wax
Old 04-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Striker
I'm currently ditching Zaino for this season in favor of this lil bad boy right here

http://www.pinnaclewax.com/souveran.html check it out, im actually looking forward to seeing how it works!

As for method, I simply make sure that the surface is clean and most of all nice and cool. Never work in direct sunlight! With zaino, I like to have a bottle of clean water so I can moisten the applicator and than this way it goes on better for me. If you have any further questions, just ask.
Striker, I have the liquid version Souveran wax and I can't decide if I like it. I have applied and removed it several ways on several vehicles, all different color, and I cannot get it to come off clean. It always leaves an oily, haze trail and I have to either 1) go over the entire car twice with a polishing cloth or 2) apply a 2nd coat, which helps but I still have to go over some spots. I just simply can't get a clean wipe. I tried applying a panel, removing. Applying to entire car then removing. Applying to entire car, waiting 30min/1hr/1.5hrs and removing, and I still get the same results. I have 2 bottles of this liquid Wax, one brand new never opened so I really would love if I could get this down haha.

Check out www.autogeek.net, they sometimes have specials like BOGO or $10 off waxes.

I have a variety of waxes, ranging from DP Max Wax, Wolfgang Fuzion, P21S, S100, Pinnacle Souveran, NXT, Meg's paste, Poorboy's blue, and some others. I like to test out waxes and get alot of samples sometimes. Hands down, the Wolfgang Fuzion is just amazing. When I say amazing it is THE ****. It is a paste, easy to apply, does not need to dry, and just as easy to remove. The only downfall is the price. It is $49.99 for a 3oz paste. You can upgrade to an 12oz paste for $149.99 and it comes with a cute little carrying case. haha.

I would really like to try the Dodo Juice next, but they are color based and I just can't decide what I want first.

I have used a couple of different sealants and my favorite by far is Wolfgang's Deep Gloss Sealant. Works beautifully on black cars. Top it off with the Fuzion Wax and it just looks AMAZING, and lasts for months. Here are a few pics of my car, 4 months after I detailed it. I just washed it and applied 1 coat of Fuzion. It has been through rain, shine, and lots of aggressive driving

(Clickable Thumbs)

For comparison, here's a 2010 camaro with just Wolfgang's Deep Gloss Sealant on it, after I finished a compound and wax. This car was 2 weeks old when it came to me. It's hard to tell the difference in a photo, but in person there is noticeably more depth with the Fuzion on top, at all angles.

DP just came out with a new sealant called DP Poli-Coat Paint sealant. I ordered one on special and I'll give it a shot on the next car that I do.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CHRIZ28
Honestly, the car stays in a garage under a car cover 98% of the time. So really whatever looks the best, really like the deep/rich look on black I guess the most. I'm a newb when it comes to extensive detailing...

Chris

EDIT: So far I've got..
1- dawn wash
2- claybar with lots of lubricant
3- wash again.. this time dry
4- 1 coat of sealent, give 1-2 hours to dry, wait 12 hours for next step
5- 2 coats of wax

To me, it seems like Carnauba is the way to go for you but what do I know

Big Turkey-I'll have to see when the Souveran comes in. I am tired of the Zaino look and kind of miss the rich deep look of a Nuba rather than a sealent. I know that Souveran according to some, is very good at attracting dust, other than that I have never heard of anyone having the above problems.

It was recommended to me by a respectable member on Autopia to try and haze the panel with your breath before applying a coat. I've also been told about spin shining too, but what I'm gonna do is spray down each panel with clean water out of a sprayer of some sort (very lightly) than apply the wax.

It doesn't hurt to try.

Quick Reply: Advice for detailing the Camaro