Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Washed, Waxed, Washed again.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washed, Waxed, Washed again.

As the title says I washed, Waxed, and washed again. My car came out looking good but not good enough for me. I want to get rid of the swirls and whatnot. What can I use that can be bought at autozone or Advance that can get rid of those damn swirls?

Here's how it looked afterwords. Looks nice and shiny but the swirls drive me nuts.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmmm...some off-the-shelf products you can get to get rid of those swirls would be : Megs Ultimate Compound, Megs Cleaner Carnauba Wax, Scratch X (for the door handles), two 5 gallon buckets from home depot (in case you're not using the two bucket method...one for rinsing, one for soaking in the soap) and a DA buffer? I personally wouldn't even bother w/ most of the stuff in local stores. I would contact Steve from ShowroomFX and buy your first starter kit (m105/m205, porter cable, pads, etc. It's only like $120 or somewhere near that price and it will totally get rid of your swirls. Also, go to autogeek.net and check out their do it yourself videos to learn how to use the machine or how to approach different swirl removing situations and what not.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do swirl removal by hand but it's not very easy. A bottle of Swirl X, Foam applicators. Put some on the car, thinish layer. Then forward and back wards, circular, and alternate. It will come out but you need a light behind it to inspect it.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
You can do swirl removal by hand but it's not very easy. A bottle of Swirl X, Foam applicators. Put some on the car, thinish layer. Then forward and back wards, circular, and alternate. It will come out but you need a light behind it to inspect it.
That doesn't sound like fun. My 16 year old paint job is full of swirls. Seems like that would take all day? Hmmmm.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

do what TAJ said
Old 05-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Speaking from having car , I use

- Meguiars -
DEEP CRYSTALŽ SYSTEM POLISH
SWIRLX
GOLD CLASS™ LIQUID WAX
ONLY USE Micro Fiber Towels and Shammys.

Then just follow up with Ice Spray Wax day after day. Next time you wash your car dont put alot of soap cause soap is what eats off the wax / polish . Red is my fav. color and is very easy to take care of.

Good Luck
Old 05-20-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ If you're using Ice Spray Wax then yeah washing your car will yield for you to wax your car again, because that **** doesn't last for.......****? The heat threshold is like 100* for Ice (turtlewax) products and after a day or two in the sun the car will not sheet water or even bead water for that matter. The true way to get rid of swirls and to prevent them from showing up in the near future is to just do it right the first time and lay down a quality carnauba/paint sealant. Just spend the extra $50-70 and get a beginners kit, you won't regret it (that's something you can't say about off the shelf products).
Old 05-20-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

You will need something like the Porter Cable, pads and the right product to remove the swirls. I use the PC with the orange pad and the combo of M105/205 followed by a coat of polish/wax. Even with the PC it will take some time. You will not get the desired effects doing it by hand. Where are you located? I stock the products I use and can show you how they work if your close.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:27 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Endersshadow
That doesn't sound like fun. My 16 year old paint job is full of swirls. Seems like that would take all day? Hmmmm.
Yep, very time intensive.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Just man up and buy a PC with all the goodies. For $200 you can get the PC, all the polishes, and a couple microfiber towels and never deal with swirls again!

Quick Reply: Washed, Waxed, Washed again.