Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Some VHT Action

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some VHT Action

So, decided to do VHT on both corner and rear markers over the weekend. Tried doing the taillights too but I went rediculously dark and had to start over on them. Here's some pics of the corners and the rear sides. I'll post up some pics of the taillights when I finish with them. Let me know what you guys think, too dark too light? Also, should I take the time and effort to wetsand/buff to that glassy gloss finish?

Last edited by DukesOfHazard; 05-24-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good darkness, but those rears orange peeled bad. Did you use any clear?
Old 05-24-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, three coats I think. I don't have any experience with spray paint, literally... so I was just kind of winging it. My coats were WAY too heavy on the rears. When I do my taillights again I'm going to use lacquer thinner on the rears and start over. Got too dark when I was doing it the other day and absolutely had to take the car home so I just rolled with it.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

I love VHT
Old 05-26-2010, 03:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 on VHT!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

looks like you used a flat clear. There is no way you have gloss clear on those.. Here is mine with 3 coats of clear, you can see a major difference. You can just wet sand the orange peel.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll have to check tonight. It's I think Duplicolor Perfect Match clear coat. Didnt' even think to check for gloss or not. I was planning on wetsanding and buffing to the glass look again anyway but am in need of a buffer atm. Yours look really nice. I'll post pics of the taillights here in a minute. Finished them last night.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

any time i vht some thing i allways clear them then give them a wet sand and buff or they just dont look good and if your not that good with a spray can they they could look uneven and blotchy.

it also looks like it went on way to heave so try to lighten up the coats thats the trick to vht.

here is a cell pic i took(got to do a pro shoot soon)they tail where vht'ed and about 3 medium coats of clear then sanded with 1500 then2k then buffed.
Attached Thumbnails Some VHT Action-tails1.jpg  
Old 05-26-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Last edited by DukesOfHazard; 05-27-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Top picture looks a little weird on the right taillight. Looks a heck of a lot better in person.

These were done yesterday. The opening pics were my first attempt at VHT. These look a helluva lot better in person. i'll take some better pics (non cell) when I get home. I went a LOT lighter on these coats and it turned out a crap ton better.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Threw these inserts on today.

Gunna get the ones from emblempros.com soon.... got these as a gift so I figured it couldn't hurt.

Last edited by DukesOfHazard; 05-27-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SOMSS1LE
looks like you used a flat clear. There is no way you have gloss clear on those.. Here is mine with 3 coats of clear, you can see a major difference. You can just wet sand the orange peel.

Here's a pic of the clear coat that I got. Says it's a high gloss, it's probably me just sucking with spray paint.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmm, only other thing I can think of is you didn't put it on in even coats and kind of blotch sprayed it OR the clear was almost dry before it hit the surface of the parts. Due to humidity, temp etc.. what where your painting conditions?
Old 05-26-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hot as ***** honestly. Like 90 degrees and high 70s for humidity I think. I was afraid of it running so I might not have went thick enough with the clear. I have enough vht and clear to redo em if need be
Old 05-26-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DukesOfHazard
Hot as ***** honestly. Like 90 degrees and high 70s for humidity I think. I was afraid of it running so I might not have went thick enough with the clear. I have enough vht and clear to redo em if need be
yea man that's your problem then. The clear is drying before it's hitting your parts, therefore making it really blotchy looking like you see in your pics.. It almost gives you an overspray type effect.. You need to paint those in cooler temps, with less humidity.. Wait for it to be cooler outside and less humidity or do it in your garage that's cooled by a fan for awhile. Then turn the fan off so you don't have debris flying all over the place and clear quickly, coats should dry quickly. Wait like 15 minutes, then do another one.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Gay, :-( guess I'll wait for it to cool off and redo em. Should I use lacquer thinner and completely start over or just sand down a coat or two of clear and redo the clear. I'd rather not start completely over but I'd rather have it look right more lol
Old 05-26-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

stuff looks bad man. get that clear on THINK. do it inside if you have to. shouldnt be that messy just spray some fabreeze lol
Old 05-27-2010, 08:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I'm going to redo them. I see it as a learning experience so all is well. I appreciate the feedback, good and bad. Honestly the pictures don't do it justice though but when do they right?

So, my question to you guys now is, do I need to completely sand everything off the lights? Or just use some lacquer thinner and take EVERYTHING off and start over or just sand a coat or two of the clear off and reclear it?
Old 05-27-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone know if I should get the lights completely back to stock and then start over or should I just sand off a layer or two of clear and start from there?
Old 05-27-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DukesOfHazard
Anyone know if I should get the lights completely back to stock and then start over or should I just sand off a layer or two of clear and start from there?
Just wet sand them down and do 1 or 2 coats of VHT. Let that dry well, then do 3 coats of clear.

Quick Reply: Some VHT Action