Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Red light in door

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 01:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Red light in door

What kind of bulb do they use for the red light in the door. Both mine are burnt out and id like to fix them. Is it a standard bulb i can find at a auto parts store or is there some special kind of led?

I dont want to have to take my door apart twice or have it sitting till i find the right bulb.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's not an LED, just a regular bulb. I believe it's bulb #74 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Also, you don't need to remove the entire door panel, just unscrew the bezel around the door handle and you should be able to get the bulb out.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah the it's #74
Old 06-08-2010, 03:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I just went and spliced in a red LED. OMG! So much brighter! Very pleasing.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thecobrahunter
Yeah, I just went and spliced in a red LED. OMG! So much brighter! Very pleasing.

That looks great . . . I swapped to the 74 LED and wasn't too impressed, I want to splice in a led just like you did.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Teching In

I did blue and love the way it looks with leds
Attached Thumbnails Red light in door-dscn0293-2-.jpg   Red light in door-dscn0295.jpg  

Last edited by kipp1692; 06-08-2010 at 11:17 PM. Reason: pic
Old 06-10-2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by kipp1692
I did blue and love the way it looks with leds
kipp where did u find the lights at...im having a RIDICULOUS time finding an LED light that small and before i started this i thought it was a common thing lol.... also did u just cut the wires, splice it, take the red cover out and mount it?
Old 06-12-2010, 01:49 AM
Teching In

deezy i got leds from superbrightleds #74 wedge based bulb they are direct plug and play no splicing the only thing is if its a trans am the place where the bulb twist locks into on the back of the door has a piece of red opaque plastic in it you will have to remove this pita! otherwise your blue will not show through.
another option is go to autozone they have blue led already with the resistor in them cut. cut the twist lock wiring out wire the led up (If i remember right the grey wire is ground BUT DONT QUOTE ME CHECK). the cut out the plastic holder on the back of the door panel. where the old bulb use to lock into. what you should be left with is a small square hole. your leds should have came with a small black plastic led holder if not you can find them at radio shack. drill out the small hole install led and led holder then your done. hope this helps lemme know if ya have any questions.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just wish the switches were backlit instead.

My bulbs are blown but I don't really care. Seems to me the bright light shining on the switches would be annoying at night.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

How do you splice in the brighter lights?
Old 06-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Teching In

they can be a bit bright at times. but i guess im just use to it now. you could always solder in a resistor to dim it outto your preference. and to the other question. If you use the led from superbright its just plug n play if you get the ones from autozone its just two wires and two wires going to the stock light just cut find th hot wire and splice i soldered but whatever will work
Old 06-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Im thinking of adding an extra led light to each door switch area. Im thinking splicing would be a great option?
Old 06-13-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually, the red lights aren't as bright as one might think from the pictures. These pics were at night with the garage door closed, and the lights off. In no way are they bothersome. I basically just drilled a hole through the stock opening (just wide enough for the LED bulbs) in the bezels that went all the way through and then used some silicone sealant to glue them in place. To make the LED lights not so focused, I just sanded down the rounded tips so that they were flat; spreads out the lighting.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Teching In

^^^ I've heard that works really well too.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

Actually, the red lights aren't as bright as one might think from the pictures. These pics were at night with the garage door closed, and the lights off. In no way are they bothersome. I basically just drilled a hole through the stock opening (just wide enough for the LED bulbs) in the bezels that went all the way through and then used some silicone sealant to glue them in place. To make the LED lights not so focused, I just sanded down the rounded tips so that they were flat; spreads out the lighting.
Nice post, but what is required to splice them into place?
Old 06-14-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice post, but what is required to splice them into place?
Well, I just cut off the wiring for the stock bulbs just below the bulb assembly, soldered in the wiring for the new LED, inserted the LEDs in the holes I drilled, and then used the silicone to keep the bulbs in place. Pretty simple, and have had no problems with them what-so-ever.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Teching In

^^^^^ just like he said. If soldering isnt your cup o tea, you can always use butt conectors i would just recomend using the ones with the shrink tube around them for a water proof seal. they also make butt conectors with low temp solder inside of them as well as having shrink tube. so when you heat it up to shrink the tube you also melt the solder. lil more expensive but very nice.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

I Put some LED lights on the AC Controls too but for some reason they're not coming on at all. I know the fuse isn't blown at all. What do i need to do?
Old 06-15-2010, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by firebirdmo
I Put some LED lights on the AC Controls too but for some reason they're not coming on at all. I know the fuse isn't blown at all. What do i need to do?
Then you need to make sure that you don't have the (+) and (-) mixed. Otherwise you have a loose wire.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

How did you do the blue lights by the way?

Quick Reply: Red light in door