Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is this an LT1 SS hood?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this an LT1 SS hood?

First of all, are the 93-97 and 98-02 Camaro hoods the same size? I'm not very familiar with the body part differences in them, but I kind of assume they are different, but it may just be because the front is different?

Anyway, this guy is advertising this SS hood as a 93-02 and if they are all the same size, is the only difference the LT1 SS hoods are flat on the sides whereas the LS1 style have the lines going up them off the headlights?

If that is true, then this appears to be an LT1 style:
http://images.craigslist.org/3ka3m23...966073192a.jpg

Thanks for any input.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

that is a 98-02 hood, the headlight area is the tell tale sign.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

that actually looks like a 93-97 hood with a 98-02 ss scoop. the 93-97 scoop is wider/flatter (correct me if i'm wrong here). but that hood is definitely appears to be made to fit 93-97 cars

Last edited by crimson_bird; 06-14-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Veteran

you can be sure by asking the maker- its a ebay hood from Hoods4sale. the hood in the picture in your link is sitting on the same table as all of that sellers hoods..

98-02 hood http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fiber...#ht_512wt_1165

93-97 hood http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fiber...#ht_500wt_1165

you can see the difference where the headlights would be. 93-97 is straight across, the 98-02 has the 2 flares. the one you posted is straight.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Yea, that's an LS1 styled SS hood that fits an LT1.

LT1 SS Hood

LS1 SS Hood
Old 06-15-2010, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

I didn't figure that was his own picture. He pictured an LS1 SS car in another picture. I'm just hoping the picture I posted is what it actually looks like. I tried calling him with no answer. My friend just bought a hood from him so I know he's legit. He needs a camera.

Edit: Just realized the phone number is the same for the Craigslist listing and the hood4sale user on eBay. His prices are higher on Craigslist for some reason. The SS hoods are listed 93-97 and 98-02 on eBay as well.

Last edited by razorguy; 06-15-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:57 AM
TECH Veteran

thats odd that his prices are higher on CL than ebay. most people do higher prices for ebay than elsewhere, since ebay fees can get way out of hand.

does his CL add include shipping fees? that may be the reason for the higher price
Old 06-15-2010, 04:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would say it is the LT hood...check the corners over the headlights they are straight..
Old 06-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

same hood that I have on my LT1. It's made by Tru-Fiber called the V2
Old 06-16-2010, 02:47 AM
TECH Regular

DO NOT buy that hood. That company is based in Cleveland and has changed their name and ebay name multiple times to get away from negative feedback. There was a big deal a while back about the layers in the hood separating while driving and the fitment is supposed to be horrible. Also apparently the people are very mean if you have a problem with the hood. The company pads their feedback by selling coins and if you look at the feedback they get for their hoods its horrible.

Your best bet is to find an OEM hood off a crashed car.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:30 AM
TECH Veteran

this hoods4sale stuff is getting old... you just pulled all of that from... a post from a competing seller. and that entire complaint, is based off issues in one single thread on some other website, from 2003... 7 years ago...

and lets not talk about their feedback unless you've thoroughly gone through it, which i doubt you have, and you're probably just going off what you heard... once again, from a competing seller. The times that i checked their feedback, doing very in depth reading through the feedback pages, i found like 2 negatives, both from buyers that had like 0 feedback themselves (the worst people you can deal with on ebay as a seller), and they were just complaining over nonsense, not even related to the product/quality. Yes, they do have a **** ton of feedback from those damn coins, and that is a bit annoying, but that doesnt take away from the fact that they sell a ridiculous amount of car stuff as well. It just makes it harder to browse the feedback, but if you're really familiar with ebay, that shouldn't be too hard either.

I have spoken with the seller several times and they have always been very professional. I also have/had 2 cars with hoods from them. My trans am currently has a ws6 hood from them, and my camaro had the sunoco style hood. both were great, no issues with quality, no issues with fitment, was lined up great when i picked the cars up from the shop after getting fitting/installed/painted.

But, i do agree with you about buying OEM, thats always the best option, (unless you're looking to reduce weight), or also some of the more popular/reputable companies... vfn, trufiber, suncoast, etc...

razorguy, please dont confuse my post with suggesting you to buy from them, I'm not... thats your decision. I just get tired of hearing the same repeated claims over and over... when practically no one here has any personal experience with them, and those here that i know of that have bought there, have been happy with the product/price.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:17 AM
TECH Regular

I'm glad you had a great experience with those guys. I just don't understand why they would need to change their name if they stood behind their products however. I have thoroughly gone through their feedback. What worried me is the feedback they had on their old ebay name. That feedback was horrible and specifically commented on how the hoods fit badly. Those comments were not about little things but in fact were about the poor fitment. I spoke with them as well and they were nice to me too. I researched this before since I was seriously considering buying a 93-97 ram air hood from them. I will have to look around to find them again on other F-body forums but there are multiple cases where this company by at least 3 different names has been complained about. And I remember looking up thier BBB rating a year ago under the other name. What was their old name I cant remember. Cleveland auto or something?

To the OP, from what I have heard, the hoods fitting is marginal out of the box. It needs a decent amount of work to fit properly. This is not what I would expect buying an aftermarket hood.

Its good that crimson bird has had good experiences with them. How much work did your body shop have to do to fit and prep before paint?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Hmm..I haven't looked into it much, a friend of mine is going to buy a hood from them for his third gen and brought it to my attention they had an SS hood as well for my car. We are going to be driving to pick them up if we end up getting them. I'll try to investigate a little more before we make the two hour trip though.

Weird that they are based out of Cleveland and have the hoods in Cincinnati..
Old 06-19-2010, 05:38 AM
TECH Regular

Thats where it was! Cincinnati I meant. I remembered it was a C place in Ohio.
Anyway I found out what the company USED to be called. LIBERTY FIBERGLASS.

Its undoubtedly the same guys, I remember it now. And here is their Better Business Bureau site. They got an F for 7 complaints and 2 unresponded complaints. It shows they are based in Cincinnati

http://www.bbb.org/cincinnati/busine...i-oh-10005372/

For all I know, the company may be under new management and is better about their business. But there's been 3 claims in the past year from them.

Lastly, look at this thread about a 3rd gen hood from them: http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/af...-teh-suck.html

Just putting the info out there. This is not some hearsay I just heard way back when and am perpetuating without reason or support as crimson bird may believe. I'm all about saving money when I can but even my cheap self steered away from this hood. Be very thorough in checking fitment and dealing with them if you decide to.

Hope you find the hood you're lookin for

Last edited by rbaksi; 06-19-2010 at 05:47 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

thank you for actually posting up 1st hand stuff. it does help inform people, which i'm all about.

I read through that thread, and i really can't just side either way. on the one hand, you can take everything he said, without giving anything a second thought, and write the company off as a bad comany, and thats 100% reasonable. He definitely did get a bad fitting hood, no doubt about it, along with a couple other issues.. So as a person reading this, thats definitely a good reason not to buy from the company. Thats a very rational decision.

but on the other hand, you can try to think about some of the things in different ways. --Like several there said, you should never by a part like this online, get it, and let it sit around for months on end, without test fitting, and checking for any issues. thats a quick way to lose any chance at an exchange/refund. And then when you finally do start working with it, and you realize certain things are not fitting right, you decide to start pulling parts off you car, and modifying the car, and the hood, to get it to fit. So now that you've modified the hood, now there's 100% no chance of getting a refund... bad decision making so far.
--I'm not sure what the "rain tray" is, but i know certain after market hoods will not fit the same way as the stock hood did--for instance, the 98-02 SS hoods and WS6 hoods have issues with several different air lids, and you'll hear many people complain about this like its the hood's fault. And, some cowl hoods do not allow you to lift up your windshield wipers any more, or not use them at all. I know with the cowl on my camaro's hood, i could not lift the pass. side windshield wiper all the way up, it could only go like half way before hitting the hood because of the way the cowl extended. These are normal things that may happen when buying aftermarket items with different designs.
--With the paint prep stuff, thats another iffy subject. everyone feels they have the best body guy who know everything there is to know, so there will always be a bias there. Who knows what his shop actually did with it, or how good his prep was. All i know is that i don't have paint popping/chipping off my hood and mine looks normal.

The one fitment problem my camaro's hood had, was that it ran slightly farther back then it should have at the corners, nearest the windshield where it meets the fenders. I could have sent it back, but my body guy said it was no issue and he easily trimmed it to fit... it was just a tad too long (less than in inch) at those 2 points. other than that, no issues with the camaro's hood, and none with the t/a's.

I'm also not one to believe that i'm going to get the same exact quality from a $200 hood, when 90% of the after market hoods, are $6-700... luckily, it just so happened that my hood's weren't complete pieces of crap, and they actually look great and I couldn't be happier

In the end though, it comes down to what you want, and are able to obtain. if you can afford the other hoods, why not go for them? i would... but i'm a broke college kid who can appreciate a bargain. the way i thought about it from the get-go, is, if i can get this hood, at around $250, as long as the body shop can get it installed/fitted right and prepped (not painted, just prepped), for less than $350, then it was worth it, because at that point it still cost's less than the other hoods, before adding any money for shipping/fitting/install/prep/paint, add all that to the base $6-700 price of the hood and you get something i dont find worth it for the money i work for, and actually have to spend. I don't have a career with good money flowing in... At least not now... I spent like 500 to get mine fitted/installed/painted, so added to the hood/shipping my total was like 8-900.

But this is all just my personal case though.

Last edited by crimson_bird; 06-19-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Default Hood

hey razor guy ... alert . dont buy a hood from hood 4 sale. aka liberty
fiberglass . they are total **** ." dont get me started " . the company
was rated F by the ohio BBB .for poor customer service .
Old 07-17-2010, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 1st hand experience with their products and customer service . Both
are total **** !!! Stay AWAY from hood4sale !!!
Old 07-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Default hood 4 sale

had bad experience with them last year over a hood they sold me too .
terrible customer service inferior product . .. stay away . tossed hood in dumpster .
Old 07-18-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Yea, my cousin is having the get law involved with these guys over their lack of customer service. The hood arrived and the bolt holes were in the wrong place. The guy said he would send out another if we sent back the one we got. We did and never received another hood. My cousin asked him to just refund the money, he said he would but he never has. He went ahead and turned it over to his lawyer now.

Quick Reply: Is this an LT1 SS hood?