Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fixed floppy Camaro passenger air vent (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Fixed floppy Camaro passenger air vent (pic)

It's a very minor thing, but... You know how the passenger side air vent on some Camaros can be easily and loosely pulled out on the passenger side, and angled towards the driver? They're not supposed to do that. What happens is one of the pivot points inside the vent breaks and the vent wants to pop out. My friend was looking for a new one because his was broken in this manner. I found an unbroken one in my parts collection and was ecstatic. Then, I popped the vent out to clean it and the pivot point broke and the plastic chunk disappeared . So, I decided to "fix" it, and this is what I came up with. I also did the !HS mod to the drivers side vent.
  1. Found a hardwood chopstick type piece of wood in the correct diameter as the broken pivot point, since I couldn't find any plastic that size/shape that could be sacrificed
  2. Used a micro-table-saw to cut a tiny slice from the chopstick-like piece of wood (you could probably use an x-acto knife)
  3. Used an X-acto knife/cutting board to cut the slice in half to replace the missing piece of the pivot point
  4. Put a dab of Zap-A-Gap super glue (any plastic compatible super glue should work) on a paper towel, picked up the half-slice using tweezers, touched the half-slice to the super glue puddle, and then placed the slice w/glue in the missing pivot point location.
  5. Used a small dab of Zip Kicker with a fine paint brush to speed up the bonding process
  6. Colored the piece of wood with a Sharpie to make it blend in better. If it is noticeably bad then it can always be painted.
Before Sharpie
Old 06-25-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be trying this soon, thanks Lee, now I have two sets to try on lol.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has been broken since I bought the car I just tell people not to move it... but I'll be doing this when I get a chance. The center vent I broke a few weeks ago when I painted some interior pieces I just jammed some double sided tape in there for now so I don't have to look at a droopy vent
Old 06-26-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lee, you are a genius.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
I will be trying this soon, thanks Lee, now I have two sets to try on lol.
Let me know how that piece works out for you.

Originally Posted by camarox302
Mine has been broken since I bought the car I just tell people not to move it... but I'll be doing this when I get a chance. The center vent I broke a few weeks ago when I painted some interior pieces I just jammed some double sided tape in there for now so I don't have to look at a droopy vent
Let me know how it goes. Remember, the diameter of the peg is key, as the pegs are larger on one side than the other.

Originally Posted by TireSm0ke
Lee, you are a genius.
lol... I wish I was, then I probably wouldn't be spending my time creating "fixes" for a car that I don't even drive.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

thanks, will be doing this today.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

thank goodness someone figured out about this cause mine and the gf's camaro has this problem and i do the same thing about tellin people not to move it lol but i didnt realize i could go get chinese and parts to fix my car with all at the same place lol haha
Old 06-29-2010, 05:07 PM
12 Second Club

The cheap balsa wood chopsticks are probably too soft to be used, but hard-wood chopsticks like those found at Asian markets would probably work best. Alternatively you could buy a length of pre-cut wood from a hobby/model shop (or maybe an arts/crafts type store) or something else in the proper diameter and then cut it down to size. That is what I used for mine.

Quick Reply: Fixed floppy Camaro passenger air vent (pic)