Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shaker Air Box for Shaker Scoop OR Cowl Induction hoods...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Shaker Air Box for Shaker Scoop OR Cowl Induction hoods...

EDIT: Pics and ordering page is up...

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=214

Original post... Well, we're about a day away from having our first FINISHED Shaker Air Box for LSX motors...

Since it is a TRUE SHAKER (mounts to the engine) it will actually work right now for almost any LS1 car (F-Bodies FOR SURE, testing GTOs and Vettes) and with a change of a bracket can work on any LSX car.

It is designed with a 100mm opening to not slow any of you big dogs down but can also come with a stock 75mm opening (that is 4" and 3.5").

It uses your FACTORY air filter and will come RAW or powder coated flat black (custom colors also available). Yes, if you want a shaker you have to cut your own hood...

Finished version will be sold as:

1) Just the air box and piping (to be used on any LSx cars). This way you can put whatever style shaker you want on it OR just use it with a WS6/Cowl/Sunoco/etc.. style hood.

2) Air box and radiator shroud (to delete the factory piece with a nice finished version sans the opening).

3) Air box and Shaker Scoop (77-78 Trans-Am style in fiberglass or Carbon Fiber as seen in the pics).

4) Air box, Shaker Scoop and Radiator Shroud for a finished full kit.

I HAVE NO PRICING INFO YET but will update this thread as soon as I do.

Here's some pics BUT THEY ARE JUST PRODUCTION PICS (nothing nice and finished until the end of the week)...

Here you see the bracket you attach to the intake with two bolts...

...attached to the two FACTORY bolts...

Here was our piping test, had to order elbows 1" shorter (on each end) that these in the pics...

If you look inside the box you can see the two bolts you use to bolt the box itself to the bracket that you bolted to the intake...

Here's the airbox mounted by itself (no scoop on it) WITH the smaller elbows so all fits PERFECT...

Hood closes, elbows line up to throttle body, have space for MAF and then turn into the bottom of the air box and connect to a piece of 4" piping protruding from it. Also a place to plug in your factory IAT sensor AND it clears the belt !!!

Took a LONG time to get to the point of having a clean design but we fell we succeeded. Pics of finished air box (sans the radiator cover delete) and pricing by Friday.

Thoughts?

Last edited by 6LITEREATER; 07-18-2010 at 05:32 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

depending on the price, i might consider. i still have my camaro's old hood lying around, and nothing to do with it.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i think its pretty sweet. and honestly it looks pretty simple, but i know its must have been a bi*** trying to get everything to fit perfect. You did an awesome job.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how about airflow/restriction?
Old 06-29-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought you guys were out of the f-body scene??? Business wise???
Old 06-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 69lemansguy
i think its pretty sweet. and honestly it looks pretty simple, but i know its must have been a bi*** trying to get everything to fit perfect. You did an awesome job.
You are correct . Getting something to look simple is WAY harder than you think !!!

Also, the BIGGEST challenge is the fact that a shaker is supposed to sit on top of the engine BUT half of our engine is under the cowl...

Last edited by 6LITEREATER; 06-29-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cookba
how about airflow/restriction?
100mm opening and a damn near straight shot to the filter, I don't see any restrictions but I'll try to dyno eventually...
Old 06-29-2010, 08:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
I thought you guys were out of the f-body scene??? Business wise???
Yup, we're coming to a close but as said in the first thread (about ending it all) I'm making sure anything we were in the process of making gets made...
Old 06-29-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
100mm opening and a damn near straight shot to the filter, I don't see any restrictions but I'll try to dyno eventually...
FWIW ill be running this on my new ls2 402 stroker (ls3 heads/intake, 95mm TB, 100mm maf)... Ill be sure to get some dyno numbers after Im rockin one

That CF scoop really is badass.

Any pics of how the scoop attaches to the box? The 2 bolt setup is just intake to mount and mount to box right?

EDIT: black elbows??
Old 06-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Irish350
FWIW ill be running this on my new ls2 402 stroker (ls3 heads/intake, 95mm TB, 100mm maf)... Ill be sure to get some dyno numbers after Im rockin one

That CF scoop really is badass.

Any pics of how the scoop attaches to the box? The 2 bolt setup is just intake to mount and mount to box right?

EDIT: black elbows??

Yup, two bolts are just intake to bracket and then another two bolts for bracket to box.

We're making a trim plate as well so when all said and done there will be four stainless allen head bolts that bolt the shaker and trim plate (trim plate is what causes tight seal for air filter to the box) to the box
Old 06-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Banned

ok this has my interest. Might just have to ditch my new clear FTP lid. HAHA. seriously this would look/work great under my Sunoco hood!
Old 06-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Banned

ok this has my interest. Might just have to ditch my new clear FTP lid. HAHA. seriously this would look/work great under my Sunoco hood!
Fit my Sunoco perfectly

I wish I had a clue on price for you guys though... Elbows alone COST me $75... Trying to find a better supplier. Waiting on my fab guy on cost of box but there is a LOT of time in it (water jets pieces and then welds and assembles).
Old 06-29-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Yup, two bolts are just intake to bracket and then another two bolts for bracket to box.

We're making a trim plate as well so when all said and done there will be four stainless allen head bolts that bolt the shaker and trim plate (trim plate is what causes tight seal for air filter to the box) to the box
Damn... and a stainless trim piece, a man after my heart.

Did you track down the elbow guys, and if so, can we do those in black silicone?

Thats what i was gonna do instead of this .

Pretty awesome how the TSP 100mm maf fits right in there.

Is the back of the sunoco open? thatd be badass
Old 06-29-2010, 11:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks cool. The only thing that concerns me is how the filter is backwards. Now, before you call me an idiot and that the filter flows both ways, consider the proper method of cleaning a re-usable filter. The debris in this setup would enter the filter and get stuck in pockets created by the rubber filter seal because you cannot bend the filter the proper way to provide a gap and flush all that crap out (solution is to switch to paper filters??). Also, what provides pressure to push the filter onto the mounting plate to provide an even seal?
Old 06-30-2010, 01:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Irish350
Damn... and a stainless trim piece, a man after my heart.

Did you track down the elbow guys, and if so, can we do those in black silicone?

Thats what i was gonna do instead of this .

Pretty awesome how the TSP 100mm maf fits right in there.

Is the back of the sunoco open? thatd be badass
Back of the Sunoco IS open and I WILL be running this **** myself as well

I contacted the guys I bought from and asked for black, we'll see what they say. You can't see the elbows AT ALL when it is all installed though.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Looks cool. The only thing that concerns me is how the filter is backwards.
Honestly, I totally wasn't thinking about that. In my mind it was dropping in the same was as stock... Now that I realize it's not, let's think about it...

Now, before you call me an idiot and that the filter flows both ways, consider the proper method of cleaning a re-usable filter.
The reason you clean a filter one way or the other has NOTHING to do with filter design, it just has to do with which side has the dirt on it. You would just use a NEW filter on this and clean it from the proper side...

The debris in this setup would enter the filter and get stuck in pockets created by the rubber filter seal because you cannot bend the filter the proper way to provide a gap and flush all that crap out (solution is to switch to paper filters??).
Not following you here... Filter bends both ways for me. Also, the rubber seal will actually be completely covered in metal in my setup if that makes a difference...

Also, what provides pressure to push the filter onto the mounting plate to provide an even seal?
The answer to this is also what will save me if it does have to be flipped... ON A FINAL NOTE, (only in caps to draw attention to a solution) if for some reason we do have to flip the filter it is not a problem at all... The final trim piece that sandwiches the filter on has the same size opening so you can easily turn the filter upside down, slip the trim plate over it and hold it firmly in place.

Thanks for pointing this out Lee... By the way, I dropped your project off today for pricing

EDIT: Happen to have your stock hood ?
Old 06-30-2010, 01:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll show you the filter bending thing on Wednesday at Johns thing if you're going, or Friday if you're going. The extra trim piece that sandwiches the filter in is a great idea. You just need to figure out if it mounts to the box, the scoop, or both. Oh, and thanks for dropping it off.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:26 AM
Banned

I'll show you the filter bending thing on Wednesday at Johns thing if you're going, or Friday if you're going. The extra trim piece that sandwiches the filter in is a great idea. You just need to figure out if it mounts to the box, the scoop, or both. Oh, and thanks for dropping it off.
It will have nuts on the box and bolts that go through shaker scoop, then trim piece then tighten to nuts on the box...
Old 06-30-2010, 10:08 AM
12 Second Club

Jesus. thats pretty ****. so are you going just leave that under the sunoco hood? if so, i dont see how its a shaker if its not exposed out of the hood?
Old 06-30-2010, 01:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99_Z_155
Jesus. thats pretty ****. so are you going just leave that under the sunoco hood? if so, i dont see how its a shaker if its not exposed out of the hood?
It's a true "shaker" because it is ONLY attached to the engine (recent "shakers" like the one GMPD made for the 2003 Heritage don't shake because they are anchored to parts of the frame) however, of course to see it shake you need a shaker scoop and hood.

My only point is you can also use just this air box as a great set up for a cowl hood. Just like the 96-97 SS cars EXCEPT our box is aluminum and shouldn't get heat soaked...

Quick Reply: Shaker Air Box for Shaker Scoop OR Cowl Induction hoods...