Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Shaker Air Box for Shaker Scoop OR Cowl Induction hoods...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice job on the everything. I'm assuming that the end-user will be responsible for cutting the hood?

I plan on doing my shaker project this weekend. I'm definitely interested in picking up the base part. (The one that mounts to the fuel rail bolts) That would make my life much easier on my endeavor. I'm looking forward to seeing your final product when this is done.

-Chris
Old 06-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by white2001formula
Very nice job on the everything. I'm assuming that the end-user will be responsible for cutting the hood?

I plan on doing my shaker project this weekend. I'm definitely interested in picking up the base part. (The one that mounts to the fuel rail bolts) That would make my life much easier on my endeavor. I'm looking forward to seeing your final product when this is done.

-Chris
Let me know if you want any measurements of where it sits so you know where to position your scoop...
Old 06-30-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I appreciate that! I'm going pretty much the same route as you chose for mounting points. I had the exact same idea of using the fuel rail bolts. I'm doing the cut first, then mounting second. That box is awesome, and it is thinner that what I expected. I figured there would be more room.

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Let me know if you want any measurements of where it sits so you know where to position your scoop...
Old 06-30-2010, 02:55 PM
Banned

I appreciate that! I'm going pretty much the same route as you chose for mounting points. I had the exact same idea of using the fuel rail bolts. I'm doing the cut first, then mounting second. That box is awesome, and it is thinner that what I expected. I figured there would be more room.
What style scoop did you go with?
Old 06-30-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I chose a 1972 hood scoop that I purchased a few years ago. (That's what it was listed on Ebay) I like these better than the later 70's scoops. I believe they are the same from 70-76 from what I've researched before.

What style scoop did you go with?
Old 06-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Banned

I chose a 1972 hood scoop that I purchased a few years ago. (That's what it was listed on Ebay) I like these better than the later 70's scoops. I believe they are the same from 70-76 from what I've researched before.
Cool, I thought about those as well. JC Whitney has them for $110...
Old 06-30-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like the idea, but on a car like yours with the cowl hood could you make a plate that actually sealed the large lower aluminum plate to the hood when its shut and use the cowl of the hood as the intake.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

This is great news. I want to purchase a compelete kit, however, I am wondering how you prevent water/snow from entering through the shaker? I use my car as a daily driver so not driving it in the rain is not an option. It will be out in the downpours and blizzards and needs to be completely reliable in those conditions. Will this system in any way affect the driveability of a vehicle it's installed on during these conditions?
Old 06-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 02gtp4now
i like the idea, but on a car like yours with the cowl hood could you make a plate that actually sealed the large lower aluminum plate to the hood when its shut and use the cowl of the hood as the intake.
Already does that basically because of how big the box is...
Old 06-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chief762x39
This is great news. I want to purchase a compelete kit, however, I am wondering how you prevent water/snow from entering through the shaker? I use my car as a daily driver so not driving it in the rain is not an option. It will be out in the downpours and blizzards and needs to be completely reliable in those conditions. Will this system in any way affect the driveability of a vehicle it's installed on during these conditions?
You could just buy one of these kits to close the scoop...

http://pontiactransamshakers.homestead.com/

Can't be any different than driving a WS6 though... You could always add similar baffles.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm assuming that the end-user will be responsible for cutting the hood?
No I'm pretty sure 6LE will be making house calls with a sawzall.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:41 PM
12 Second Club

This is gonna be sweat, can't wait to see finished picks.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02gtp4now
In for finished pics. I might consider this for my cowl hood, LSx swap. I want to be able to pull as much air as possible through the cowl from the windshield.

I like that it uses a stock type filter.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Actually my scoop came equipped with one of those already. (250$ total for the Ebay purchase)

I also worked with the owner of that site. He sent me a traceout of a 1976 scoop, which matches the one that I bought. This was the final piece that I was waiting for. Really cool dude.

You could just buy one of these kits to close the scoop...

http://pontiactransamshakers.homestead.com/

Can't be any different than driving a WS6 though... You could always add similar baffles.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

I am very interested as well. Can't wait to see the production model! For any doubters out there, I can tell you there is a very significant induction affect off the windshield. I have been running a shaker for about 3-4 years now and while mine is not currently functional, I have seen leaves sucked into the scoop on many occasions.

As far as the scoop doors from http://pontiactransamshakers.homestead.com/ go, I am not sure how to connect them on 4th gens. I was thinking of some kind of linkage off the throttle. I like the idea of watching the door open and close along with the accelerator travel, but it will really need to stay wide open if it is the only source of intake.

The only drawback I see in this, or any functional airbox design, is that I have to delete my STB. I guess it is a small price to have the air coming in right. I am curious as to the volume coming in from the top vs. from the front. Was there any engineering done to calculate the volume of the airbox to meet the needs of the motor, or was it mostly whatever would fit between the fuel rails and under the hood?

I am getting a very satisfying shake with my scoop when I crank my engine, and a wonder torque to the right when I step on it! Even with a stock cam, I get a nice vibration at idle. I didn't anticipate as much action with the LS1 vs. 2nd gen motors, but it is fun to watch for sure.

Last edited by Raleigh TA; 07-02-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:46 AM
Banned

This setup is FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR superior to the stock intake setup. Believe it or not, our stock setups are one of the worst ever made (for a performance car).

Our lid sits RIGHT ON TOP OF ONE OF THE HOTTEST PARTS OF THE CAR, the radiator. And it is sandwiched by the hood (hot air rises and gets trapped right there heating up our lids and the neck of the lids).

I'll be excited to see some guys do back to back dynos with this and a stock setup to see gains...

The MOST gains would be for those who let us powdercoat the box white and use white hoses...
Old 07-05-2010, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Finished pics? Pics from the underside of the airbox?

Pics of the volume inside the airbox?

How does the 90* silicone tube connect/seal to your airbox?

Will it clear a STB?

Last edited by InsaneAuto86; 07-05-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why's it gotta be white hoses?
Old 07-05-2010, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish350
Why's it gotta be white hoses?
Obviously because he's racist. I'm sure if he could find black hoses at the right price, he would consider using them.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Obviously because he's racist. I'm sure if he could find black hoses at the right price, he would consider using them.
Right about the racism, wrong about the hose

The kits WILL HAVE BLACK HOSES (I'm not stupid, I know what people want)... HOWEVER if you really care about heat transfer then you'd let me use white hoses and powdercoat the air box white, white reflects heat.

The guys at CMJ have been doing this (plus one other little trick I will not be disclosing) and winning races for years.

Paint the bottom of your hood white as well. Actually, we were tossing around the idea the other day of doing another racing trick and making something for LSx motors that will cut down on the heat the manifolds/headers produce in the engine bay (not wrap or coating)...

Quick Reply: Shaker Air Box for Shaker Scoop OR Cowl Induction hoods...