Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

cleaning stainless/polished exhaust tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default cleaning stainless/polished exhaust tips

**I have a Blackberry and they're well known for taking shitty pics... I apologize in advance**

My first attempt at a DIY... and by-far the easiest and cheapest 'mod' I've ever done

items needed:
1) $3 can of oven cleaner
2) dirty exhaust tips
3) maybe an old toothbrush or small brush if your tips are REALLY dirty... I didnt need one
4) less than 15 minutes of your time

total cost - $3.00

**important** I discovered after a small drop splashed on my cheek that I'm allergic to oven cleaner or some ingredient in it. Looks like a 2lb mosquito on steroids stung me on the face. Please wear gloves and/or eye pro if you think you may react the same way

Step 1 - isolate your tips. luckily, I hadnt installed the used Borla system I purchased so I was able to put the tips on a piece of cardboard. If you clean 'em on your car, might want to mask off your bumper as the oven cleaner will probably strip your paint of its wax and/or sealant

Step 2 - soak 'em with oven cleaner. this stuff expands and foams up pretty heavily but dont be afraid to get all up in 'ere (LMAO)

Step 3 - walk away... seriously, go find something else to do. 10 minutes should suffice but I've left this stuff on another set of tips for 2 hours and they still came out looking fine. The side of the can says you can leave it on your oven overnight so a few minutes on your tips shouldnt hurt anything.

Step 4 - rinse. you may want to use a small brush or toothbrush to break up the crud but I didnt have to... nor did I have to on a 17yr pair of stock TA tips (pics below). The one on the left I ran under the faucet for about a minute... one on right is still soaking

Step 5 - enjoy. I sprayed mine with some windex and dried with an old shop rag... the oven cleaner takes off water spots, stains, etc so no polishing is needed.

Again, my Blackberry takes terrible pics but the tips are so clean, you can see the grain in the stainless

my 17yr old factory tips - oven cleaner, 10min, quick wipe down with a wet rag

Old 12-11-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm. Never really thought of that. I'm going to have to give this a try before I put my exhaust on since I still have half a can of over cleaner left..
Old 12-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then polish it up and your good to go
Old 12-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Captain Double Post

Its really a good write up ,gives ya for one clean exhaust pipes,and its the easiest way to clean before polishing,good write up,^still working on the over the axle pipe and other tail pipe,I traded the lm1 catback for a tsp x pipe with sweet thunders I thought I would give him a really nice clean exhaust instead of a dirty one
Old 12-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Captain Double Post

When ya get the borla on let us know how good it sounds,nice work though man not to many people care about lil details like this
Old 12-11-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
Its really a good write up ,gives ya for one clean exhaust pipes,and its the easiest way to clean before polishing,good write up,^still working on the over the axle pipe and other tail pipe,I traded the lm1 catback for a tsp x pipe with sweet thunders I thought I would give him a really nice clean exhaust instead of a dirty one
Whoa! You weren't kidding about that thing. Looks awesome!
Old 12-11-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I put the system on a coupla weekends ago - bone stock LT1. Now it sounds the way it was meant to. I have at least one or two people pull up next to me every day and tell me how much they like the sound - including a local cop in his squad car last Thurs
Old 12-11-2010, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Good work!

Thread from a couple weeks ago that I posted some pics and my method of polishing for the same tips...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...s-exhaust.html
Old 12-11-2010, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

Good work. These work amazingly well too. I use them everytime I wash the car, just get them damp and scrub away, then rinse off when pre-rinsing the car prior to washing.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:46 AM
11 Second Club

wow thanks ive been wondering a way to do this from the back of my car it looks nasty
Old 12-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up I will try these on my Borlas to see how they turn out,i used turtle wax chrome polish but the turtle wax didnt do my tips too much justice but sadly though I will be taking the Borla's off soon
Old 12-14-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks good, never would've thought of usin' oven cleaner, ...

Wait, the Borla tips have holes in them! What a travesty!

Quick Reply: cleaning stainless/polished exhaust tips