Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Window marks

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Window marks

I have marks or scratches on the outside of my door windows. Does anyone else have this problem? How do you remove them?
Attached Thumbnails Window marks-window.jpg  
Old 03-16-2011, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine does that as well. Haven't taken my door apart yet to figure it out. Subscribing to get the answer.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Launching!

its that whole strip that runs on top of the door on the outside that you see there... I had to replace my glass on both sides because of it and I found some newer strips at a salvage yard.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Im not sure whats causing it but it is definetly on the outside of the window and at the trailing last 1/3 of the glass. I tried a couple of different rubbing compounds but no difference.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

See this thread I made last year, might help: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...elt-piece.html

Like others have said, it's believed to be from that window strip that runs along the outside of the bottom of the window on top of the door. I replaced mine but the scratches still haunt me to this day. I am going to try to get rid of them this spring with some buffing and compound, but am doubtful it will work. Most f-bodies I've seen are plagued with this, ahhhhhhh
Old 03-16-2011, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Thanks. I read your post and my car hasnt been around pine needles and Ive had it since new so I agree that it isnt dirt or some kind of debris. A friend told me there might be some kind of real fine diamond bit compound to remove the marks but i havnt heard of anything like that. This maybe a problem that is just starting to appear with the F-bodys because I havnt seen much info on this problem.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bent1
Thanks. I read your post and my car hasnt been around pine needles and Ive had it since new so I agree that it isnt dirt or some kind of debris. A friend told me there might be some kind of real fine diamond bit compound to remove the marks but i havnt heard of anything like that. This maybe a problem that is just starting to appear with the F-bodys because I havnt seen much info on this problem.
if you can feel the scratches with your finger nail they are too deep. the only way is window replacement. I even tried that window scratch remover by eastwood, nothing helped.
replacing the indow isnt actually that hard, all you have to do is loosen the regulator and wiggle the window off the tracks at the top.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

You cant feel anything with your finger nails. Its smooth and thats what makes me think that they are only rub marks that can be removed some how.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its one of two things

If you can feel little grooves with your fingernail then you have sand or some type of grit in the felt on the inside of that strip. Try blowing it out with an air compressor but there's really no way to remove the scratches

Or

if you can't feel scratches but you have a large discolored area, then the felt on the inside of that strip has worn off and the bare rubber has 'polished' that part of your window. Kinda like how whenever your windshield gets a light mist or sprinkle on it, you can see the entire swept area where your wipers wipe...same thing
Old 03-16-2011, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

So if its just rubber making the marks then should it be possible to blend or polish the rest of the window to remove the marks?
Old 03-17-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Regular

i remeber seeing a thread about useing 0000 steelwool and glass cook top cleaner to clean major blemsihes off windows/ idk if it will work for you but its cheap and worth a try. you just just use it like wax and a hand buff pad.i did it on my windows and it made a world of difference.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bent1
So if its just rubber making the marks then should it be possible to blend or polish the rest of the window to remove the marks?
in theory...

I manage a glass shop btw and I'd guess 80% of our revenue is automotive... so I get asked that almost weekly

we use a product called 'Bio-Clean' from a company named C.R. Lawrence. Its mostly used on the inside of glass shower doors for removing just enough of the roughness of the glass to keep soap scum from having something to hang onto. Its extremely thin and you cannot even feel any type of abrasive compound to it. We put it on super thick, let it fog over (like automotive wax), and buff it off with microfiber towels. a super-soft buff pad should work just as well

I've used it on windshields for taking off tree sap and it works... but the few times I've used it to buff the 'unswept' area of a windshield where the wipers dont reach, frankly, I couldnt see or feel a difference. The vehicle owners have said they could fwiw. If I could describe it, its comparable to an application of rain-x

any commercial glass shop should be able to sell you a bottle... however, it may take several applications before your window is completely smooth

I havent tried the 0000 steel wool, and not no knock spikester's post but I have seen a handful of people that tried it and then brought their car to me to fix and I never could remove the 'haze' that was left
Old 03-17-2011, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Hey thank you VinR1 and Spikester. On my way to a glass shop to get that 'Bio-Clean' now. The 0000 steel wool will be my plan B. Will post the results. Thanks again.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this problem as well, always thought it was the tint but after getting a fix it ticket when I took if off it was still there. I was just going to take a closer look at it when I put in new window motors but I'll stay tuned for this
Old 03-17-2011, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

LS1Tech 10 Year

keep us notified
Old 03-22-2011, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Had to order the Bio Clean. It was $22. It didnt work iether. also tried the Magic Eraser and it didnt work. Will try the streel woole as soon as I can find another piece of glass to experiment on.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

I tried something comparative to steel wool, probably a little less course even, on a spare piece of glass the other day and it scratched it up..Tried a bunch of products too, havent found anything yet but ill post if i do. Also waiting to see if anyone else finds anything that will work on here.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Ill keep trying also
Old 03-22-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone try this?

http://www.eastwood.com/glass-polish...ches-5658.html
Old 03-22-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

No but i was thinking that sort of thing is about the only thing left, kinda the same thing as restoring headlights.

Quick Reply: Window marks