Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New idea?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New idea?

So I was thinking today about some various things I could do to make my exterior a little more unique.
I was thinking about the black cover things on the T/A headlights, and how they might look in body color. I know they're usually only out at night and all so not a lot of people would see them, but it's something I've never seen anyone do before.
What do you guys think? If someone wants to shop it, that'd be great, because I'm having a hard time actually really picturing it myself. I'd be willing to try it if enough people don't say "I bet it'd look like sh*t"
Old 04-25-2011, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Its been done. Search the site for pics
Old 04-26-2011, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did it on my Pewter Bird. Looks awesome, so much better than just that black.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh. Well then I'll probably go for it. Where would I get the Arctic White paint for this?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BirdsSince16
Oh. Well then I'll probably go for it. Where would I get the Arctic White paint for this?
Do ya wanna do it yerself?
Or do ya wanna simply drop them off at a body-shop, & pick them up all done professionally?

Yerself?
GM small spray cans
12345117 Primer
12345119 Clearcoat
12345588 Artic White
These are small cans that are about 5-6" tall. Maybe 6-7oz's?
You'd probably need 2 of each & they will cost ya $8-12 each.
So you'll be in it for at least $60.

Or you pick up something 'close' at WalMart or other store.
You're still gonna be in it for $12-25 for color & clear aren't ya?
And you've got work to do yet, ...

IMO, I'd drop them off at an auto-body shop & come back & pick'em up when complete with color & clear. Shouldn't be that costly.
$20-60, ..., I dunno about you, but I know someone in the business that probably wouldn't cost me any more than $20.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's not all that difficult. Remove them and clean well. Sand with 400 grit. Go to O'reilly and get a can of adhesion promoter, primer sealer and ONE can of Duplicolor Perfect Match and ONE can of Perfect Match clear. They have a little book so you can find your color and white is so common that I'm sure they have it. After the sanding apply the adhesion promoter and let it dry 15-30 minutes before applying the primer. Apply several coats of primer (15 min apart) and let it dry a couple hours. Wet sand any texture or imperfections with 800 grit but don't sand thru. Then apply your color coats 15 min apart. You probably won't use it all so just make sure you get even coverage. Let the last coat flask for 30 min and apply your clear. Since these WILL get by impacts, keep applying light coats every 15-20 min until it's gone. Let em cure OFF THE CAR for a couple days to a week. You can then wet sand I needed but you should be able to just rub em with a polishing compound and then wax.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

P.S. I HATE when someone asks for help and people say **** like "take it to a shop." There's no better satisfaction than a job well done YOURSELF. Little parts like this are great ways to learn how to do this stuff. However, if you were getting some other paint work done like hood or bumper, a shop wouldnt charge much to do those little parts. Otherwise they have to prep a work area and mix up the paint and spend some time with just two little pieces.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the tips How much crap will accumulate around my headlights if I drive without these for a few days?
Old 04-27-2011, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nothing you'll notice. Wouldn't hurt it to spray it out with the garden hose before the re-install.