Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Electric Fuel Pressure Gauge Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Electric Fuel Pressure Gauge Install

Going to install one to in my single pillar pod. Is everything included with the autometer ones or do I need other parts? Does it attach to the schrader valce,etc?
Old 09-18-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you will need to get the adapter to connect the sender to the fuel rail. i bought mine from metco motorsports. (Product ID: MFF0001) you will also need to remove the schrader valve from the fuel rail so the sender will read the pressure.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
you will need to get the adapter to connect the sender to the fuel rail. i bought mine from metco motorsports. (Product ID: MFF0001) you will also need to remove the schrader valve from the fuel rail so the sender will read the pressure.
Ok.I need that adapter and I assume you mean that I need to completely remove(unscrew) the schrader valve leaving a hole? Does the schrader valve take a certain tool,kind of looks like a bike tube valve to me.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should be able to get the schrader tool at an auto parts store. it's the pretty much same as a valve stem schrader valve.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Launching!

you should be able to get the schrader tool at an auto parts store. it's the pretty much same as a valve stem schrader valve.
You can. I just bought one at Oreilly's the other day. You do have to sit and argue a bit with the knucklehead behind the counter that has no idea what a schrader valve is though, lol
Old 01-03-2014, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So that part number you posted is the only adapter needed to connect the sender unit to the fuel rail? Any idea what the schrader valve tool costs?
Old 01-04-2014, 01:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
So that part number you posted is the only adapter needed to connect the sender unit to the fuel rail? Any idea what the schrader valve tool costs?
Yes that adapter is the only one needed. The tool is maybe $5. Here's a picture of what they usually look like:
Amazon.com: Slime 20088 4-Way Valve Tool with 4 Valve Cores: Automotive Amazon.com: Slime 20088 4-Way Valve Tool with 4 Valve Cores: Automotive
Old 01-04-2014, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the help JB. Hopefully my gauge comes today.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by _JB_
Yes that adapter is the only one needed. The tool is maybe $5. Here's a picture of what they usually look like:
Amazon.com: Slime 20088 4-Way Valve Tool with 4 Valve Cores: Automotive
Do you, or anyone else, know if that part (metco motorsports. (Product ID: MFF0001)) is available in a part store like Advanced Auto, Autozone, O'Reily's, etc.? The part itself on that website is $14.00, but shipping is an additional $10.00. Anyone got a link to another adapter that will work?
Old 01-09-2014, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

I found out what I need is a -4AN female to screw into the Schrader valve and a 1/8th NPT female end that the sending unit screws into. Some local parts store has to have a one of these fittings. No way I'm paying $14.00 and $10.00 shipping for a piece of metal that's no bigger than a quarter.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here is another question; can I use the same ground source that I used to ground my wideband, or do I need to find another spot?
Old 01-13-2014, 10:26 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grounds all essentially connect to the same place. You're fine putting it with the Wideband ground.

holy thread resurrection...
Old 01-13-2014, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by luigiandme
Grounds all essentially connect to the same place. You're fine putting it with the Wideband ground.

holy thread resurrection...
That's kind of what I figured, but wanted to be sure. Yeah, figured I'd piggyback off this thread instead of starting a new one.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Any pointers on the best way to route the wire the runs from the gauge to the fuel pressure sender unit? How did you guys get it through the firewall? I know there's a place on the passenger side, but would like to keep everything on the driver's side. Should I drill a hole?
Old 01-14-2014, 01:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Any pointers on the best way to route the wire the runs from the gauge to the fuel pressure sender unit? How did you guys get it through the firewall? I know there's a place on the passenger side, but would like to keep everything on the driver's side. Should I drill a hole?
I ran the wire through the passenger grommet. I don't like cutting metal out of my car unless its absolutely necessary. You'll have to extend the stock Autometer wire anyways, regardless if you run it through the driver side.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by _JB_
I ran the wire through the passenger grommet. I don't like cutting metal out of my car unless its absolutely necessary. You'll have to extend the stock Autometer wire anyways, regardless if you run it through the driver side.
I think I'll just go through the passenger side then since I know the hole is there. Thanks JB.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Don't know if you already bought the adapter but this is where I bought mine:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...=&pgGrp=search

Free shipping and had it the next day.

And I drilled through the firewall and bought a through wall two piece bushing to run all my wires for all 3 gauges I installed (don't have a part number nor web address handy). It made for a nice weather tight clean install IMO. Plus I didn't have to extend any wires which preferred to keep the chances of a short to a minimum.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jastone
Don't know if you already bought the adapter but this is where I bought mine:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...=&pgGrp=search

Free shipping and had it the next day.

And I drilled through the firewall and bought a through wall two piece bushing to run all my wires for all 3 gauges I installed (don't have a part number nor web address handy). It made for a nice weather tight clean install IMO. Plus I didn't have to extend any wires which preferred to keep the chances of a short to a minimum.
Thanks for that link. That's the exact same piece I found on another site, but shipping was going to be $10.00 for it.

Where did you drill the hole at? I would love to go that route, but don't want to end up drilling and hitting something. Are you the one who has the sticky on LS1.com? I was checking that out yesterday.

Last edited by Rise of the Phoenix; 01-14-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:33 AM
On The Tree

No, I have no stickies anywhere. I drilled mine just below the brake booster. Hole comes in above pedals behind a plastic trim piece for the dash. Everything is tucked, loomed, well hidden.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

I ended up ordering that fitting off Jegs website. No local parts stores had it. I've got everything wired up, so now I'm just waiting on the fitting to connect the sender to the fuel rail.

Quick Reply: Electric Fuel Pressure Gauge Install