Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

98 SS Interior Restoration??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 SS Interior Restoration??

I picked up a 98 SS roller which was supposed to be "perfect", after driving 5 hours to pick it up I realize this a$$hole must do glamour shots because the car looked no less than 300% better in the photos. It had dents, dings, missing pieces (even by roller standards) and apparently some mice living inside.

I got it home pulled the seats, sail panels, center console, and put some mouse traps inside just in case the little bugger is still in there.

I found some nice cloth seats out of a 2000 Camaro, and I planned on replacing the carpet, and dying the interior plastics back to OEM color.

For carpet, I have done some searching and it seems that stockinteriors has decent carpet for reasonable prices but it seems awfully cheap compared to other prices. Is the quality at least as good as OEM?

I have also heard that SEM is the way to go for interior dye, but are there any step by step write ups or some good info on how to apply this stuff to get quality results?

Also, my console lid is separating and I am wondering if there is a write up somewhere on how to repair this before I breakout the gorilla glue.

Sorry for the novel but I do appreciate any and all repsonses, thanks!
Old 11-01-2011, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you plan on wrapping it in leather/vinyl, replacing the panels will be your best bet. Don't forget the 98/99 typically is lighter shades than the 00-02's (if thats a concern). I recommend checking youtube for some of this. You'll see write-ups for other cars but same technique. Good luck!

D
Old 11-01-2011, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

I went with the classic industries carpet. It's gorgeous - but install involved *a lot* of cutting, patience, and fitting. Results are great though.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Launching!

I put the stockinteriors carpet in my car, and I'm 100% pleased with it. Research my threads and look at the one about my ebony interior swap and I have some really good pics of it in there
Old 11-01-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Duffster
Unless you plan on wrapping it in leather/vinyl, replacing the panels will be your best bet. Don't forget the 98/99 typically is lighter shades than the 00-02's (if thats a concern). I recommend checking youtube for some of this. You'll see write-ups for other cars but same technique. Good luck!

D
Is there no way to refurbish the existing panels if they are just faded with a few scratches?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Yep, sem dye, make sure u get advheasive promoter and do the correct steps otherwise it'll come off. Like preping it, removing all grease and plastic/vinyl cleaner. But other than that they have awesome color matching to oem colors. If u find any other way please share
Old 11-01-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A bit of a hijack.....

Anybody know the actual color (say per SEM) for the '99 interiors? I've seen it called dark/light/medium gray and charcoal. I'm sure they didn't use multiple shades of gray the same years.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you have the charcoal interior it looks like the closest match according to SEMs color chips (just looking at it online) would be the graphite. I would also like some clarification if anyone has used these products to try and match the charcoal interior...
Old 11-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Yes, the GM name for the 98-99 dark grey interior is graphite. 2000 and up black color is ebony
Old 11-02-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speedinc has replacement carpets and floormats http://www.speedinc.com/catagory.cfm...r%20/%20Safety

I just picked up a set of the SLP floormats and that alone made for a nice spruce up.

Quick Reply: 98 SS Interior Restoration??