Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Whats the best Under the hood cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whats the best Under the hood cleaner?

I want to clean up my engine/engine bay because its pretty dirty. So whats the best products I can pick up from the local auto parts stores to clean everything under the hood??
Old 12-19-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I use Simple Green mixed with water. I have it in a spray bottle and an assortment of small brushes. Cheap toothbrushes work great.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Teching In

oh sweet thanks!
Old 12-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful using simple green on aluminum parts. I hear it will pit them.

I use an engine degreaser sprayed on an old microfiber towel. Wipe down what you can and then go back with a soapy solution to bring to a shine. I'd be careful spraying degreaser directly under the hood because that stuff splashes everywhere!

Take some pics when you are done!
Old 12-19-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Junkie

I just spray the engine degreaser on the motor but being careful around the electric stuff so they wont get wet or the cleaner will mess them up but I wipe everything else off with a wash mitt with what ever cleaner I'm using for the body.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used some stuff in a purple bottle called "Super Clean" I think. Just sprayed it on and let it sit and rinsed it off with an open hose, no sprayer or anything. Did that a couple times, then dried with towels and compressed air.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've done it a couple different ways.

Degreaser from any auto store (or walmart, cheaper) works decent if its the stuff that actually sets up and foams up to really cover everything then you wash it off after a few minutes.

This last time I just used simple green and some elbow grease, I didn't even dilute it.
Just don't let it sit on anything for very long and you should be fine, didn't discolor or pit or even mess with plastic.

I don't like spraying water in an engine bay so I try not to.
Stuff like valve covers or anything else you can take off I would if you want it really clean.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

The dodge dealership i worked at had some professional stuff that was the bomb Will see if my buddy can get a name off a bottle It was a no wash type that made my old firechickens 3.4 look new when i had it
Old 12-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Teching In

I've done Simple Green diluted. Once you got the bulk of dirt off, a ton easier to keep it clean.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:38 AM
Staging Lane

Default Best underhood Cleaner

Have been using the original "GUNK" since 1960...works great and leaves a great smell!!

On a simple car such as ours, spray it on carefully, let it sit (now's a good time to go over really dirty spots with a brush, an old paint brush cut down to make the bristles stiff) then rinse with a hose or 25 cent car wash...try and avoid spraying too hard on elecs.

After clenning, wipe everything down with a towel or clean rag...the more thoroughly you wipe, the better the results.

If your engine is really dirty, it may take 2 or 3 sessions to get it where you want it...then you can maintain with Simple Green, undiluted. My truck has 140K on it and the engine looks basically as it did upon delivery.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:31 AM
Launching!

Super clean with wash off, dry then I came back with Meguairs ultimate detailer and it looks superb.
The detailer puts down a coating so slick that most road dust, etc doesn't stick and what does wipes right off easily.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a huge thread about this,
Old 12-20-2011, 04:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I used to keep it really clean but for some reason I was unhappy with the dullness so I used armor all on my engine instead of back to black.

Big mistake, it was a major dust collector. Here's the aftermath....

So I bought some simple green and diluted it down. I tried to keep it away from the aluminum parts since some people think it will tarnish the aluminum.

I then pressure washed the engine while running with my pressure washer nozzle set on the lightest/misty setting and started to rinse off my engine after letting the simple green do it's thing for a minute or so.

Once I fully rinsed the engine off I tool a bristled brush and a washing sponge and went over the engine, bumper/radiator supports and shock towers with some car wash soap then rinsed one last time.

After this I took my air compressor and used it to dry off the engine. After it was dry I started to apply the back to black on all hoses and black parts and used some mothers aluminum polish on the aluminum parts.

A lot of people recommend finishing off the engine with CD2 but I hate the smell you get after. Some say you can spray a clear coat too...

Anyways just thought I'd share my results...

After

Old 12-21-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

http://www.toolking.com/gunk-ceb1-15...eaner-detailer

The BOMB! This with a little brush in the tough areas, rinse, Start engine, Leaf blower till dry! Don't look back! Looks better than new! Has that Satin look and won't atract dust.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

^^I believe that stuff puts a "protective layer" that begins to peel up all over the place after a couple weeks, right? I don't like anything that leaves a hard to clean residue even if it makes it look clean.

Quick Reply: Whats the best Under the hood cleaner?