Best car duster??? - LS1TECH

Log In 


Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Best car duster???

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
11 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Ballzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Florida
Posts: 538
Default Best car duster???

What car duster do you guys use? Having a black car in the pollen season really pisses me off. Didn't know if there were other brands than California car duster or how well they actually work. Thanks!
Ballzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
TECH Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
The Mighty Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Longview,TX & Tricitys,WA
Posts: 2,203
Default

Ahh yes pollen season sucks. It hit here about a month ago but only lasted maybe a week or two max. I just wash it twice a week or so..then again its not a black car either.
The Mighty Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
Staging Lane
iTrader: (1)
 
Skymaira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dover, DE
Posts: 65
Default

I have a California and I'm definitely a fan. I wipe mine off everyday before I leave work
Skymaira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (10)
 
Gipraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cypress, Tx
Posts: 1,041
Default

I would never recommend a car duster. Wash it properly.

I do like it when people use them though .. more work for me
Gipraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
On The Tree
iTrader: (2)
 
junior98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Amarillo, TX
Posts: 144
Default

I've used the california car duster in the past and I was very pleased with it! Honestly though, a microfiber towel works just as well and is cheaper. lol
junior98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
Captain Double Post
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Elyria Ohio
Posts: 1,664
Default

California ftw
BOBS99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (12)
 
autogeek23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Berea,Ohio
Posts: 609
Default

Ask a Professional Detailer

the ask a professional detailer thread. tons of good stuff. and a genius OP
autogeek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
Staging Lane
iTrader: (1)
 
tmurph01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 89
Default

I have a black car and I have used the California Car Duster. The issue I had with it, is sometimes it would just push the pollen into the seems,.. this happened even after a thorough cleaning and whatnot. The best thing I have found, is a good microfiber towel with a quality spray detailer.


tmurph01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
11 Second Club
iTrader: (2)
 
AZ2ENVY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Energy Vortex's
Posts: 1,349
Default

Its called Wand-O-Swirls for a reason
AZ2ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #10
11 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Ballzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Florida
Posts: 538
Default

yeah, ive been using the micro lately.. works pretty good but sometimes all of it ends up in the cracks...
Ballzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
It's not mine! woo hoo!
iTrader: (7)
 
demonspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 7,123
Default

Those who are opposed due to the whole thing due to the swirls it causes - and the solution offered is to "wash your car," then what about when you're at a car show or cruise in? Just leave the mess on your car?

In the real world, it'd be nice to always wash the car and dry it off, but sometimes people would like to actually drive their car. A quick wipe with a duster and some spray detailer and microfiber for the special "funk" is a lot easier - even moreso when one doesn't have access to a car wash, such as when you're at a car show.

I'm not disagreeing with the theory about the swirls from car dusters; rather, I'm just saying there is a time and a place for everything.
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Bay Area
Posts: 1,047
Default

California Duster (the big one). Stays in the car 24/7. After it gets too dirty, just wash it, let it air dry, and it's good for another go.
thecobrahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #13
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (12)
 
GoFast908Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymaira View Post
I have a California and I'm definitely a fan. I wipe mine off everyday before I leave work
See quote below.... You are putting swirls into your paint daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1LT1 View Post
Its called Wand-O-Swirls for a reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
Those who are opposed due to the whole thing due to the swirls it causes - and the solution offered is to "wash your car," then what about when you're at a car show or cruise in? Just leave the mess on your car?

In the real world, it'd be nice to always wash the car and dry it off, but sometimes people would like to actually drive their car. A quick wipe with a duster and some spray detailer and microfiber for the special "funk" is a lot easier - even moreso when one doesn't have access to a car wash, such as when you're at a car show.

I'm not disagreeing with the theory about the swirls from car dusters; rather, I'm just saying there is a time and a place for everything.
I understand the concept....A time and place for everything..... However, CORRECTING the swirls you will put in by doing it the "quick" way will take 20 times more TIME than doing it the right way.

You can spend 10 hours correcting the marks it took minutes to induce with those, ESPECIALLY with pollen which is about the most abrasive stuff you can get on the car.
GoFast908Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #14
It's not mine! woo hoo!
iTrader: (7)
 
demonspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 7,123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFast908Z View Post
I understand the concept....A time and place for everything..... However, CORRECTING the swirls you will put in by doing it the "quick" way will take 20 times more TIME than doing it the right way.

You can spend 10 hours correcting the marks it took minutes to induce with those, ESPECIALLY with pollen which is about the most abrasive stuff you can get on the car.
I totally respect your thoughts on this issue, but what is one to do with the situation I presented? You drove to the car show and you've got bugs on the bumper, maybe some stuff kicked up on the rocker panels, and a whole bunch of road dust on the sides and back. What does one properly do?

I get the whole 10 hours thing, but I'd rather spend 10 hours during the winter with a buffer than an hour each time I want to take my car out washing and drying it. Further if one cares that much about the swirls, then I'd surmise the "damage" that would need corrected at the end of the season would be significantly less than what most swirl marks are like.

I sincerely am not asking this stuff to be obstinate or as an attack
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (12)
 
GoFast908Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
I totally respect your thoughts on this issue, but what is one to do with the situation I presented? You drove to the car show and you've got bugs on the bumper, maybe some stuff kicked up on the rocker panels, and a whole bunch of road dust on the sides and back. What does one properly do?

I get the whole 10 hours thing, but I'd rather spend 10 hours during the winter with a buffer than an hour each time I want to take my car out washing and drying it. Further if one cares that much about the swirls, then I'd surmise the "damage" that would need corrected at the end of the season would be significantly less than what most swirl marks are like.

I sincerely am not asking this stuff to be obstinate or as an attack
Oh I understand, no worries. There is the upside and downside to it....

To save time, you could do an Optimum No Rinse wash versus a traditional wash and cut the time down and still be safer to the paint than the CA duster/swirlwand or detail spraying it to wipe away pollen.
GoFast908Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #16
TECH Addict
iTrader: (26)
 
HotWhipT/A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: ATX
Posts: 2,047
Default

Optimum No Rinse wash otherwise known as the eco wash is great for a car that is slightly dirty and or you live at an apartment complex and you want to wash your own car. My car on the other hand gets driven on the weekends in nice weather only. I've polished it to perfection and protected it with 2 layers of CQuartz ceramic coating which can reduce micro marring by up to 50%, then topped that with ReLoad sealant for that ultra slickness as the coating alone doesn't give. With that said, my car only gets very very light surface dust that never sticks. I used compressed air to blow as much of it off as I can then I like to use a light amount of Meguire's Last Touch detail spray in a 1:2 mix ratio of water with a clean plush microfiber when the paint has cooled down. I let the MF do all the work. I don't put any pressure at all on the paint. Then I'll put my car cover on it in the garage. My car stays nearly perfect by most standards by doing this. Although every 2 years, I will give it a light polish and protect it again. This coating can last up to 2 years on a daily driven car and mine is far from that.
HotWhipT/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #17
Launching!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clayton, De
Posts: 289
Default

Gliptone and a microfiber towel
SVTconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #18
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (104)
 
PontiacFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Kearney, NE
Posts: 3,610
Default

California Duster.
If you take proper care of both the car & the Duster, ..., You shouldn't have that big of an issue with swirls.
A proper buff every once in a while with the PC will bring it back.

Last edited by PontiacFan; 05-08-2012 at 09:30 PM.
PontiacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #19
11 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Ballzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Florida
Posts: 538
Default

Guess I should not of asked. Lol. Lol.
Ballzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #20
Staging Lane
iTrader: (1)
 
Skymaira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dover, DE
Posts: 65
Default

Ive noticed it's put a few defects in it. But im not worried about it. I'm probably the only person on the forum who will say this...but my car is really not that big of a deal to me. Now once I actually put some money into it, ill be just as **** as anyone. But for right now, its not that serious.
Skymaira is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Car Cover for Dust Sausalito123 Appearance & Detailing 9 06-09-2016 07:11 AM
How would you react to this "prank"? DrEvyl Racer's Lounge 27 12-09-2014 10:52 AM
List your past/present cars. RPD_Vette84 Western Members 66 08-23-2010 05:22 PM
Does a California Car Duster cause swirls? stoverz28 Appearance & Detailing 25 06-28-2008 10:07 AM
Califorina Car duster....Any way to clean and treat them 618HAWK Appearance & Detailing 20 04-04-2006 03:41 PM


Tags
black, car, carduster, cars, duster, dusters, exterior, forum, hemi, make, modern, pollen, remove, swap, whst

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 PM.