Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Want to buy orbital polisher locally.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to buy orbital polisher locally.

Anyone know if any stores stock nice polishers like Porter Cables or something similar? According to all the big name hardware store sites they don't. I want to buy it locally as there is a show coming up and I'd like to do some paint correction before it.

Also....I have never used a good orbital before....Am I getting in over my head purchasing such an expensive tool? Are they suitable for first time users?

One more thing...There is a local detailing shop near me. The owner said he would do some decent paint correction on my truck for 150. I'm leery about it because as he was inspecting my truck he kept running his fingers across my paint even though its dirty and he put quite a few scratches (super small) on my paint. Seems like he could possibly suck at his job. lol.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where are you located? The PC is a great tool. Easy to use. No problem for the beginner or professional. The PC is a DA not an Orbital. For the price of a detail you can buy the PC and a starter kit (pads, polish, wax, etc) and never pay anyone again. The PC will last a lifetime. Mine lasted for 5 years or so with 75 cars a year. Lots of video's on YouTube. Adam's is a sponser here and I get my packages in a couple days. Might give them a call and see if they can ship it to you faster.

An orbital is a different animal and should not be used unless you know what your doing or your starting out on a "practice" piece. As in a junk piece that can be thrown away when you burn through the paint

Last edited by 99zee; 05-09-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would buy a PC online in a package deal. Get the tool, pads, and compounds all at once
Old 05-09-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the Griot's Garage 6" random orbital. That's the one I have.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Home depot might have a PC?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99zee
Where are you located? The PC is a great tool. Easy to use. No problem for the beginner or professional. The PC is a DA not an Orbital. For the price of a detail you can buy the PC and a starter kit (pads, polish, wax, etc) and never pay anyone again. The PC will last a lifetime. Mine lasted for 5 years or so with 75 cars a year. Lots of video's on YouTube. Adam's is a sponser here and I get my packages in a couple days. Might give them a call and see if they can ship it to you faster.

An orbital is a different animal and should not be used unless you know what your doing or your starting out on a "practice" piece. As in a junk piece that can be thrown away when you burn through the paint
I'm in Northwest Indiana. Thanks for clearing up the difference between orbital and DA. I wanted to get it locally so I can have it to use it before Saturday. Home Depot doesn't have them.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased my PC from Lowes.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your best bet is to get one overnighted or borrow one from a local guy. Lowes and Home Depot advertise them, but rarely have them. Call Adam's and have them overnight you a kit. Don't forget the TECH discount.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I prefer the Griot's 6". It's the most powerful of the bunch and the cheapest actually. Although I don't think you can find that locally. Depending where you live, their is a list of Walmarts that carry some high-end Meguiar's products. It shows the products they carry too. I also have the Meguiar's G110V2 and that comes in second for me. I find the Porter Cable extremely weak. I'll use mine for wax application only. I think the Griot's 3" is stronger than the PC, it's that bad! What I mean is you need the pad to rotate under pressure to get results. It can't just vibrate. The PC can't handle much at all. The Meguiar's one is noticeably stronger. Now the Griot's 6", you can put damn near all your weight on it and it still rotates.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...hlight=walmart

The 5" MF cutting pads and the D300 compound is a really good start.

Last edited by HotWhipT/A; 05-10-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just bought my PC shipped for $119. I received it yesterday. Probally cheapest you'll find them. shipped free
Old 05-11-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bought one at Lowes for my dad for his birthday, it's the 6" counterweight/backing plate version. They used to call it a 7336sp, they've revised the part number. It was $120 and some change, but if you go to the post office and get a relocation packet it comes with a 10% off coupon. I paid $116 with tax and had it in stock. It's a great tool, mine is 10 years old and gets used about every third weekend and still running strong.

Quick Reply: Want to buy orbital polisher locally.