Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

won this auction for 8500k white bulbs but i think maybe i ordered the wrong thing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 07:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default won this auction for 8500k white bulbs but i think maybe i ordered the wrong thing?

i won this auction last night thinking these white 8500k bulbs would give me much better light at night than the stock bulbs so that i could drive around with the fogs most of the time. now i'm thinking i went too high on the color scale? i haven't paid for these yet so before i either pay for them, don't pay for them, or contact the seller and see if he can give me something else, i wanted to see what would be the best kind of drop in bulbs on the stock fogs. since my car is an LT1 it has the better metal/glass housings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230855676218...84.m1497.l2649
Old 09-25-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From personal experience the ebay bulbs have much worse light output. Your better off going to autozone and getting a set of silverstar's
Old 09-25-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Junkie

i already have silverstars i think. i'm looking for something brighter than that.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

Hids are your next step, but be prepared to be flashed as HIDS in reflector housings scatter and get into oncoming traffics eyes.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

just order some h.i.d's from ddm tuning easy to install and they work great just put some on my 02ss...i chose 8k and they have great light output
Old 09-25-2012, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sick02ss
just order some h.i.d's from ddm tuning easy to install and they work great just put some on my 02ss...i chose 8k and they have great light output
This guy doesnt know what hes talking about

DDM is def. a good way to go if you end up investing in hids OP. 35W standard ballasts work fantastic (55w and slim ballast will run you more and you wont really see much of a difference).
Old 09-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Blue painted bulbs have crap output.

If you want good output from Halogen, stick with clear bulbs.

If you want good output from HID, stick with 4300K - 5000K for an OEM-Look. If you want a little more hint of blue, get 6000K. Avoid Higher Kelvin ratings since the output drops and the bluer light is less useful for night vision.

Also, I'd suggest avoiding putting HID into Halogen Reflector housings (like the Fog Lights on your T/A) since they will glare.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

so should i email the seller and see if he has 4300k bulbs or just see what happens if i don't respond to the auction?
Old 09-25-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

send the seller an email , they should be able to just give the bulbs you want.
Not responding is a bad idea for your ebay reputation.

It 'd be a different story if they already shipped it out, but they didn't.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:49 AM
TECH Junkie

ok i emailed him asking if he has lights in the 4300-5000 range.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

You better off sticking with the silverstars. Hids in a reflector housing are going to offer worse light output even at 4300
Old 09-26-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Junkie

as luck would have it, my friggin headlight motor started grinding again today. i cleaned up the lenses on the fogs and unplugged the headlights. i could use something brighter but i guess they will do for now as long as i don't drive down any unlit twisty roads. i'm in the process of trying to find new driving lights for the fog light holes to act as driving lights since i don't feel like rebuilding both my headlight motors (drivers side drops way too fast, has had brass gear for over 8 years but it's stripped in some places now)
Old 09-26-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

People say it gives off terrible light output to put HIDs in a halogen reflector, but my 5000ks are quite a bit brighter than silverstars. I have no problem seeing at all. I can say I do get flashed occasionally, which I know is not good for other people on the road. Perhaps I'll point them down a little, get projectors, or just switch back to 6000ks when I never got flashed.

There was definitely a noticable difference in light output from 6000s and 5000s. 6000s were slightly blue, 5000s are white.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

Fog lights are too low on the car to be used as real headlights. I would rebuild the headlight motors then invest in some projectors if you want HIDs. Or you can just drive around with your high beams on it won't be any different than putting HIDs in reflector housings that weren't designed for HIDS.

Yes there are reflector housings designed for HIDs...No they are not common.

I have the BLS kit for my 02 and I would recommend Brian for his products. I have NEVER been flashed for my HID projectors although I have for my HID fog lights. Consequently I only use my fog lights for when it is actually foggy or no one else is on the road.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by staticx57
Fog lights are too low on the car to be used as real headlights. I would rebuild the headlight motors then invest in some projectors if you want HIDs. Or you can just drive around with your high beams on it won't be any different than putting HIDs in reflector housings that weren't designed for HIDS.

Yes there are reflector housings designed for HIDs...No they are not common.

I have the BLS kit for my 02 and I would recommend Brian for his products. I have NEVER been flashed for my HID projectors although I have for my HID fog lights. Consequently I only use my fog lights for when it is actually foggy or no one else is on the road.
my whole objective is to have lights bright enough in the bumper so i don't have to use the flip up lights. For some reason i thought HIDs would provide this. our cars look so much better at night without the damn frog eyes up. since my right headlight motor started grinding today and my left headlight motor has a brass gear that is failing and drops the headlight door from about 1/2 of the way (makes a clunk when it goes down) i don't really feel like dropping $90+ for 2 rebuild kits. i actually unplugged both of my headlight motors tonight since just unplugging the grinding one still causes the obnoxious flipping up of the left one when the fogs come on.

i think i actually had a cop flash his lights at me a few weeks ago since i was driving at late dusk almost dark with just the fogs on, lol. since every time i use the headlights i have to open the hood and adjust the drivers side since it sits higher up when off (has to do with the brass gear) i just avoid using them whenever possible.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Junkie

is this the right kind of kit i need to order to put HID's in the fogs?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Slim-HID-Xen...sories&vxp=mtr
Old 09-27-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sick02ss
Put your car up against a Honda or Acura that's running them yellow fog/head lights and see which ones give better visibility at night time. Bet it won't be them 8k bulbs your running. I'll give it to them for running a light to where they can actually see at night time.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 9WhiteCamaro9
Put your car up against a Honda or Acura that's running them yellow fog/head lights and see which ones give better visibility at night time. Bet it won't be them 8k bulbs your running. I'll give it to them for running a light to where they can actually see at night time.
Yellow headlights originally came from France. Do not give the Japanese credit they do not deserve.

And white ~4300K is the best light you will get. Blue (5000+ K scatters too much and not much of it will reach your eye compared) sucks while white shows the full spectrum and allows you to determine what you are seeing the best but yellow is the best for determining that you do in fact see something.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:26 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Putting HID in your fog lights will not make them a replacement for your headlights. Fix your headlights.

Also, 8000k is too blue.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Junkie

i just went ahead and ordered $85 worth of gear kits from ebay. i figure if i gotta rebuild the passenger side motor i might as well rebuild the drivers side again since the brass gear slips. i just hope these new gears don't give me the issue like the old brass gear does where the headlight door goes all the way down, then pops up slightly and in order for me to line it up right i have to manually lower it. that gear did that in 2 seperate motor housings so i know it was the gear itself. i also hope the new T fittings keep the plastic covers in place as i've had my drivers side plastic cover sitting in my console for the last 2-3 years.

Quick Reply: won this auction for 8500k white bulbs but i think maybe i ordered the wrong thing?