Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Newborn car seat to work in my formula .

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 08:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Newborn car seat to work in my formula .

Gonna have a baby in a about a month and a half . What are you guys using that works with our back seats . I want something safe and i want something to fit correctly in the back of the formula . I want to take the baby and wife home in it . And be able to take the baby places and go on cruises.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's my first hand experience in my '00 SS:

- The infant travel systems will be a major bitch in the car. They lay down too much. Although I wouldn't have wanted my daughter in anything else when she was really young, the passenger seat is basically useless unless your S.O. is a midget. The passenger's head will be in the windshield. We upgraded my kid to the rear-facing convertible seat when she was 1.
- Even the convertible seats when rear facing are a bitch and will really put your S.O.'s head into the windshield. My wife is like 5'6" and we made due for short trips, but she was crammed into the front seat more than I was really comfortable with.
- The lack of LATCH provisions in the F-Body is a major PITA, but they still can be secured into the back seat using the seat belt "E" clip.
- our severely "raked" rear seat bottoms present a little bit of a challenge to getting the things in there level. I actually went to a foam outlet and made a little "wedge" to fit down into the seat bottom to help level it out a bit. Cost <$20 and made it easier to install the seat and put her in the proper position to support her neck better.

Essentially, it's doable, but not fun/easy/comfortable. Once the kid goes rear facing, I think it'll be money. We'll find out this year when the car comes out of hibernation.

FWIW, I fit this seat into the SS, rear facing. Seat now resides in the wife's car:

http://www.justkidsstore.com/prod/br...exAMgodCiUAsw&

But I have this one in my daily driver and I think my kid likes it more than the ridiculously pricey Britax one my wife has. For $140 (Walmart has the best price), I will probably pick one up this summer to be dedicated in the Camaro because it's such a PITA to take it in and out without the LATCH hooks:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Naut...-Bravo/8112222

One tip - for me, anyway, it seemed like it'd be an eternity before we could get back to normal seating in the car. Rear facing is absolutely a headache and a huge space constraint in almost any vehicle. Be patient, it's temporary. They say to keep them rear facing until 2 years old or more, but I personally call BS on it. We made it about 14-16 months and said eff it and flipped her around. So, you're looking at a headache for a period of time, but it'll pass. I absolutely see no issue in fitting her into the car comfortably this year with her being front facing. She's now 18 months old.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im about to face this in the near future once my car is back on the road. Right now, my son is 15 months. He is still rear facing...even though he's big and strong enough to be turned around IMO. My wife is against it until he's two. Even in our Jeep or my Jetta the passenger has ZERO room due to the convertable being rear facing. Ide be a little concerned with him riding in my car before 6mo old anyway just due to the noise, rough ride, fumes etc... haha. But in a less harsh car, I would no prob.

NO WAY would it fit into my thirdgen (same basic interior as the 4th gens) as rear facing. At least not with a front passenger and my wife is 5'2 haha.

Im really hoping that a front facing seat will work. My son wont really be in the car except for the short drive to daycare or whatever, so Im going to get the same seat that I have in my Jetta, as its minimal in its design.

Also toyed with welding latches into the back, and building a platform to completely replace the seat cushion that bolts to the floor in a few spots. Ive seen my Jetta's Latch points...They are spot welded and me welding the crap out of some and putting support plates BEHIND them should be way stronger. We'll see what happens..

Intersted in others experiences here too!

J.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Atrus pretty much hit all the major points. I will say that mine got drove less because like mentioned, the rear facing places the passengers knees up into the front dash. I think once they hit 1 year old and a certain weight they are allowed to move to a front facing seat which helps. And eventually they will get to a booster seat, but at that point the kids are back to not having much room since their feet are almost up against the front seat at that point.

The foam spacer is a good idea since I've yet to find a seat that sits nicely in our backseats.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My friend has a child and her car seat fits perfectly if you just remove the rear seats. Its very secure and doesnt move at all.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I took our daughter in my old trans am one time, it was a convertible seat and i wedged a towel under it between the carseat and the backseat to level it. The front seat passenger will have little room until the child is old enough to be in a front facing seat. I'd honestly avoid the kiddo in the formula with someone in the front seat if theres other means of transportation until the child can sit forward facing.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Im about to face this in the near future once my car is back on the road. Right now, my son is 15 months. He is still rear facing...even though he's big and strong enough to be turned around IMO. My wife is against it until he's two. Even in our Jeep or my Jetta the passenger has ZERO room due to the convertable being rear facing. Ide be a little concerned with him riding in my car before 6mo old anyway just due to the noise, rough ride, fumes etc... haha. But in a less harsh car, I would no prob.

NO WAY would it fit into my thirdgen (same basic interior as the 4th gens) as rear facing. At least not with a front passenger and my wife is 5'2 haha.

Im really hoping that a front facing seat will work. My son wont really be in the car except for the short drive to daycare or whatever, so Im going to get the same seat that I have in my Jetta, as its minimal in its design.

Also toyed with welding latches into the back, and building a platform to completely replace the seat cushion that bolts to the floor in a few spots. Ive seen my Jetta's Latch points...They are spot welded and me welding the crap out of some and putting support plates BEHIND them should be way stronger. We'll see what happens..

Intersted in others experiences here too!

J.
I heard a few months back about them changing the law on the latch systems. Something about they are only rated to 65 lbs. (don't quote me on that) and most car seats themselves are 20 lbs. + so you can hit that 65 lbs. mark pretty quick with the heavier car seats. Not and issue in our cars, but something that might affect DD's such as mine where we use the latch.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

I use the Graco 35 car seat with base. We have a base in my fiancé's car and a black base for my car. The car seat slash/ stroller seat clicks right into the base and I never take the base out. I can get you a pic at lunch, as my cars in the lot as we speak. SUPER easy and I'm VERY comfortable with it.

BTW, my daughter is 9 mo. old now and we've done this since day one.... in her car. I used to just use the seat itself as it has seat belt grooves built into it for use without a base (but for a Camaro you need to use a rolled up towel down in the "butt of the seat" since the seat sinks as it goes further back)

There is a level built into the seat that tells you when you're at a safe level when it's installed. If you use the base, you never need to worry about it as it stays perfect in the car and the base itself has a "foot" that moves to create the correct level needed.

Hope this all made sense.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As others have said- remember it is temporary. It felt like we would never get to booster seats. Now they are 4 and 7 and life is much easier. Still- I don't take the kids very far in any of the fun cars- pretty much to school or out to eat.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sommer86
I use the Graco 35 car seat with base. We have a base in my fiancé's car and a black base for my car. The car seat slash/ stroller seat clicks right into the base and I never take the base out. I can get you a pic at lunch, as my cars in the lot as we speak. SUPER easy and I'm VERY comfortable with it.

BTW, my daughter is 9 mo. old now and we've done this since day one.... in her car. I used to just use the seat itself as it has seat belt grooves built into it for use without a base (but for a Camaro you need to use a rolled up towel down in the "butt of the seat" since the seat sinks as it goes further back)

There is a level built into the seat that tells you when you're at a safe level when it's installed. If you use the base, you never need to worry about it as it stays perfect in the car and the base itself has a "foot" that moves to create the correct level needed.

That's similar too what I used with my son. The car seat was deatachable and came with two bases. One for my Camaro and her Blazer. The base would be buckled in at all times and the seat would click into that. It was easier to get my son in my Camaro than it was her old two-door Blazer. Once he became old enough for a forward facing seat all you do is remove the base and start using the seat like you normally would forward facing. He's five now and I've also picked up a Silverado and we replaced her shitty Blazer with a Cadillac SRX so he doesn't ride in the Camaro anymore really but when he did, especially rear facing it was cramped for whoever sat in the passenger seat
Old 01-26-2013, 10:35 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Time to sell the Fbody and get a four door car/ SUV.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pics please!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:52 AM
TECH Junkie

thanks for all the great replies guys i appreciate it . it will make my choice easier knowing what some of you have used.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by scj
Time to sell the Fbody and get a four door car/ SUV.

Haha nevah , just got an 05 impala ss Saturday for the wife . So that will do . ******** at work keep saying time for a minivan sell the formula , yeah right . The sweet thing is we both hate minivans with a passion.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the Graco 35 car seat with base.
That's what we had too - Snugride 35. I attempted to install it once in my SS, but she never actually rode in it. My daughter was basically 1 when I got the car, so we ended up with a rear-facing convertible seat which was still way tight for the passenger.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:27 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
Haha nevah , just got an 05 impala ss Saturday for the wife . So that will do . ******** at work keep saying time for a minivan sell the formula , yeah right . The sweet thing is we both hate minivans with a passion.
my son is still in the womb and i'm getting this at work also. LOL
Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like it's time for one of these j/k

<------no kids, ever!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Due end of march too
Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Launching!

Exactly what I did, both kids are now front facing and we have had no problems at all... actually both the girls now get quite upset if I pick them up in the diesel Jetta... hahahaha
Old 01-28-2013, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Perfect timing for this thread, I'll be a dad in may and this has crossed my mind a few times. It's only for cruising though since mine isn't a DD!!

Quick Reply: Newborn car seat to work in my formula .