Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old 05-10-2016, 02:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

side mirror mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 08:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default side mirror mod

Has anyone tried changing the side view mirrors on a 4th gen fbody and replacing them with a more updated look. Im thinking about doing mine with the turn signal built in on the outside. I think it will give the cars a little extra flare. What do you guys think?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree, thought of this as well.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

as far as "replacing" or changing them, I assume you won't find anything out there aftermarket.

would be interesting to see what someone who's good with custom fab work could do though. something benz-ish could look pretty good
Old 02-27-2013, 12:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

a few people have done c6 mirrors....
Old 02-27-2013, 12:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Sail Hatan
a few people have done c6 mirrors....
the side/exterior mirrors? on a camaro or TA. can't really imagine that looking right, or see the point
Old 02-27-2013, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awhile ago someone did led turn signals behind the mirror. it would only show when it flashed. as far as changing the whole mirror, not sure your going to find something that will flow with the body lines well.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:45 PM
10 Second Club

Old 02-27-2013, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boom.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...om-wheels.html

Old 02-27-2013, 01:11 PM
10 Second Club

That's what I was looking for.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

I like c5 mirrors on ta's/formulas, not much can be done to help camaros though since the fenders body lines flow into the mirror. Speed inc used to sell mirrors with turn signal led's in them for camaros but I dont they do anymore, cause I was wanting some before I painted my car.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Teching In

I agree with crimson bird, those mirrors looks out of place on an fbody, especially the Bird, they look to small
Old 02-28-2013, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Kudos for being different, but those side mirrors look wack..if those were stockers, people would line up for current firebird mirrors
Old 02-28-2013, 11:13 AM
TECH Veteran

not bad, I had certainly expected worse in my head. I prefer the stock style for the car, but Hollo actually did a pretty good job with that, as well as the overall car. funny, i know I remember seeing that thread way back when, but i don't remember the mirrors
Old 02-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Teching In

I think oddly enough the newer Sonata mirrors would be perfect
Attached Thumbnails side mirror mod-sonata.jpg  
Old 02-28-2013, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

those might work, but those on the som car look terrible IMO. I don't see anything wrong with the aesthetics of the stock side mirrors but functionally it would be nice to have defog on them and turn arrows.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

turn signal ones are really easy to do and look great, and daytime you will never see them unless they are blinking. Won't see the faint arrow shape like the GM trucks. I went w/ GM red ones, but I have seen that in Ford minivans their arrows are orange, so there are options. When I did mine I drilled out for the full sized arrow. If I decide to remake them I would eliminate 1 led per side to make it more "size-comparable". Those vette mirrors look so out of place.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Teching In

@BlackDuk98, Did you do the ones that appear on the outside of the mirror or the inside.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Kaydio77
@BlackDuk98, Did you do the ones that appear on the outside of the mirror or the inside.
I did the ones that are hidden behind the mirror glass and don't have the little grooves to shine the light through like the gm ones. More hidden.

For ones that are on the outside of the mirror housing, should be able to look at other factory mirrors that have that option and find where the curvature is the same as the f body mirror, then just purchase that small lens/led part and cutout the mirror housing and insert them in there.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

I may have come up with an idea, not something I would ever do but it may work for someone who wants to add this option and customize the outer mirror housing. I did some digging in my spare parts room and found some power side mirrors for Firebird / TA. There is a ton of empty room behind the motor in these to be able to securely fit these turn signals for an outer housing blinker concept.

A friend tore his side mirror off of his 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid and needed a new one installed. He saved me the led setup from the mirror for me to possibly use some day. Now the one I have doesn't look the best because the clear lense part is busted off and dust and crap on it, but I can still pillage the leds for a future project. I held the led signal part from the busted Hyundai mirror up to my spare TA mirror and the shape is almost dead on and the length is right at the limit. The cool thing about these is if you look right at the small corner that bumps out, it has 2 small leds that when mounted, would wrap around the edge and face the rear of the car so people behind you can see where you are going. Eliminating the need for the arrow signal in the glass.

I think it can be done. I wasn't going to cut up my mirror housing to try it, but if you pictire the led setup moved 1"+ down the front of the mirror housing directly in line with that thin rib, I think it would graft in nicely. May be able to photoshop the idea. Plus for those who like the look of clear lenses, that job is done, and for someone who wants them kinda subtle, tint them. They flash orange. Here are some pics for an idea along with what it looks like on it's mother car, and part number. This is all I can think up, anyone else?

I will still stick w/ my arrow signals though.

Here is a brand new one on ebay right now:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brandnew-Gen...a2dfb7&vxp=mtr

I decided to keep mine like GM would make them including sticking w/ the blue tint mirror version like LT1's, 98's and some '99's. Like I mentioned previously, I would eliminate 1 led per side to make the arro a little smaller if I get ambitious enough to redo them. I apologize for the blurry pics, and in the pic where the signal is on in the light, the reason it isn't bright is because I didnt have the mirror angled like it would be seen from behind. You will notice on the GM turn signal assembly that the leds are actually at an angle so when the mirrors are in their proper position, it is extremely bright. I just neglected to take an angled picture. plus as a bonus, you don't see the arrow hatching in the mirror glass like a factory glass, more hidden. There was a writeup on tech long ago that I used the wiring info from, but all the pics were gone when I looked at it, but is will help you wire it all up. As far as securly mounting the led part, I didn't find the info I needed so I fabbed a water tight setup that works great and utilizes part of GM truck mirrors.

Last edited by BlackDuk98; 03-01-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Teching In

I like that Idea, Thats almost a perfect fit, I'm an artist by trade, And in my spare time i've been trying to redesign the lights for the rear end of my Camaro, I seen a Lincoln concept car and I put the lights and and exhaust on my camaro, I'll post it a few

Quick Reply: side mirror mod