Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old 05-02-2016, 01:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

HID Fogs With HID Headlights???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Fogs With HID Headlights???

So my plan is to replace all of my lighting in my 02 Camaro SS... I have just purchased my BLS Morimoto projector headlights with Morimoto 35W 5000k HID kit and a red CCFL halo installed and waiting for them to be finished and shipped! I also just bought some eBay clear corners & clear markers (debating to smoke tint rattle can spray them or to leave them clear on my Arctic white SS).

My next step is to work on my fogs and debating to replace them or not... currently they don't even work, when I flip the switch on the dash it lights up but my fogs don't turn on. Even if I fixed them, I don't want the stock dim light output they provide. Since my headlights are going to be 5k, I would like a similiar look and appeal... I've thought about buying Hella or Blazers and adding a 5k DDM Tuning HID kit to make them match, but reading up on other threads for Fog light output... having a good HID kit in your headlight housing eliminates the use for even having good fog lights? Is this true? If so, I'd rather not spend the extra $45/$45 on projector fogs and a DDM tuning HID kit and just save my money.

If so, is there a way to get a 5k or matching brightness look without buying Hella projectors and adidng another HID kit to my fogs? Maybe buying a set of brand new Blazers and adding a Silvania bulb??

Thanks for any positive input or opinions!
Old 02-28-2013, 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

I have the DDM tuning kit for the head lights and foglights (factory housings on both vehicles) in my car and the TBSS. I can't really tell a difference with the fog lights off but I bought them anyway so they don't look goofy. An HID kit in 5K will be a lot brighter and a different shade than factory fog lights with different bulbs in them.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Launching!

I have both... I did the fogs so it would maintain the proper aesthetics but I don't need them to see at night. The lows are plenty bright. I have angled my fogs more to the ground not to blind other drivers.

Even though every minivan now has driving (fog) lights... I still think the add some sport look to the car at night.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

I agree with both of you, think I'll start looking into a great pair of aftermarket fog lights and stick with buying the DDM tuning 5k set... it would just not look right with dull fogs aand I want it to all flow together.

Question : when purchasing the DDM 35W 5k HID kit with the 880 bulbs for my fogs, do I need the mounting brackets, HID harness, Error Eliminator or Adapter cables??
Old 02-28-2013, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

THe stock fogs are blazer fogs already, just with the bulb going in at a right angle. FYI.

You don't need any error eliminators. Not sure about adapter cables. Mounting brackets... well I wouldn't get any and just fab my own or use industrial velcro to hold the ballasts in place. A harness would be a good idea because the wiring to those fogs is really thin.

I wanted my fogs to still be "useful" so I stuck with halogen bulbs, but just at a higher wattage. The Camaro's glass and metal housings handle the extra heat OK it seems.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am in the same boat. My fogs work with the OEM halogens, but I can't even tell if they are on or not. With the 9006 HID upgrade, it seems the fogs really aren't needed. If it were a year-round driver, I'd consider a set of yellow HID's for the fogs (for incliment weather), but since it's a good weather cruiser, I really don't NEED them, I just like the looks of them.

I saw someone mention in a thread that they just wired in white LED's to have them light up and match the headlights - obviously they will provide no benefit. I am considering doing this - saves me $50 on a DDM kit that will be basically useless to me anyway. Yeah, kinda ricer to have them lit up when they provide no purpose, but I like the looks. Worse case, I waste a couple of bucks in LED's.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am in the same boat. My fogs work with the OEM halogens, but I can't even tell if they are on or not. With the 9006 HID upgrade, it seems the fogs really aren't needed. If it were a year-round driver, I'd consider a set of yellow HID's for the fogs (for incliment weather), but since it's a good weather cruiser, I really don't NEED them, I just like the looks of them.

I saw someone mention in a thread that they just wired in white LED's to have them light up and match the headlights - obviously they will provide no benefit. I am considering doing this - saves me $50 on a DDM kit that will be basically useless to me anyway. Yeah, kinda ricer to have them lit up when they provide no purpose, but I like the looks. Worse case, I waste a couple of bucks in LED's.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

woah, how the hell did that double post?
Old 02-28-2013, 03:15 PM

I have a 2004 Grand Prix GT2. I have been back and forth about installing HID for years as I was worried about burning up my wire harnesses and melting my stock housings. Well I'm finally ready to jump back in and get the lows and fogs upgraded to HID using the DDMTUNING kits since I think they got most of the flickering problems solved.

Couple of Questions:
1) Has anyone on this site installed HID's in a 04 grand prix? Resluts?
- Since the housing is split for the turn signal and fog light I didn't know if they would get to hot or cause melting.

2) I'm going to go with 35watt lows and fogs
- What DDMTuning Kit would I buy for my lows?
- What DDMTuning Kit would I buy for my fogs?

3) I an between 5000k and 6000k color? Any suggestions/Preferences?

4) Will I need anything else (wiring harness, error code eliminator, mouting bracket, wiring instructions, etc...) to install both the lows and fogs?

Thanks for all your help and any replies that help me get this figured out. I will post pictures and a video of the install once I'm done.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Same here with gettin the hid dogs for looks, can't tell any deffierence with them on or off when headlights are on
Old 02-28-2013, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Ive researched the crap out of these fog lights and the only ones I can find are the same used ones I have on eBay?? Does anybody make a projector fog light for our f-body's?
Old 03-02-2013, 02:05 AM
On The Tree

i have 8k headlights and fogs, i bought them at 1320 performance in elk grove,ca im sure if u give them a call they will ship some to u or they might even have a website, goodluck on your search
Old 03-07-2013, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BAD2theBONE
Ive researched the crap out of these fog lights and the only ones I can find are the same used ones I have on eBay?? Does anybody make a projector fog light for our f-body's?
The stock 4th Gen Camaro fog light IS a projector light. My understanding is they are the same as those sold with the "Blazer" name.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always did my fogs along with the lows, because I like driving with the fogs and parking lamps on before it gets dark, looks wicked. I also keep them on with the lows anyway.

FWIW, I used to back DDM Tuning up cause I thought they were the **** with their prices, until I found out first hand you get what you pay for.

I put Morimoto projectors in my last Camaro, and I got DDM Ballasts.. Take a look at the output:

I thought something was wrong with my projectors, until i got a kit from the retrofit source:

I've since had 2 DDM ballasts blow. I HAVE had a DDM kit in my Impala for years now, and they've been alright.. but I want a new kit that's brighter, just don't wanna spend money yet. Get an Xentec kit off ebay instead.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:26 AM

Xentec Kit off ebay seems to work pretty decent in my experience. Easy Plug and Play.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i also have both. very nice at night.

they look at little weird in the pic, but in person theyre as white as ever.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running 6k DDM headlights and fogs. They match up well and look good. The fogs don't make any difference only looks.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Since the fogs don't seem to do much, even with HIDs in them, I am considering picking up a set of these:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...ing-light/151/

(hope superbright is a sponsor and I can post this)

Anyway, 880 replacement LED bulbs for basically $24 a pair. Just seems like less hassle than throwing an HID setup in the fogs - you get the looks, but don't have to worry about ballasts, burning up bulbs or the housing, upgraded wiring.

880's will fit our housings, right?
Old 03-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Teching In

yellow hids are a good choice for fogs
Old 03-14-2013, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

I ordered my DDM tuning 880 35w 5k HID kit 2 weeks ago and it shipped from China. It arrives tomorrow... Hell, I ordered BMR springs & Koni shocks package more than a week later and it'll be here the same time! Not too happy, but thats the sacrifice you take when ordering parts...

Quick Reply: HID Fogs With HID Headlights???