Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installed billet E-brake handle! Never seen an aftermarket one done on a 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 01:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Installed billet E-brake handle! Never seen an aftermarket one done on a 4th gen

Installed pics finally...Bottom of this post.

I busted out the welder for this one, but it could be possible to do without it, unless you really screw up.

NRG Hand Brake Handle HK-700SL

Cost me just under $32 shipped

My Redline Goods E-brake boot

This will go well with my brushed billet MBA shift **** and Redline Goods boot. Horrible picture, but you get the idea. No pics in the car yet! Won't be for a while. This was a spare E-brake assembly.

First step was seeing how far back the old one sat
(bottom was by the fist sticker) I had to file down that last inch as you can see it's slightly thicker, then steps down smaller towards the right.

Next I wanted to see how far back I was going to put the new one....its shorter. I also wanted the overall handle shorter because if I have the flip out cup holder open, the old handle would hit it with my hand.

Pulled out the old shaft...Notice it looks like a screw, but its not.

Drilled a hole in the center of the billet piece. I had about a half inch of solid aluminum. I went in less than a 1/4". Stuck it in and JB welded it. I also had to put rubber hose and a washer (not pictured) to give the spring more tension and mimic how the stock plastic button and spring function. You'll see what I'm saying in the above picture.

How the new one is going to sit. You can see I cut off about 3/4" off the steel handle to compensate. Taped up the new handle so I don't scratch it up!

Here you can see about what I did and cut off. I just cut the shaft and welded it back. At the time I didn't realize the end wasn't a screw. I thought I would just drill the hole in the billet and screw it in. I took off slightly less than what I did for the steel part. About a 1/2".

Cleaned up and ready to go back together. Gloss black metallic handle, flat black base. Notice the tabs I welded on the sides. The set screws go there. They weren't long enough otherwise.

Installed

LIKE A BOSS!

Last edited by HotWhipT/A; 04-08-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Very nice mod, Think you the first one done this. Nice write up as well.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks real good. That will def bring everything together. Don't forget to put up some pics of it installed.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

not gonna lie i came to this post cause ive had a really shitty day and i was hoping to poke some rice in the eye lol. BUT! to my surprise that looks really good haha. the shift **** will compliment it well and im sure its going to have a really nice feel to it. Great job, lets see some finished pics!
Old 03-23-2013, 02:08 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys. Yea, first one I've ever seen done. I had doubts it was possible because I've never seen anyone attempt it. I'm pretty handy so I gave it a shot. Well, it's definitely doable! I'm sure we'll see a few others attempt this nice little mod now.

Nothing rice about my car in any way if you know of the legend.

Like I said, this is a spare assembly. I won't be installing this for a while. I'm slowly getting in the of process of repainting my cage, then I can install carpet finally and put this bad boy in when I put the console back in. I already have my seats and console in the car. Not going to pull all that out till the other stuff gets done. Painting that cage and installing carpet is going to be a bitch.

Last edited by HotWhipT/A; 03-23-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's awesome, but also looks like alot of work. lol.

I like it. I currently have a GTO shift **** and wanted to somehow incorporate it better with the E-brake handle. Was thinking about some sort of custom handle being made, glad to see it's feasible.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

looks good, i like it.. but I think it looks better without the boot... a lot better
Old 03-23-2013, 07:18 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
That's awesome, but also looks like alot of work. lol.

I like it. I currently have a GTO shift **** and wanted to somehow incorporate it better with the E-brake handle. Was thinking about some sort of custom handle being made, glad to see it's feasible.
Same here, and I have the GTO pedals installed as well. All thats really left is the steering wheel and brake handle. I'm curious if we can get the brake handle to work like this... cutting and what-not.

Great job OP!
Old 03-24-2013, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Same here, and I have the GTO pedals installed as well. All thats really left is the steering wheel and brake handle. I'm curious if we can get the brake handle to work like this... cutting and what-not.

Great job OP!
Pics of GTO Pedals??

I was looking at the ebrake handle and it's got a bend in it. Not sure how it would work with our consoles. Would be interesting to see though.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:30 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Pics of GTO Pedals??

I was looking at the ebrake handle and it's got a bend in it. Not sure how it would work with our consoles. Would be interesting to see though.
When I get home off the rig I'll snap some and post them. My interior is SHOT, but I gotta say, my pedals look nice
Old 03-24-2013, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks very nice any interest in making one for a fellow member?
Old 03-24-2013, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Khaalathas
looks very nice any interest in making one for a fellow member?
I wouldn't have a problem with that. Since I know exactly what to do now, it'll be much quicker. Send me the assembly and the same handle and were in business.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty neat i like it and its going to complement very well, props! Did this also perhaps stop the dreaded e-brake rattle too?
Old 03-25-2013, 01:49 AM
TECH Addict

I don't think I had that rattle. I wouldn't know as my entire car shakes with dumped exhaust coming from my lopey 402ci motor.

I know what causes that rattle and yes this will eliminate it completely as this is solid as hell. Stuffing some thick cardstock between the stock handle will also stop it from rattling FYI.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where do you stuff the cardstock? lol.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

since the e-rod end was not threaded..............could you have threaded it and tapped the aluminum cap to take it? would that be easier?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Where do you stuff the cardstock? lol.
Not sure why its so hard to explain. Just think about it for a second. The back end....not by the button. In between the metal part and the leather handle. That rivet gets loose and caused the handle to rattle on the metal.

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
since the e-rod end was not threaded..............could you have threaded it and tapped the aluminum cap to take it? would that be easier?
It would be possible, but i ended up cutting out less material than the length of what looks like a threaded portion. Besides, I'd have to drill the hole anyways, but JB weld is much easier than taping and threading!
Old 03-31-2013, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can you remove the handle without taking out the whole assembly?
How do you remove the leather part and button from the actual brake lever/arm?

*Edit* Nevermind, I forgot about that rivet. Bah. lol.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Installed pics added. Bottom of first post.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

like the boot. like the handle. don't care for the way the boot comes up on the handle though.

Quick Reply: Installed billet E-brake handle! Never seen an aftermarket one done on a 4th gen