Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ebony vinyl/leather wrap

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Ebony vinyl/leather wrap

what's better to use, the vinyl or leather to wrap a dash pad? I've found several threads with great looking pieces, just nothing on the product that they used to get it there.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't had to do this on my ebony 2000 yet, but I helped my brother with his 99 with the charcoal dash.

We took the fuse box cover thing into a few fabric stores and got the closest match possible. We found almost a perfect match at hobby lobby of all places.

We used a vinyl that looked like non-perforated leather; mainly because of the cost, but I also understand it is a little easier to use because it stretches easier.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:03 AM
11 Second Club

The problem is there are only a few places around here that sell vinyl/leather. I was hoping for a site that people have used
Old 06-10-2013, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

If this is your first time doing this, I would stick to vinyl. Its much more forgiving to stretch and its more forgiving taking care of. As far as product heres some of my top recomendations. Whisper vinyl sold at Jo-Ann fabrics, Eduratex vinyl sold at yourautotrim.com or Miamicorp.com( eduratex is the vinyl used in the 07-current ebony Tahoe and Yukon interiors if you wanna see in person what it looks like), and lastly Ultraleather is a good one though a bit costly, google search ultraleather as theres a few vendors who sell it. All listed are really stretchy, have a nice grain pattern, is soft like leather, and have a good matte sheen( alot cheaper vinyl's are shiney and cheap looking).

Use Dap landau top and trim contact adhesive and spray it though a paint gun. A rattle can contact adhesive may work initially, but I garantee will lift over time, its just not strong enough due to the solvents that have to be added to allow it to spray from a aerosol can.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT4vert
If this is your first time doing this, I would stick to vinyl. Its much more forgiving to stretch and its more forgiving taking care of. As far as product heres some of my top recomendations. Whisper vinyl sold at Jo-Ann fabrics, Eduratex vinyl sold at yourautotrim.com or Miamicorp.com( eduratex is the vinyl used in the 07-current ebony Tahoe and Yukon interiors if you wanna see in person what it looks like), and lastly Ultraleather is a good one though a bit costly, google search ultraleather as theres a few vendors who sell it. All listed are really stretchy, have a nice grain pattern, is soft like leather, and have a good matte sheen( alot cheaper vinyl's are shiney and cheap looking).

Use Dap landau top and trim contact adhesive and spray it though a paint gun. A rattle can contact adhesive may work initially, but I garantee will lift over time, its just not strong enough due to the solvents that have to be added to allow it to spray from a aerosol can.
Thanks for the info! I'll probably go with the whisper vinyl
Old 06-10-2013, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

I went and got the vinyl from joann fabrics. It was on sale for 10.99 a yard. What's the best economical pneumatic spray gun and adhesive/contact cement?
Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
I went and got the vinyl from joann fabrics. It was on sale for 10.99 a yard. What's the best economical pneumatic spray gun and adhesive/contact cement?
The cheapest gun you can find at harbor freight or equivalent or used and definitely Dap landau top and trim.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:00 AM
11 Second Club

So im assuming that you cut it to fit then spray the vinyl and dash. Stretch around the edges and spray the underside of the dash?

Quick Reply: Ebony vinyl/leather wrap