Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine bay revamp take 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Engine bay revamp take 2

Well due to an unfortunate series of events I have successfully managed to wipe my cam and had to pull the motor. I figured this was as good a time as any to finnaly nail the appearance like I've been wanting too. Lotta work ahead but I know it will all be worth it in the end. Figured id start a build thread. Im in the clean up and painting phase while im waiting on parts.

The plans pretty basic. Changing the color of the motor to the right Pontiac blue, valve covers have been powder coated and all the brackets/strut tower brace are being matched. Wrapping the headers to try to help with some of the high EGT and underhood temps. I'll be going over the entire undercarriage with POR 15 as well as the k member and control arms. Respraying the engine bay with a high gloss black. Removing the HVAC box (going to try to retain the heater and just get rid of the A/C stuff). Redoing and tucking my brake lines, relocating the fuse box, and a few other little suprises while im in there. May try and knock the battery relocation out as well.

Heres a few pics of what ive been working on so far this week. Excuse the crappy cell phone quality.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh yes. Subscribing. Definitely want to see how this turns out.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a lot of work but def will be worth it.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

little update, got the intake painted and started putting it back together tonight. Debating having the fuel rails powdered to match the valve covers. Still need to sand the fins back to bare metal. Heres a pic of the valve covers which i had done last week. I think the two colors should contrast together nicely with the raw aluminum on the heads.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, should look very unique when done. Keep us posted with pics and info.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great start. Love the color.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

Big update today, got the motor set up on the stand and got a little more organized with all the parts that are laying around. Saturday im going to go ahead and get the cam pulled out and start cleaning up and going through the motor. Probably going to get the bay ready to spray as well.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Quick update: upon taking the cam out of the motor it revealed how completely screwed things may be. A lifter came apart and disintegrated... looks like it made it through the pump. I havent tore into the bottom end yet but Im praying the filter caught it before it got to any of the bearings. Im gonna look into my cost to rebuild it and there may be a drastic change in plans. Good chance this things going to be getting an LS motor now... I hate to give up on a 3 year long build but I'm at just about my wits end and tired of fighting with it. Want to be able to enjoy the car again and an LS makes alot more sense. Gonna start working on the bay next week and hopefully get some fresh paint on it... see where to go from there.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

Figured I'd go ahead and do an update since it had been awhile. Currently things haven't moved to far as I've been waiting on parts to get here. I did manage to get some paint on the block and get everything hospital clean again. Starting on the engine bay sunday if all goes as planed. Right now im trying to decide what route im going to go for the transmission as i really dont want to put a crippled monster unit back in (not that its a monster build anymore). Probably going to go ahead and do my blower while I have everything torn apart as well. Ill be pulling the hood fenders and bumper for the bay repaint so ill probably fab my intercooler mounts while im there and install a midwest chassis support bumper. Were going to spray POR 15 on the entire bay after we get everything prepped. Probably going to finish the wire tuck as well since its all apart. Should have some big picture updates in a few days

Quick Reply: Engine bay revamp take 2