Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C5 headlight options/review please

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 headlight options/review please

Ok so ive got a thought going on about changing out my headlights in my Z.

I really want peoples reviews of the aftermarket fixed headlights they have already.

i like the more flush looking headlights on the C5. now its just an idea but here are a few i like wondering if any one has them or has any insight on them. ive read a couple of old threads on google and wanted to know if opinions have changed over the years.

i like these since they blend in more and almost look C6-ish. image is way too big but i cant resize it in the code.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0_original.jpg

I REALLY like this LED look (if its bright enough) the thread i was reading was saying you should swap the wiring. anyone else have an opinion on these?

I wouldnt mind some depos if they were painted body color around the light or maybe even like this black.

and last but not least i REALLY like these as well, not fixed but i love that lazy eye look. but the 1100 price tag is pretty high. any way to modify the stock housings to go lazy like this and add some HID bulbs? i found an old thread but it wasnt finished and the pictures were gone.

Its just a thought, i still kinda like the pop ups because its new to me. but someone said they saved 40lbs total by switching to fixed headlights. ill probably post this on CF.com but im partial to my tech brethren.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ultimately, these are what you want. Expensive, but the best lights you can get for the C5.

http://www.toquez06.com/acafxr.html
Old 12-04-2013, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 427zm
Ultimately, these are what you want. Expensive, but the best lights you can get for the C5.

http://www.toquez06.com/acafxr.html
i like the writeup. thanks!

ultimately i may do a DIY sleepy eye mod. best of both worlds. low profile and still flip up. not to mention bright.

although i have some sort of HID kit installed because i have the ballasts and my lights are pretty bright.

maybe ill get those retro fight projectors and fab up something to mount to.

still interested in anyone who has fixed headlights opinions of their own.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sick_tight
i like the writeup. thanks!

ultimately i may do a DIY sleepy eye mod. best of both worlds. low profile and still flip up. not to mention bright.

although i have some sort of HID kit installed because i have the ballasts and my lights are pretty bright.

maybe ill get those retro fight projectors and fab up something to mount to.

still interested in anyone who has fixed headlights opinions of their own.
DopefedZ has them on his White FRC.

As for the write up, you met Toque at C&C last month. His website is the end all be all for all mods C5. Cleanest C5 in the country IMO.

Yes, yours has HID's, that's why you have to click the brights to get the buckets to close after you turn the lights off. The previous owner didn't add the needed resistors. I have a set laying around if you want them.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 427zm
DopefedZ has them on his White FRC.

As for the write up, you met Toque at C&C last month. His website is the end all be all for all mods C5. Cleanest C5 in the country IMO.

Yes, yours has HID's, that's why you have to click the brights to get the buckets to close after you turn the lights off. The previous owner didn't add the needed resistors. I have a set laying around if you want them.
i actually dont mind having to hit the brights. i thought that was stock

this seems to be a good winter project for me so im not tempted to do something more expensive haha.

ill definitely use his site as reference. speaking of C&C are you going this weekend? (weather permitting)
Old 12-04-2013, 11:52 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

That first LED option looks like a bad idea. I'd have to see the beam pattern, but my guess is that it'll be like a typical truck light bar.... bright light everywhere blinding other drivers.... or typical ebay crap with bad output. On or the other hand, I may be surprised. Any more info or link on those?

Regarding 427zm's post:
The FX-R is a good projector. Overall nice install, but it still needs to be sealed. That projector isn't meant to be left exposed.

Check out the forums on HID Planet. There have been some installs on C5s on there.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did my Z28 lights. i used morimoto H1s. i have no idea how C5 lights looks like from the inside. but those morimoto mini H1s are VERY compact and light output is amazing. make sure your get a quality hids otherwise its just a waste.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That lazy eye look grew quick on me! Those look real good IMO
Old 12-05-2013, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by VIP1
That first LED option looks like a bad idea. I'd have to see the beam pattern, but my guess is that it'll be like a typical truck light bar.... bright light everywhere blinding other drivers.... or typical ebay crap with bad output. On or the other hand, I may be surprised. Any more info or link on those?

Regarding 427zm's post:
The FX-R is a good projector. Overall nice install, but it still needs to be sealed. That projector isn't meant to be left exposed.

Check out the forums on HID Planet. There have been some installs on C5s on there.
i saw them online and they had a "demonstration" shot of them from the inside of the vette at night and it looked pretty comparable to HID's but a SLR camera can make anything look great.

yeah id go top quality retrofits and just make my own bracket/housing for them.

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
i did my Z28 lights. i used morimoto H1s. i have no idea how C5 lights looks like from the inside. but those morimoto mini H1s are VERY compact and light output is amazing. make sure your get a quality hids otherwise its just a waste.
definitely, i dont want to make this half assed. kind of how i feel most of these fixed kits are. so id like some actual reviews from people who have them haha

Originally Posted by silverWS.6
That lazy eye look grew quick on me! Those look real good IMO
i saw those lazy eyes and im hooked. just not $1000 hooked. apparently you can change the stops on the vettes (i dont know about the trans am) and its a load sensing switch which cuts them off so it should be fairly easy to get them to stop where you want.

i just need to know what kind of housing those retrofits would need so they dont short out.

Last edited by sick_tight; 12-06-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

sick_tight, I think you typo'd in your post. You made it sound like I saw those LED lights but I didn't.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by VIP1
sick_tight, I think you typo'd in your post. You made it sound like I saw those LED lights but I didn't.
damn multiple quotes haha. fixed, sorry, but heres the picture of the beam at night
Attached Thumbnails C5 headlight options/review please-_57.jpg  
Old 12-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by sick_tight
damn multiple quotes haha. fixed, sorry, but heres the picture of the beam at night
Wow, that is crap. That is not a headlight pattern. That is a bright flashlight pretending to be a spot or flood light either way, not a headlight. That must be blinding some people while doing crap all to actually light the road with any kind of width or distance.

Quick Reply: C5 headlight options/review please